Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first attempt at the Journey Down the Anduin quest with constructed decks (base game only) ended in frustration. A few turns in I'm doing quite well. I'm at stage II and I haven't lost a character yet. I flip up the Enchanted Stream location (you can no longer draw cards) and (foolishly) decide to travel there.

"I only need 2 progress tokens, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I can generate 9 willpower, that should be enough. (I only had 2 threat strength in the staging area at the time)"

So out come 2 Gladden Fields and a Goblin Sniper, bringing the threat strength up to 10. Also, since I can't attack anything, all that threat remains for next turn.

Next turn, realizing the danger too late, I go all out and generate 14 willpower. Alas, it's not enough as I get 2 more locations, and the threat strength climbs to 15. Out of cards and out of hope I give up, stuck in the Enchanted Stream forever.

So, anyone else ever lose due to being locked out of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb

I don't think travelling to the Enchanted Stream was necessarily a bad idea - was there a different travel choice? What was the other card?

The thing is, if you leave it in the staging area, then the threat could build up too much. You know what that feels like!

Could you have optionally engaged the Goblin Sniper? You should have been able to, unless there was already another enemy in the staging area - in which case you could have engaged that one? That would have dropped the threat by 2 going into the next quest phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting "location locked" is a very real threat in this game. When you have too many locations in the staging area generating enough threat to prevent you from clearing out the active location, you can be in real trouble. There can be ways to mitigate this, however.

In Spirit, there's Northern Tracker and Lorien Guide, who can put progress on various locations each quest phase. Or Strength of Will can help you put progress right after traveling.

In Tactics, Legolas armed with a Gondolin Blade or two can really help you take out the active location by doing what Tactics does best, killing things.

Leadership has Snowbourn Scout which can help you pick away at a location as well. If you've got some Sneak Attacks in hand, but can't find Gandalf anywhere, you could even Sneak Attack a Snowbourn Scout if you're really desperate!

But yeah, it sounds like you stumbled upon a nasty combo which prevented you from making any progress. Here's hoping you have better luck next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C

Centennial
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:

So out come 2 Gladden Fields and a Goblin Sniper

Are you playing with 3 decks? If so, it seems like you should have been generating way more than 14 willpower if you commit every character to a quest, since you stated you were several turns in (presumably having played a few allies) and hadn't lost a character.

But yes, that's happened to all of us. The final stage of the first Khazad-Dum quest prevents heroes from collecting resources, so unless you've played everything you need to by the time you advance there, you're going to be quite stuck. I think even one of the locations in that scenario also has the "do not draw cards" effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Network57 wrote:
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:

Are you playing with 3 decks? If so, it seems like you should have been generating way more than 14 willpower if you commit every character to a quest, since you stated you were several turns in (presumably having played a few allies) and hadn't lost a character.

But yes, that's happened to all of us. The final stage of the first Khazad-Dum quest prevents heroes from collecting resources, so unless you've played everything you need to by the time you advance there, you're going to be quite stuck. I think even one of the locations in that scenario also has the "do not draw cards" effect.

OP must have only been using two decks - IIRC, you draw one extra card during the staging of the second quest. They would have to confirm that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Network57 wrote:
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:

OP must have only been using two decks - IIRC, you draw one extra card during the staging of the second quest. They would have to confirm that though.

Confirmed, I was playing with 2 decks. I decided that I wanted to try building two decks, but 50 cards each was too many for just the base game, so I went with 40 card decks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! By the way, this game is fantastic. I do enjoy challenging solo games, and even though I felt frustrated at the time, now I feel up for some serious revenge. devil

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had the same thing happen to me. I've learned to treat Enchanted Stream with caution, and consider the worst case scenario before travelling!

In your case I think you would have run into trouble even if you hadn't travelled. 9 willpower is not a lot when you've 3 cards coming off the encounter deck. The second stage of Anduin is all about questing hard, and ideally you'll have an army of allies to contribute willpower and clear the stage in 2 or 3 rounds.

My favourite core set cards for questing are Eowyn, Faramir (his ability rocks!), Celebrian's Stone, Favor of the Lady, Northern Tracker and Lorien Guide.

But if that was your first attempt then you should give yourself a pat on the back. Most people don't make it past the hill troll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jnicol wrote:
I've had the same thing happen to me. I've learned to treat Enchanted Stream with caution, and consider the worst case scenario before travelling!

In your case I think you would have run into trouble even if you hadn't travelled. 9 willpower is not a lot when you've 3 cards coming off the encounter deck. The second stage of Anduin is all about questing hard, and ideally you'll have an army of allies to contribute willpower and clear the stage in 2 or 3 rounds.

My favourite core set cards for questing are Eowyn, Faramir (his ability rocks!), Celebrian's Stone, Favor of the Lady, Northern Tracker and Lorien Guide.

But if that was your first attempt then you should give yourself a pat on the back. Most people don't make it past the hill troll!

Thanks for the encouragement!

It was my first attempt with constructed decks. I tried it once with the pre-cons, and while I managed to kill the first hill troll, his buddy knocked me senseless!

That's when I decided that the pre-cons probably wouldn't get me through this quest and created my own decks.

By the way, do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on which expansion I should look for first? Any I should avoid? I'm not going to get into this game hardcore, but enough cards to make 2-4 decent fun 50-card decks would be cool.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
In Tactics, Legolas armed with a Gondolin Blade or two can really help you take out the active location by doing what Tactics does best, killing things.

Actually, the response on both Legolas and the Blade of Gondolin do not place progress tokens on a location but on the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevozip wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

Actually, the response on both Legolas and the Blade of Gondolin do not place progress tokens on a location but on the quest.

Are you sure? The rulebook says that, if there is an active location, then any progress tokens that would be placed on the quest card are instead placed on the active location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevozip wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

The active location acts as a buffer and intercepts any progress that would be placed on the current quest. So Legolas and Gondolin Blade would place progress on the active location until it is explored, then any remaining progress would go onto the current quest.

Card effects that place progress on the quest only bypass the active location if they explicitly say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
stevozip wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

The active location acts as a buffer and intercepts any progress that would be placed on the current quest. So Legolas and Gondolin Blade would place progress on the active location until it is explored, then any remaining progress would go onto the current quest.

Card effects that place progress on the quest only bypass the active location if they explicitly say so.

I am indeed mistaken. I misread this little snippet from the FAQ:

Quote:
Example: The rulebook (p. 15) reads: “Any progress
tokens that would be placed on a quest card are instead
placed on the active location.” Legolas (CORE 5) has
an effect that reads, “...place 2 progress tokens on the
current quest.” Legolas’ effect would place 2 progress
tokens on the quest; the core rule from page 15 instead
places those tokens on the active location. Thus, the
Legolas ability can successfully resolve
, and the core
rule can be observed, without creating a golden rule
situation.

I was thinking that because the Golden Rule says that card text supersedes the rule book, that both responses would place the tokens on the location, not realizing that they would have to say "bypass the location" for that to take effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
stevozip wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

Are you sure? The rulebook says that, if there is an active location, then any progress tokens that would be placed on the quest card are instead placed on the active location.

I was misinterpreting the FAQ. This also means that the 2 player game I did yesterday with a friend was won incorrectly. Haha, oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
ChrisSmith4773 wrote:
By the way, do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on which expansion I should look for first? Any I should avoid? I'm not going to get into this game hardcore, but enough cards to make 2-4 decent fun 50-card decks would be cool.

I've taken the easy route by buying expansions in the order in which they were released.

I'm still on the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle so I'm not qualified to make recommendations beyond that, but I've heard that the Khazad Dum expansion and its Dwarrowdelf adventure packs let you build powerful Dwarf decks, which is a very strong trait. My copy is in the post

Check out the Tales from the Cards buying guide if you haven't already. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the different expansions.

Be aware that the there is power creep in this game, so more recent scenarios will be extremely difficult if you only have player cards from the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to assume 3 threat per encounter card revealed. So, odds are you were revealing 9 threat and therefore...trouble! Remember at that stage there are no engagement checks so you can 'overquest' to clear an active location, and as long as you don't advance to stage 3 you can take out some enemies the next round. It's a tricky balance and it sounds like you got some bad luck. But I don't think I have ever traveled to the Enchanted Stream...unless I knew direct progress would be placed on it to clear it prior to the refresh phase. Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually assume an average of 2 threat per encounter card. But in the end, it's a card game. Sometimes the cards are stacked against you and you're screwed. Shuffle up and try again! :^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevozip wrote:
Jokemeister wrote:
stevozip wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

I was misinterpreting the FAQ. This also means that the 2 player game I did yesterday with a friend was won incorrectly. Haha, oops.

I also mistakenly thought Legolas only put progress counters on the quest. I did have him in play. I don't think I could have activated him on the 2 turns I got locked, but maybe there was still hope next turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jnicol wrote:
I've taken the easy route by buying expansions in the order in which they were released.

I'm still on the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle so I'm not qualified to make recommendations beyond that, but I've heard that the Khazad Dum expansion and its Dwarrowdelf adventure packs let you build powerful Dwarf decks, which is a very strong trait. My copy is in the post

Check out the Tales from the Cards buying guide if you haven't already. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the different expansions.

Be aware that the there is power creep in this game, so more recent scenarios will be extremely difficult if you only have player cards from the core set.

Thanks a lot for this link. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Nelson
Canada
Ladner
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Just for the sake of clarifying (since your comment about not being able to use Legolas has me confused), did you know that you can still optionally engage enemies on Phase 2 of the quest? Engagement checks aren't made (so enemies will not ordinarily engage you), but you can still make optional engagements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TipsyGamer wrote:
Just for the sake of clarifying (since your comment about not being able to use Legolas has me confused), did you know that you can still optionally engage enemies on Phase 2 of the quest? Engagement checks aren't made (so enemies will not ordinarily engage you), but you can still make optional engagements.

I did know that, but I didn't think I could engage with Goblin Sniper. Turns out I forgot that I could once he was alone. Whoops. That's at least two mistakes I made.

Quote:
Goblin Sniper text: During the encounter phase, players cannot optionally engage Goblin Sniper if there are other enemies in the staging area.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.