Hide
9 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Inspired by Others - Card Pyramid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hejtmanek
msg tools
Like many of you, I've been struggling to find room around my table for all the cards/tokens; especially with the expansion board for Blue Sun, and anticipating the arrival of Kalidassa.

After seeing some other cool solutions on this forum, I decided to attempt my own "Card Pyramid". I put protective card sleeves on all the cards, measured it up, and went to town with foam board, utility knife, and glue. I added some of the artwork just for fun by copying from the Firefly material and pasting that on the caps and the "billboard" area above. I left some open slots for the next expansion too. It took me about a week, doing a little at a time and letting the glue dry overnight, but I finally finished it up yesterday.

A couple pictures of the finished product. Now to find some new players to playtest it with!

Wineguy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which is more impressive. The card pyramid or the fact that you sleeved all of the cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hejtmanek
msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hejtmanek
msg tools
Dielotski: every once in a while you need to let your inner OCD take over. Card stuffing was an easy thing to do while watching something (Firefly of course) on TV. Now, let's talk about those soup cans in your pantry, are they all facing the same direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! The addition of the artwork is a nice touch. It looks like you've kept it's front to back footprint relatively short as well.

This is my most recent iteration (the previous two can be seen in my gallery):

I have been wanting to finish it off with artwork and contact & supply planet labels, but if I put any more effort into a card holder, I'm thinking I should focus on creating something collapsible for easy storage and travel.

Again, fine work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dielotski wrote:
I'm not sure which is more impressive. The card pyramid or the fact that you sleeved all of the cards!

Mine are sleeved too (darn OCD ) ... But this tower is a thing beyond impressive!

Plans? Please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hejtmanek
msg tools
dbolyard - yours looks great and was probably simpler with the generic box as a frame.

Thanks for the feedback - I will probably not post "plans" (not saavy enough with appropriate software), but will probably take some time to write out "instructions" which would include materials used, general approach etc. That way, anyone who wanted to improve on the design could do so.

Give me a few days to put those up.

Cheers!

WineGuyCO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the generic box that inspired the design. I had been toying with ideas off and on for weeks, until I was walking through Costco one day with my wife and spotted some empty display boxes. There were three of them just alike and I immediately saw my solution. I took all three of them home. That's what I made my first one out of:

I utilized the cardboard from the other two identical boxes to get the smaller parts...That's where I goofed. I've never been able to find the exact box again. So, I've settled for the medication display boxes. You can get them at Costco any time. They definitely work, but don't have quite the capacity potential of my first one. It really wouldn't take much to do the same with any old box. But these are quite sturdy, as they're made to display products.

Thing is, all three of mine are still floating around my gaming circle. Three of us own Firefly + all expansions. So, depending on who brings the game, they also lug the card holder :o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dielotski wrote:

On that note, what card sleeves did you use? I've come close to buying some a few times, but haven't gotten myself to shell out the money for them. With so many cards, it was going to be like $20-30 just to sleeve them...couldn't do it. Did you find a good brand that cost a little less than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.