Glenn Smith

Maryland
msg tools
Deals with interpreting Team Bubbles and Narrative boxes when there are two actions that are not separate. See my example below. There are many others I could have used.

I have an ANY card whose Team Bubble says, 3 Soldiers may Toss 3 grenades and Shoot.
(a) Can I just Shoot?
(b) Can I just Toss a grenade?
(c) Or are they linked? If you Toss, you must Shoot.

note – if the correct answer is that I do not have to do both, shouldn’t the cards be worded like this, “up to 3 Soldiers may Shoot and/or Toss.

I ask this because is this attempting to reflect the Fog of War meaning that everyone that fires also feels the need to throw a grenade, or vice versa. For example, if you Shoot at someone far away, you still throw (waste) a grenade in that direction because of Fog of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it "and/or". So you can toss the grenade, shoot or do both.

The wording in many cases isn't the best in various places throughout the SMG system, but I can generally figure out the intent or just go with what I think makes sense. In your example, I look at it as it's allowing you do basically do 2 attacks/soldier if you able to, or want to. It's like a may Move and Move Again, or a Shoot or Shoot Again. It's giving yo the option of doing something special or heroic at times, but the situation may not always dictate that you'd have to do both of those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question is whether each of the three soldiers can throw three grenades.

I call it "gamer grammar" because not all of us are Enlish majors. (Engineer, checking in.) The direction to go with is that all of these actions follow all of the rules, so three soldiers may throw or shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
One other question is whether each of the three soldiers can throw three grenades.

I call it "gamer grammar" because not all of us are Enlish majors. (Engineer, checking in.) The direction to go with is that all of these actions follow all of the rules, so three soldiers may throw or shoot.

I just had the same question. Just got some German skirmishers I ordered and one of them has a "3 soldiers may move throw 3 grenades and shoot"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Smith

Maryland
msg tools
Another coincidence, I was going to buy some Skirmishers and Pathfinders this weekend.

So if I interpret this thread correctly, the your's (and mine) should read, "3 Soldiers may Move and/or toss 1 grenade and/or shoot."

How do you like the Skirmishers? I could find no details on them.

How many VPs is each one and what type of equipment do you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better use of grammar might be "Up to 3 soldiers may Move and then either Shoot or Throw a grenade." There will be some rules lawyer that wants to shoot a grenade, and I suppose that if it a rifle grenade armed soldier that will be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.