Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vulch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Cosmic Encounter and one of the players was Vulch. Vulch has "the power of Salvage. Whenever any other player discards an artifact card (whether after playing it or not), use this power to add the artifact to your hand."

Scenario: Vulch is attacking a planet. Vulch plays an emotion card (the card that forces the two main players to negotiate) in an attempt to stop the defensive player from winning the encounter alone. In response to this card being played, the defensive main player then plays a card zap to cancel the Vulch's emotion card. Then vulch immediately picks up the card zap (the same card zap just played by the defensive player) and plays it to cancel the offensive player's play of the card zap.

Is Vulch allowed to pick up other player's artifacts that were just played and play them immediately to affect the same encounter? It appears that Vulch can pick up artifacts at any time during encounters and if the timing was right, Vulch could indeed play the card zap again, thereby cancelling the first card zap. (Card zapping the Card zap!)

If right, Vulch is one powerful alien! This game can really confuse me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this would not be allowed. The Artifact is not discarded until the effect is resolved. And the card must be zapped before it is resolved. If the Vulch has picked up the card, it's too late to zap it - with the same card or any other card. If the Vulch had had another Card Zap in his hand, he could play that one, and then pick up the one his opponent played. Also, if another Artifact (or Flare) is played during the same encounter, the Card Zap he picked up could be used at that time. But it really doesn't make sense for a Card Zap to zap itself.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulch plays Emotion Control. Another player plays a Card Zap to cancel the Emotion Control. Once the Emotion Control is successfully canceled, both cards - The Emotion Control and the Card Zap - are discarded, and only then Vulch can retrieve the Card Zap. Now it's too late for him to zap the Emotion Control because it's already canceled and discarded.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So what about in this situation: player 1 plays a card zap; player 2 plays a card zap to stop player 1's card zap; then Vulch picks up player 1's card zap (now resolved) and plays it to zap player 2's card zap. Is this allowed?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
homertve wrote:
Vulch plays Emotion Control. Another player plays a Card Zap to cancel the Emotion Control. Once the Emotion Control is successfully canceled, both cards - The Emotion Control and the Card Zap - are discarded, and only then Vulch can retrieve the Card Zap. Now it's too late for him to zap the Emotion Control because it's already canceled and discarded.


I question your response in regard to when the artifact card, Emotion Control, is discarded. According to the rules (pg 13) "...They cannot be played as encounter cards but may be played at other times. All artifact cards are discarded after they have been played." It sounds like to me that the Emotion Control would be discarded after resolved. Could the card zap be played to cancel the effects of the emotion control even after it is resolved as discarded?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Phil and Homer have alluded to above, the important thing to remember is that Artifact cards are only discarded after they have been resolved. So, using the scenario:

1. Vulch plays Emotion Control

2. Player A plays Card Zap on it

3. Player B plays Card Zap on A's Card Zap

4. B's Zap resolves, cancelling A's Zap and discarding it

5. Vulch's power triggers, Vulch retrieve's A's Zap from the discard

6. Having resolved, B's Zap is discarded

7. Vulch's power triggers, Vulch retrieve's B's Zap from the discard

8. Vulch's Emotion Control resolves.

At the point between steps 5 and 6, Vulch now has a Card Zap in-hand but it would be worthless to play it against B's Zap because that Zap has already been resolved. Playing a Card Zap now wouldn't undo the previous resolution (no, you can't create a sequence paradox).

Hope that helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:
So what about in this situation: player 1 plays a card zap; player 2 plays a card zap to stop player 1's card zap; then Vulch picks up player 1's card zap (now resolved) and plays it to zap player 2's card zap. Is this allowed?

Still no. The cards are not discarded until they are resolved. At that time, it's too late to zap them. The Vulch can, however, pick up both Card Zaps and use them later - assuming he's not either player 1 or player 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
dboyee wrote:
So what about in this situation: player 1 plays a card zap; player 2 plays a card zap to stop player 1's card zap; then Vulch picks up player 1's card zap (now resolved) and plays it to zap player 2's card zap. Is this allowed?

Still no. The cards are not discarded until they are resolved. At that time, it's too late to zap them. The Vulch can, however, pick up both Card Zaps and use them later - assuming he's not either player 1 or player 2.


Thanks for the info. So once the card is resolved, you cannot counter it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reinforcement cards are still discarded at the end of the resolution phase yeah?

EG Wild reserve can't grab a reinforcement just after its been added to one sides total?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.