Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
237 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: Colosseum's coming back (as a Collector's Edition) - TMG obtained publishing rights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Tasty Minstrel Game's latest newsletter:

Quote:
Colosseum
Wolfgang Kramer is a game design genius. Or at least that is what his games tell me, and last year at Essen Spiele, Mischa and I got the opportunity to sit down with him. Now, I rarely get nervous about interacting with specific individuals (or Starstruck) but this was one of those rare times.

Shortly after introductions, I expressed my love for El Grande while trying not to go on and on about it. Anyways, we chatted for awhile, got to know each other and discussed the game business. He reminds me a lot of people that are in my family.

Over the next several months after Essen, we expressed our interest in reprinting Colosseum. With it passing from Days of Wonder back to the designers, he might have expected nobody to want the game. Because how would anybody really expect to provide an experience that is as good as Days of Wonder?

Well, we are attempting to answer that question with an Emperor's Edition. This will be something like a collector's edition at a higher price and with higher quality components. With the cost of manufacturing being so high on such a game, we will be Kickstarting the game.

We currently have it on our schedule for Kickstarting October 27th through November 13th.

If you would like to get text messages for this Kickstarter project, you can sign up here. Again, TMG never gets access to your phone number, because Mailchimp manages all of the messaging.

Hopefully the Collector's Edition fanciness doesn't set the price too high. A $300 Takenoko-style production would be too much, but a $70-100 Tokaido might do. Of course, I'd be thrilled with a $50 box for a game that could be had for $30 way back when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
I already bought an old copy for $120+, how depressing (for me)... how happy for everyone else. :3

I might get another copy if it's priced reasonably and looks even better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully agree. As I mentioned in the other thread, I am extremely excited about this, but I really hope that the price is still reasonable and not ridiculously expensive.

I guess a point of comparison might be how much copies of colosseum are priced at right now? I really hope it's lower though, much lower. Something around $50-65 would be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TMG's ONE Thing - AUDIENCE. Specifically trying to answer the question, "How can we be your favorite board game publisher?"

I mostly hope its not the same old TMG pretence at providing quality games for gamers worldwide yet hitting everyone outside of North America with huge shipping costs and making no genuine provision to take care of import fees/taxes etc ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The Over and Under on this is $99. You heard it here first.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah great news! Such a great game, glad to see others getting the opportunity to play it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The Over and Under on this is $99. You heard it here first.

S.

I'll take under.

TMG's big box games average $60 MSRP. I think they will recognize going triple digits will be too close to the insane secondary market prices already.

I am guessing $89.99 MSRP (big box game + $30 / 50% for "deluxe"), with $65-70 Kickstarter price based on their Scoville pricing ($60 MSRP, $40 Kickstarter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cassidy
Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia (BC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess it would be close to the Orleans Deluxe Edition, but a little higher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAlive wrote:
I would guess it would be close to the Orleans Deluxe Edition, but a little higher

Unfortunately, I missed out on that one. Hopefully the same won't happen with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
stuchii wrote:
BoardsAlive wrote:

Unfortunately, I missed out on that one. Hopefully the same won't happen with this one.

Same, I'm still sore on missing out on the Orleans Deluxe Edition. ;___; You can sign up for the newsletter to make sure you don't miss out on the Colosseum one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be buying this since I'm quite happy with my older copy, but I'm glad it's happening. Colosseum definitely deserves a reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
stuchii wrote:
BoardsAlive wrote:

Same, I'm still sore on missing out on the Orleans Deluxe Edition. ;___; You can sign up for the newsletter to make sure you don't miss out on the Colosseum one though.

Already signed up for the TMG newsletter. Did it as soon as I found out about these news so I would not miss it this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is super exciting news! TMG is doing a bang up job getting quality games! Such a great company. I don't think they'll rip us off on the KS if the Orleans KS is any indication. The price was MORE than fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought my copy for like ~$20 bucks [via Craigslist] with full intention on selling the puppy for $100+ AND THEN I played the game. Copy will not leave my shelves. Hopefully the KS will have some sort of add-ons that I can purchase alone [assuming it expands the game].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
...and my heart grew three sizes that day.

Seriously, I was like, "how does a flagship Kramer game go to game rights purgatory?!"

...and now it's out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping if they do any additions / expansions to the game, they do it in a way that's as version neutral as possible, so those that have the DoW version can purchase them separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the link to get a text message when the Kickstarter launches.

LINK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
Here's hoping if they do any additions / expansions to the game, they do it in a way that's as version neutral as possible, so those that have the DoW version can purchase them separately.

Emphasis mine. I thought one big barrier to a reprint had been that Kramer and Lubke had the design rights, while Days of Wonder had the art rights. I have doubts about how similar the versions can look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they can make the components nicer than the original game, I'll be shocked. I'll buy it at almost any price if it is, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Quote:
TMG's ONE Thing - AUDIENCE. Specifically trying to answer the question, "How can we be your favorite board game publisher?"

I mostly hope its not the same old TMG pretence at providing quality games for gamers worldwide yet hitting everyone outside of North America with huge shipping costs and making no genuine provision to take care of import fees/taxes etc .. :what:

Worldwide shipping costs, fees, and taxes are a reality of having a game shipped internationally. I don't get why people whine over and over again about this. The company didn't make them up - they are real costs associated with selling to you that aren't present when they sell to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
reddish22 wrote:

Worldwide shipping costs, fees, and taxes are a reality of having a game shipped internationally. I don't get why people whine over and over again about this. The company didn't make them up - they are real costs associated with selling to you that aren't present when they sell to me.

Yes but one look next door at Stonemaier games shows it can be done a lot better with a little strategic thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Yes but one look next door at Stonemaier games shows it can be done a lot better with a little strategic thinking.

Sure, and I love Stonemaier, but I'd rather not subsidize other people's purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
reddish22 wrote:
apotheos wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Sure, and I love Stonemaier, but I'd rather not subsidize other people's purchases.

mmmmmm.....I don't think he does that. He does charge more for non-US backers. Just a much more reasonable amount than other KS creators since he knows what he is doing when shipping internationally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
apotheos wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

From what I unerstand that is not what they do. Real difference is that they don't ship everything from the manufacturer to US and then to other regions, but directly to regional distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought metal coins for my copy of Colosseum. I wonder if TMG will get metal coins for their copy as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.