Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Modifiers for the hold check seem to apply variously to the hex in question vs. the hex where the original combat took place.

Meaning, after the unit has already retreated 1 hex and you find you execute Priority D, are these interpretations correct?

Hold Value of the current hex.
Steps in all Defending units in the stack the retreating unit finds itself in.
All attackers WERE across a river when they attacked into the defenders hex for combat.
Defenders WERE surrounded or OOC at the moment of combat.
All FURTHER retreat routes would require step loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steps in all Defending units --> only those that were attacked, no others
All attackers ARE across a river --> even if the unit retreats, the attackers are still across a river until the retreat ends (then they will advance)
Defenders ARE surrounded or OOC --> in this current hex.
All retreat routes would require step loss --> from this current hex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
What about if the attackers weren't across the river when attacking, and then the defenders retreat one hex moving across the river (so we have defenders-river-empty hex-attackers)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edgar Gallego wrote:
Steps in all Defending units --> only those that were attacked, no others
All attackers ARE across a river --> even if the unit retreats, the attackers are still across a river until the retreat ends (then they will advance)
Defenders ARE surrounded or OOC --> in this current hex.
All retreat routes would require step loss --> from this current hex

Right. Because the definition of attackers and defenders doesn't change.

Strictly interpret.

The only one that I now think is funky is the river stipulation, as Piotr pointed out but with my new clarity I'd say if a river separates the attackers and defenders, that is "across a river". In the consim sense, as long as the dudes that just kicked your butt are on the other side of a river crossing, you feel safer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But "across" is between immediate hexes, and refers to the attackers.

If you leave 1 hex distance and it's the defender who is across, it's not the attackers. In this case anyone could think that an attacker is not across the defenders' last hex river because they can trace a route from where there is no river. Across is between one river hexside and another adjacent, not 2 hexes beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. That makes sense when you strictly interpret the word across (edit: even though the language is still nebulous; "across a river" isn't enough information. You'd have to say "across a river from the defending hex." But I'm splitting hairs).

I argue that my interpretation makes consim sense (retreating units should be more likely to hold a position that is more defensible I.e. Making hold chance more likely having just crossed a river with first retreat hex), but you'd need more specific language (see above) to make it coherent as a rule in the RAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had this happen again, and I still feel unsure about how to rule this. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The intent of the hold chance river modifier is to encourage the defender to hold a river line. To clarify this the modifier "+2 if all attackers are across a river" should be more clearly expressed as "+2 if the defending units have not yet retreated and all attackers are across a river".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Okay. I didn't even consider...um...the simplest answer. Thanks, John!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JohnButterfield wrote:
The intent of the hold chance river modifier is to encourage the defender to hold a river line. To clarify this the modifier "+2 if all attackers are across a river" should be more clearly expressed as "+2 if the defending units have not yet retreated and all attackers are across a river".

FWIW The errata should probably mention this change for the player aid card too. (Hits and Step Losses: Assigning hits to defending allied units.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.