Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
237 Posts
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [10] | 

Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: Colosseum's coming back (as a Collector's Edition) - TMG obtained publishing rights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintGiles wrote:
lamaros wrote:
SaintGiles wrote:
My interest in Colosseum started precisely because it allowed for free trading, and Catan distinctly came to mind. While I realize that certain Catan players will vehemently hold to the idea that trading in such a game is suboptimal and/or not fun, I have found the opposite. The thing about free trading that isn't restricted by certain rules is that the trades can be as complex as you and your fellow players can imagine them to be. When we trade in Catan, it comes with promises about the circumstances regarding expansion on the board, about how the bandit will or will not be placed in the future, or from which player cards will be randomly stolen, to name but a few. I find that interesting, dynamic, and fun.

To each his or her own.

Some of these things you suggest might not be allowed by the rules of Catan. (You can't trade for promises on their own, etc)

laugh Could be. I haven't read the rules to Catan in over 15 years. Perhaps we have house rules, then. Either way, we're pleased with how the game has evolved within our group.

And that is all that matters, games are meant to produce fun, so if it is for your group awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilponybrigade wrote:
Is this still the thread to complain about the box art?

Box art?? I thought this thread was about Orleans being late......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Oliveira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
Copacabana
badge
Bruno
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they're not minimizing this art issue.

I'd reconsider to back it on KS with that new awful teenager art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AcemanBR wrote:
I really hope they're not minimizing this art issue.

I'd reconsider to back it on KS with that new awful teenager art

bad art colosseum >>>> no colosseum

The game definitely shines, too bad gamers didn't recognize it at first.

**Though I do not think the art is that bad anyhow, I think it's just a matter of DoW's version being so well produced that people simply won't like the change**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
What is interesting today is that for so many gamers, any game that came out prior to say 2008 or even 2010 seems old. Some almost ancient. As there are just so many new games each year (most rather mediocre). So with Colosseum we struggle finding people who own the game and who then bring it to a game night and teach it. As they have to compete with all the people who bought the shiny new games (often without ever having played them and who, after playing them, find out their are mediocre). We can hope and pray that the new edition sparks some new interest. Then people with the old and new versions can bring and teach to a new generation of gamers who think it is a shiny "new" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
are there any news on dates? (or did i already miss the kickstarter cry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elitusprime
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter starts March 22nd.

Estimated price $60 USD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the art of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
El_Mutanto wrote:

I believe TMG said that there will be a sleeve available for the game if you don't like the new cover. So that is a solution for those of you who were letting the box art get in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
El_Mutanto wrote:

I believe TMG said that there will be a sleeve available for the game if you don't like the new cover. So that is a solution for those of you who were letting the box art get in the way.

Better solution: Put terrible art on sleeve so I can throw it away.

Remaining Bigger Issue: Rest of game art still likely to match terrible art style.

I think TMG just has a knack for making things look trashy and cheap. It goes all the way back to slapping that ridiculous green dragon on the cover of Rialto. And I may be mid-remembering, but aren't they also the guys who throw a bunch of ads for games around the rim of the inner box?

Part of the stigma of boardgames is that they are cheap trash things designed for children. Advertisements and cheesy art are fine on these objects designed for kids, which are just going to get trashed anyways, right? But part of the larger appeal of the boardgame renaissance is that we have games that are good, that don't look like they are for children, and have the general appearance of art and value - things adults can look at and appreciate the item as something that is not just frivolous. TMG's design style generally undermines this in as many ways as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
aren't they also the guys who throw a bunch of ads for games around the rim of the inner box?

They are--as does FFG, CMON and half the other game companies out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
aren't they also the guys who throw a bunch of ads for games around the rim of the inner box?

Either you don't know what I am talking about, buy from totally different game companies, or are just full of shit.

I just went and checked on the FFG and CMON games I own. No ads present around the rim of the inner box on any of them (granted, I have very few).

I also randomly checked newer games I have from Alea, Minion, Z-Man, CGE, Mayfair, Pearl, Ystari, AEG, Plaid Hat, IDW, IELLO, NSKN, Repos, Days of Wonder, Space Cowboys, Ravensburger, Red Raven, Queen, Stronghold, Bezier and Rio Grande Games, and probably a few others I'm not recalling.

TMG and Minion games were the only two to place advertisements for other games around the rim of the inner box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The kickstarter is up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
Hillean wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

Either you don't know what I am talking about, buy from totally different game companies, or are just full of shit.

I just went and checked on the FFG and CMON games I own. No ads present around the rim of the inner box on any of them (granted, I have very few).

I also randomly checked newer games I have from Alea, Minion, Z-Man, CGE, Mayfair, Pearl, Ystari, AEG, Plaid Hat, IDW, IELLO, NSKN, Ravensburger, Red Raven, Queen, Stronghold, Bezier and Rio Grande Games, and probably a few others I'm not recalling.

TMG and Minion games were the only two to place advertisements for other games around the rim of the inner box.

I'll scope mine out when I get home, I'm thinking Battlestar had ads and maybe some Gale Force 9 stuff, but I don't tend to pay attention to them so I may be wrong.

Kickstarter is up, as TheOriginalJwoo mentioned... same art that everyone dissed on, gold coins and mediocre meeples.

Hmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
The kickstarter is up!

Ha, and the box sleeve is, as expected, almost as bad as the cover art. Almost. But still not good enough. Pass.

Edit: And they put the hideous dragon that clashes with every piece of box art ever on the sleeve too, it would seem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Huffman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
this reprint is awful. The art does not fit this game, period. I guess if it was a Disney game, it'd be fine. I am astounded that the folks at TMG ignored everyone.... oh wait they put a sleeve with new art on the box as a compromise? Good solution. shake

Then they have the bubble wrap as a perk.... what? Why is that extra that we the customer should pay for? Shouldn't quality of a product be on the top of any manufacturer's list? I mean if something is damaged, isn't that bad press.... bad publicity.... bad persona? Shouldn't the box/game be protected to the highest degree so you don't have to replace games later?

And adding coins... like that is what has been holding everyone back from buying this Kickstarter.

And the meeples that were chosen are awful as well. I'd pay big bucks for nice minis and a quality artist. Why is TMG so cheap? Artists like Jake Murray, Lucas Graciano, Eve Ventrue, Daren Horley, Arkadiusz Banas... there is a long list of artists that would be perfect for this game. -sigh-.... oh well. Another disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the 'don't really care about the art' group but will have to admit, the overall presentation is bad. I actually didn't mind the cartoony cover.

My guess is that they really couldn't do a drab realistic look as it would be too similar to the Days of Wonder edition. My guess they wanted it to be unique and different. Just a poor choice.

Things that really stood out at me (outside of the art):
Those senator meeples look really bad -- even with the silk screen print.
The scoreboard goes counter clockwise.

Only perks I like:
- Pentagon board with each player having a side [I'd normally not play w/ less than 5]
- Metal coins
- Column scoring markers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
nate_lockhart wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
The kickstarter is up!

Ha, and the box sleeve is, as expected, almost as bad as the cover art. Almost. But still not good enough. Pass.

Edit: And they put the hideous dragon that clashes with every piece of box art ever on the sleeve too, it would seem.

You mean their logo? Yeah that's kind of important. Even Bombyx put their logo on Abyss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
The kickstarter is up!

You mean their logo? Yeah that's kind of important. Even Bombyx put their logo on Abyss.

Yes, I mean their logo. It is a hideous blight they apply to everything they do, as they should of course. As a company, it needs to be there. And theirs has the outstanding quality that it really sticks out. Too bad it also looks childish and cheap, so being prominent is a downside - at least from the perspective of a customer who cares about aesthetics. Probably too late after they put money into creating it and getting it all protected and stuff, but they maybe should have gone with something less tacky from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this angst over the components and art highlights the fact that the appeal of this game has always lain mostly in its presentation.

Played it years sgo-- it was way overlong and offered generally subpar gameplay. There are so many better options to play these days that you won't miss much if you don't back the KS in my opinion.

To those who wanted a reprint, congrats. You will get a reasonably priced new game. To those thinking about it, your 60$ is probably better spent on a better game, regardless of art and component choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
Hillean wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

I also randomly checked newer games I have from Alea, Minion, Z-Man, CGE, Mayfair, Pearl, Ystari, AEG, Plaid Hat, IDW, IELLO, NSKN, Repos, Days of Wonder, Space Cowboys, Ravensburger, Red Raven, Queen, Stronghold, Bezier and Rio Grande Games, and probably a few others I'm not recalling.

Fantasy Flight has put adds on the inner box rims for a long time. You'll have to forgive the pictures - I wasn't going to bother uploading them so I just searched for gallery images where they were visible.

I think I first noticed it on some of the small box games like Citadels and Colossal Arena:

They are on new Star Wars games like Imperial Assault: Return to Hoth and Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion:

They are on some classic, older games like Through the Desert:

And on titles that are iconic to Fantasy Flight's identity, like Twilight Imperium: Shards of the Throne (oddly, has an add for Twilight Imperium: Shattered Empire):

You may think this is tacky, but FFG has been doing it long before TMG ever existed. Before I found BGG, I always loved opening up a game and finding these little hidden banners - they pointed me towards other games I might never have found otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that final art, it looks like the game has been hand drawn as an early sketch and not finished yet at least. Especially the board. Seems very hard to actually make out the spaces, and the tokens seem far too noisy.

Not to mention the art doesn't seem to be consistent in tone between the pieces. Looks like this is a miss for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
Hillean wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

Fantasy Flight has put adds on the inner box rims for a long time. You'll have to forgive the pictures - I wasn't going to bother uploading them so I just searched for gallery images where they were visible.

I think I first noticed it on some of the small box games like Citadels and Colossal Arena:

They are on new Star Wars games like Imperial Assault: Return to Hoth and Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion:

And on titles that are iconic to Fantasy Flight's identity, like Twilight Imperium: Shards of the Throne (oddly, has an add for Twilight Imperium: Shattered Empire):

You may think this is tacky, but FFG has been doing it long before TMG ever existed. Before I found BGG, I always loved opening up a game and finding these little hidden banners - they pointed me towards other games I might never have found otherwise.

Nice, thanks much for backing me up--I got home yesterday and forgot to scope any boxes out. I also recall that most FFG titles include a little booklet showing off their other game titles in addition to the rim advertisements. I like these booklets, although they're usually the same schlock from front to back, it gives my 1 1/2 year-old something to look at from dad's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamezendo.com wrote:
All this angst over the components and art highlights the fact that the appeal of this game has always lain mostly in its presentation.

Played it years sgo-- it was way overlong and offered generally subpar gameplay. There are so many better options to play these days that you won't miss much if you don't back the KS in my opinion.

To those who wanted a reprint, congrats. You will get a reasonably priced new game. To those thinking about it, your 60$ is probably better spent on a better game, regardless of art and component choices.

Of all the conclusions one could draw from this discussion, I think this is the most unfortunate. But, tastes vary. Colosseum is a great game, unlike any other in my collection, and we love playing it. I think missing out on it would be a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
Hillean wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:

Nice, thanks much for backing me up--I got home yesterday and forgot to scope any boxes out. I also recall that most FFG titles include a little booklet showing off their other game titles in addition to the rim advertisements. I like these booklets, although they're usually the same schlock from front to back, it gives my 1 1/2 year-old something to look at from dad's game.

I'll concede on FFG. I stand by my assertion that it is not "half the other game companies out there", nor even close. Which was really the point.

Booklets don't bother me. Just throw them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.