Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Callahan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had fun playing the game twice tonight, but we have a few questions:

1) Is there a limit on parts? Can I have 6 cannons, for example?

2) Can each place at port be visited only once per quest, or can I, say, pay 4 rum tokens and recruit 2 sailors in a round?

3) Boarding only happens during battle, right? So if your ship is touching a merchant ship, it's a smart play for me to blast that merchant ship with a cannon before you board it, I assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Spychalski Maaku
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tim!

1. You can have as many cannons as you want
2. Players visit port once per quest and also you can use only once each building in port except The Pit and The Market.
3. Yes, boarding have place only during battle, so it's smart to sink this merchant ship before other player can baording him.

Yarr! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Callahan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Follow up question:

The rule book mentions that NP ships can only act once, so what happens when an NP ship is a 5 and all the remaining player ships are at 4. Does the NP ship sink ALL the remaining player ships? Or does the NP ship just act "once" to sink a single ship and then the battle is over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
TimCallahan wrote:
Follow up question:

The rule book mentions that NP ships can only act once, so what happens when an NP ship is a 5 and all the remaining player ships are at 4. Does the NP ship sink ALL the remaining player ships? Or does the NP ship just act "once" to sink a single ship and then the battle is over?

The actions the NP ship takes are listed on the bottom of the quest card. Once those are done, the NP ships have finished their actions and you moveo n to player actions. THEN you move on to the battle phase where ships are sunk via normal means (comparing strength, not using cannons). The battle phase is not considered "acting" since you are out of the action phaase, so yes, the 5 would sink all the 4s as many times as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Omans
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
TimCallahan wrote:
Follow up question:

The actions the NP ship takes are listed on the bottom of the quest card. Once those are done, the NP ships have finished their actions and you moveo n to player actions. THEN you move on to the battle phase where ships are sunk via normal means (comparing strength, not using cannons). The battle phase is not considered "acting" since you are out of the action phaase, so yes, the 5 would sink all the 4s as many times as needed.

Wait, I thought the NP ship, and subsequent player battles are only between the closest ship. How would the 5 sink all 4s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Snamo Zont wrote:
Schwartzkopf wrote:
TimCallahan wrote:
Follow up question:

Wait, I thought the NP ship, and subsequent player battles are only between the closest ship. How would the 5 sink all 4s?

You keep resolving battles until all the ships are gone, basically. So once one 4 has been sunk, you compare the next closest ships. If the two closest ships together are the 5 and another player 4, then the 4 gets sunk. Only in the action phase do ships only get to act once. In battles they are involved as many times as they can be, based on proximity. Just because one ship was involved in one battle it doesnt mean it can't also be in the next battle, so long as the ships are the closest to one another again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Omans
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response - i came back here after rereading the rules to say exactly what you just did

I missed the "keep going until there are either no NP or no player ships". that was key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esa Ryömä
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it so you can board on both, during player actions phase AND battle phase.

If you want to board during the player action phase, you need to 1) be touching the enemy ship with your ship 2) use a Fire action.

We understood it so that every time you sink a ship, through Fire action or Battle, if you are touching the enemy ship you board it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Highnote
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group was playing Boarding the same way as Street, allowing it during the Player Action phase.

The definition in the Boarding box on Page 14 ("When your Ship and a NP Ship are touching, and you sink the NP Ship, it is called a Boarding") could apply where the "fire" action "sunk" an adjacent NP ship in the Player Action phase, as Street states.

But conversely, the entire "Boarding" rule box is located in the Battle section, which could also imply that it is only considered in that phase, as Makuu indicates.

From the other posts and that little Portal Games icon on Makuu's avatar, I'm assuming that Makuu's answer is the "right" one. However, our group has applied the "have fun" theme of the game to create a House Rule still allowing it during the Player Action phase. Is there a big reason for not allowing it that we are missing, or can we let our greedy boarders get an early shot at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoseheadTB wrote:
Is there a big reason for not allowing it that we are missing, or can we let our greedy boarders get an early shot at it?

after two full playthrough on my belt (ie, not much) I'd say it's ok as long as you consistently apply the rule for all players through all 11 battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.