Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's an upcoming dilema I've got.

So far I've found that playing with 3 heroes makes for a good solid challenging game, and it seems that all the stats bear out that 4 is really a good number to have at the table. When I've played with my son we played 2 heroes each, and we organized in a Villain, Me, Him, Me, Him, Environment, Repeat which worked really well for keeping the game flowing.

Tomorrow he has a friend coming over and wants to play a 3 player game, each of us with one hero. Now this will be his friend's first introduction to card/board gaming, they're both 8, and I really want to be sure we have a "win" but not one that feels hollow.

Are there any suggestions, short of having someone manage two heroes that will hit that sweet spot? I'm also trying to avoid declaring what 3 heroes we're going to use as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Blade is the default "easy villain." Even then, sometimes the cards do not go your way and he wins. I would say play him in maybe Atlantis or Isla Primalis for a more challenging game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the villain, I like Insula Primalis as a starting environment. Dinosaurs! And you don't have the denial frustration that Megalopolis can give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Blade is an easier villain, and makes a good introduction to the game; the Mobile Defense Platform lets new players know that sometimes, you don't just punch the villain. His deck has ongoings, one-shots and targets, and while it does destroy ongoings and equipment, it lets the players decide just what they lose.

Insula Primalis is a fun and easy to grasp environment, without all the frustrating "denial"of Megalopolis.

For heroes, I would give Legacy or Visionary to the adult so he can support the others. Tempest and Wraith are very good starting heroes because they are versatile and have good damage yields; Ra, Haka, Bunker and Tachyon can also work, although the latter two can be a little frustrating. Save Absolute Zero and Fanatic until they have a few games under their belts.

Playing with pre-teens, keep in mind that while they do get frustrated, they are also used to a level of failure. If you lose, just say, "Hey! Good training game! I think we've almost got it..."

Have fun, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind that Insula Primus with Baron Blade will often make you the targets of everything. Either way I suggest you play Legacy to buff them up and make the game easier for you all, it'll provide a good intro for it. Personally I think Ambuscade is an easier villain but he can also get off some mean shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to reinforce what others have said (and I was in exactly this position not too long ago), you should play Legacy and go first in turn order. This allows you to simply Galvanize each turn giving you more time to run Villain/Environment and follow how the kids are coping. I'd recommend Ra and Tempest as the other two heroes. Both can deal out the damage (kids love that!) and are straightforward. Haka is another option depending on the competence of the kids. Wraith can be overwhelming for a first-timer due the number of card draws and amount of equipment - Bunker even more so. Tachyon will be too frustrating (draw-discard, draw-discard, until finally dishing out the kapow!), and forget Absolute Zero and Fanatic for now.

Baron Blade is perfect and very thematic ("not the moon!"). And, as others have already said, Insula Primus because dinosaurs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wouldn't recommend Ra and Tempest as first choice, assuming Legacy for the adult player. That leaves Tempest as the only source of ongoing destruction, and that can be critical versus the Baron.

If the adult plays Visionary, Ra is a fine choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you play two heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.