GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

We are preparing Potion-Making for Kickstarter, the campaign is scheduled approximately for beginning of 2016.

This will be the Potion-Making you know, but with a few interesting twists in game mechanics and even with the game board! I'll write about it later with more details.

BGG forums are a great place to share ideas and to ask for advices. At the present moment, we are stacked with the very basic thing: how to name the game. Don't laugh, please! That's really the question we faced... and got stunned.

We know that "Potion-Making" probably does not sound best in English (however we are not sure, as we can't "feel" it, we are from Russia!), but we can't imagine any other name and at the same time Potion-Making is the title that everyone knows.

How do you think, with the upcoming enhanced edition, should it be called Potion-Making, or maybe Potion-Making Anniversary Edition (10 years passed since the game was published in Russia, 5 years since it was presented at the Essen Fair for the first time, that's a true anniversary for sure!), or somehow else? ANY ideas are welcome! Just ANY!

Next will be some questions about gameplay, if you'd like to participate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to track down a copy of the game for a while so I am pretty excited to hear that the game is being released again.

The only thing I would consider is dropping the hyphen. You have name recognition and several reviewers have reviewed the game so why complicate matters? At the same time a lot of names that would revolve around making potions have already been taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the idea we never thought about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius n Milan BGGs
South Africa
Stellenbosch
flag msg tools
Glad this is getting reprinted. I just got hold of a copy a couple of months ago (mailed from Sweden to Prague, while it now resides in South Africa! Thank you BBG!), and am enjoying it thoroughly with my 9 year old son.
I have played Practice and Guild so far. With Guild, I would consider making a 'tree' instead of a line with the Magnum Opus, so that there is not only one starting point that can lead to only one next step and so on. But if there can be two options to progress from a starting point every now and then, it puts it more within range. I do not think it would make it more complicated, more intricate maybe, but the game is already intricate, that is part of why I love it.
(Browsing trough University, I see that you did make potions which can be used for any potion, which has the same result).
I agree with previous post, I would keep the name and just drop the hyphen.
Excellent game!!
I am also curious about the Russian writing on the cards that were not translated and included in the English edition. Will this be added to the reprint? Can you post a couple of translations of the cards, so I get an idea of what is on the Russian cards please?
Good luck with the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply!

First of all, I'll show your comment to the game author (Sergey Machin), probably it will inspire him!

We are going not only to reprint the game, but to rebuild and enhance it. It will stay the same in its core, but a lot of things will be added or reorganized. Everything will be in English, of course.

Russian cards examples:
http://tesera.ru/game/Potion-Making_Practice/
http://tesera.ru/game/Potion-Making_University_Course/
http://tesera.ru/game/Potion_Making_Guild/
(This is the largest boardgame site in Russia. Let me call it "the local analogue of BGG.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited to hear that you will be releasing this game again. I have been eager to get my hands on it. I'm happy to help out with the process. As far as the name, I don't have any problem with Potion-Making and I like your use of the colon : as a unique characteristic of this collection.

Potion-Making: Practice
Potion-Making: University Course (Maybe University Degree or University Diploma?)
Potion-Making: Anniversary Edition

Good luck with the project. I will be watching.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, you should upload some of those images from tesera here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

We'll upload new images s soon as we will be sure how they will look in the Anniversary Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Johnston
United States
Mohawk
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the launch of the kickstarter for this? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The development was delayed with a lot of staff prepared for the Essen fair (games, etc). Now it will be continued. No news yet, but we are in the process and I'll keep the community updated here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hendricks
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four months later....any updates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly postponed for later. Game's author Sergey Machin does not have enough time now to develop the new edition of the game. He has a full bunch of ideas but lack of actual time to implement them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.