Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have a duplicate on a character.

If it's "killed" the character stays live and I put the duplicate in the dead pile, yes?

If it's removed from play by any other way, same thing, yes?

If something clears *all* of your characters, but I have some duplicates, the characters with the duplicates would remain in my tableau and duplicates would be discarded, yes?

If I lose a military challenge I can kill off a duplicate so in essence not really lose a character, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RRG pg 7

Duplicates have Interrupt: When the overlapping unique card would leave play, DISCARD this duplicate to save that card. (Cannot be canceled)

Emphasis mine.

Duplicates are not attachments, so not sure how they would be removed in another way, but still discarded, not dead.

Wildfire Assault says this cannot be saved, so duplicated won't protect.

Varys discards all characters in play, so this should work.

Losing a military challenge would allow you to discard the duplicate to save the character, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Camp
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Having a duplicate on a character allows you to save that character whenever it would leave play (unless the effect causing it to leave play says that it can not be saved). This applies to effects that kill, discard, or return the character to your hand, including when it is selected for military claim. The duplicate is discarded, never placed in the dead pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay it looks like I was doing it correctly, except I was putting them into the dead pile instead of discarding. Thanks for clearing that up.

The only remaining question is Wildfire Assault. It says I can only keep 3 characters, so if I have a character duplicated and I decide that it won't be one of the 3, I have to discard both of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Duplicate discard is a save and Wildfire cannot be saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:
The only remaining question is Wildfire Assault. It says I can only keep 3 characters, so if I have a character duplicated and I decide that it won't be one of the 3, I have to discard both of them?

You discard the any duplicates on the character you do not choose and then you place the character in your dead pile since Wildfire Assault kills characters.

So in the case where you have a character with a single duplicate on them then you get one in the discard pile and one in the dead pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon_eater wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

You discard the any duplicates on the character you do not choose and then you place the character in your dead pile since Wildfire Assault kills characters.

So in the case where you have a character with a single duplicate on them then you get one in the discard pile and one in the dead pile.

Oof, that's doubly bad since you can't put out characters again that are already dead.

I guess the lesson is, don't kill any characters with duplicates already out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you lower a character's strength to 0 with cards like Dracarys, can you sacrifice to save a character then, or is this a special case? Because having 0 Str feels like a continuous thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to clarify on Varys, the characters with duplicates get to stay in your tableau, and only their duplicate is discarded, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malvoli0 wrote:
What if you lower a character's strength to 0 with cards like Dracarys, can you sacrifice to save a character then, or is this a special case? Because having 0 Str feels like a continuous thing.

This is correct. You have technically saved them from dying, but then the constant effect is re-checked and they are then killed again. Do note, however, than an effect like Risen from the Sea could save a character, if the +1 strength applied by the Risen makes them now no longer have 0 strength, as the terminal condition stops applying.

Shampoo4you wrote:
And to clarify on Varys, the characters with duplicates get to stay in your tableau, and only their duplicate is discarded, yes?

Yes. You discard their duplicate and they remain in-play, alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Aurelius
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, thanks.

Another question on duplicates, while we are at it. Can Aeron Damphair pull out duplicates out of the dead pile and apply them onto characters already in play? The word "put into play" is what makes me not sure if it should be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malvoli0 wrote:
Makes sense, thanks.

Another question on duplicates, while we are at it. Can Aeron Damphair pull out duplicates out of the dead pile and apply them onto characters already in play? The word "put into play" is what makes me not sure if it should be possible.

Yes, he can. From the rules:

Quote:
A player may marshal (or put into play by a card
ability
) additional copies of each unique card he or
she owns and controls, placed as a duplicate on that
card, for no cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malvoli0 wrote:

This has already been answered, but I thought I'd add that if you can't cure the continuous condition, you can't even attempt the save.

From the rules:
Quote:
If a constant ability or lasting effect imposes a
condition upon a card that would continually drive
it from play (for example, a lasting effect that applies to
a character over a period of time, and kills that character
if its STR is 0), any attempt to save the card must
also remedy the ongoing condition. Otherwise, upon
resolution of the save attempt, the card is immediately
re-exposed to the ongoing condition, and removed
from play. Therefore, if the save effect does not also
remedy the ongoing condition, it cannot be initiated,
as the effect has no potential to change the game
state
. As such, using a duplicate to save from such an
ongoing condition is also prohibited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin DaHead
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Malvoli0 wrote:
Makes sense, thanks.

Following rule book:
Quote:
Interrupt: When the overlapping unique
card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that
card. (Cannot be canceled.)

I believe duplicates go to discard pile not dead pile.
Quote:
Duplicates have no text, titles, characteristics, type,
or traits. A duplicate is only considered a blank
“duplicate card” while it is in play.

Am I correct?

Question from me:
I have a card with duplicate in play. Can I play Risen from the Sea before initiating Interrupt effect given by Duplicate card? Both actions are Interrupts so they trigger at the same time. Ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaHead wrote:

Question from me:
I have a card with duplicate in play. Can I play Risen from the Sea before initiating Interrupt effect given by Duplicate card? Both actions are Interrupts so they trigger at the same time. Ideas?

Yes, you could do that, but since Risen from the Sea is a save, you could no longer discard the duplicate afterwards, since the character no longer needs to be saved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Quinn
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about Rakharo's ability...
"Reaction: After a character is killed to satisfy claim during a challenge you initiated, Rakharo gains 1 power."

I'm assuming your opponent discarding a dupe, is technically not killing so no power for Eakharo??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Correct.
If a character is saved from being killed in any way (duplicate, risen, whatever), then he isn't killed, thus no effects requiring an actual kill trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DQTheMountie wrote:
Question about Rakharo's ability...
"Reaction: After a character is killed to satisfy claim during a challenge you initiated, Rakharo gains 1 power."

I'm assuming your opponent discarding a dupe, is technically not killing so no power for Eakharo??

Yup - no kill, no power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Quinn
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clearup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.