Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
237 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 

Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: Colosseum's coming back (as a Collector's Edition) - TMG obtained publishing rights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a heads up, the KS wont be launching this week. Michael Mindes would like to have more artwork to present, and Daniel wants a concept for the metal coins. Hopefully next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooo! I had calendar alerts, I wrote it on my dry erase board, put it in my Outlook, Google, and Insta-face-tweet. All at once today I got dings and chirps telling me that it's time to back this. shake Boo!

But if it's a penny over $70, I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Its looking like its only a week pushed out. Its not gonna be over $70. I'll post here when I know more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack mercenary for hire
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="TWrecks"]Nooooo! I had calendar alerts, I wrote it on my dry erase board, put it in my Outlook, Google, and Insta-face-tweet. All at once today I got dings and chirps telling me that it's time to back this. shake Boo!q]

I did precisely the same thing cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AWTama wrote:
Its looking like its only a week pushed out. Its not gonna be over $70. I'll post here when I know more.

Do you know if it's being pushed to Nov 3 (Tues) or a different day next week?

Not that I think there will be "early bird" slots or anything, I just have this strange and unusual compulsion to join kickstarters from Day 1 whenever I can.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess I would start on Tuesday again. Supposedly there is a statistical benefit for campaigns to fund higher if they begin on a Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
There wont be any early birds, and I'll check when Daniel plans to launch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should strongly consider posting a few images and art to build up some more expectation before the KS. We haven't seen much of the new edition and you have little feedback from the users about the art.

If you post some art and images you can get some feedback from users(and do something about it) and build up hype, you will get a better KS result.

We have already seen Age of Empires, the begun the Ks and from the start up there was a huge discussion about the new map art(they revealed it shortly before the KS), many people didn't like it at all, in the end it was too late to change anything and they went ahead with it, they lost many backers because of that choice. Instead they could have planed(and budgeted) for a double side board with different art on each side, they would have gotten more backers, but that kind of planning can't be done the week before the KS.

Colosseum has a well tested ruleset, but many of us are expecting a something more from the new edition, more spectacles, some extra items, a small expansion... if you reveal a little about this kind of choices you could get more feedback from the community and do a better version of the game. These should not be done the week before the KS, nor in the middle of the KS. Anyway, just some critical advice, I will back it nevertheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakecoldwinter wrote:
You should strongly consider posting a few images and art to build up some more expectation before the KS. We haven't seen much of the new edition and you have little feedback from the users about the art.

If you post some art and images you can get some feedback from users(and do something about it) and build up hype, you will get a better KS result.

We have already seen Age of Empires, the begun the Ks and from the start up there was a huge discussion about the new map art(they revealed it shortly before the KS), many people didn't like it at all, in the end it was too late to change anything and they went ahead with it, they lost many backers because of that choice. Instead they could have planed(and budgeted) for a double side board with different art on each side, they would have gotten more backers, but that kind of planning can't be done the week before the KS.

Colosseum has a well tested ruleset, but many of us are expecting a something more from the new edition, more spectacles, some extra items, a small expansion... if you reveal a little about this kind of choices you could get more feedback from the community and do a better version of the game. These should not be done the week before the KS, nor in the middle of the KS. Anyway, just some critical advice, I will back it nevertheless.
I agree with everything said here, except I will not back this version if it is just an art overhaul. DOW edition is already fantastic and I already own it. Need something more out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
image# 1 is posted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
☆Free the winds☆
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
image# 1 is posted
Hm, not sure how I feel. I wish it got a re-theme too (circus?), since the art style seems more fitting for something... less gladiatorial... Ah, well, I'll probably still back it to extend the life of my DoW copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to do an artwork overhaul in order to reprint it. Metal coins, thicker boards, new events sounds pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Roehr
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is this image 1? Am I missing this somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zman3382 wrote:
Where is this image 1? Am I missing this somewhere?

Here: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2729904/colosseum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Roehr
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Immediate reaction is pretty mixed. Recognizing it can be tough to accept what seems to be a rather thorough re-imagining after we've been so accustomed to the existing feel, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the rest of the design looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial thoughts -- eh. But I'm definitely intrigued on seeing more...

It's just going to be a tall order to reproduce Colosseum given that the DOW version is so well made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new cover art is so different that it caught me off guard and I reacted poorly to it.

I think the part of me that doesn't like change colored my first impression unfairly. The new art is beautifully done and the composition is very pleasing; I do like it.

Perhaps the cartoon art direction challenges me to mentally re-categorize this game from a serious strategy game more toward the family game category (which it is: It doesn't actually change the game, just my perception of it).

Bottom line: the new direction is growing on me. Now that I am becoming more comfortable with it, I can see that it does start to make the previous Days of Wonder art start to feel a bit dated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the KS got pushed back to sometime in (early?) 2016, perhaps they'll revisit the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait! What? Is that for real? How do I keep up with it? It's probably because people started bagging on the art. Artists have feelings too! Artists lives matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Wait! What? Is that for real? How do I keep up with it? It's probably because people started bagging on the art. Artists have feelings too! Artists lives matter.

Apparently.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b6c6621585cb5a03970bd486...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
So, the KS got pushed back to sometime in (early?) 2016, perhaps they'll revisit the cover.

They announce that the KS is delayed a day before it's expected to launch, then release one piece of artwork and it's now delayed months? This is pretty weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:

I was expecting some classy art and instead got something cartoon-ish, mostly uninspired. I hope the delay leads to better art...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I was really hoping this would drive down costs on the DoW edition.

I now suspect this will not be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing for sure, the new art is sure to not please everyone.

I think that the old version offered a very realistic art and now people are shocked to see this new cartoonist art.

Personally I think I like it, I'm eager to see the rest of it, but I would not be displeased if the overall art of the game was this kind of cartoonish.

I think a very important part will be to offer more content in this new version and do a better hype for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To speak briefly on the direction of art for the TMG version:

We expect people, regardless of how the art looked, to vocally be negative about it (they are about every game, from every company). This is the internet, it's easier and more common to be negative than positive, and as a reprint of a classic euro, this game is going to have a big target on its head.

People are looking at the cover and comparing it to the cover of the prior version, as should be expected. However, we wanted consistency between our cover and our contents. Had we gone with a gritty cover (which would not have matched the gameplay), people would be freaking out about the grittiness and be pointing at the components of the prior version as "evidence" that we're doing it wrong:

Regardless of unrealistic comparisons, every style of art will have people who don't like that style.

I had put the cover in the geekmod queue right before the decision to delay the launch was made, the two are unrelated. It's ok that it's out there, and we'll probably put up more art as things move closer to final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] |