Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've never heard it pronounced any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I would've intuitively pronounced it with the "y" like the "i" in "ice, and the "th" sounding soft, like at the end of "wealth".

Rather than the "y" like the "igh" in "sigh" and the "th" sounding hard, like in "this".

Is my way really not an alternative pronunciation? Maybe American vs British?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Funny, I would've intuitively pronounced it with the "y" like the "i" in "ice, and the "th" sounding soft, like at the end of "wealth".

Rather than the "y" like the "igh" in "sigh" and the "th" sounding hard, like in "this".

I thought your way matches the video?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

You and I must pronounce wealth and this differently because the TH sounds the same to me when I say either. Same with ice and sigh too. Both are pronounced the same by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

You and I must pronounce wealth and this differently because the TH sounds the same to me when I say either. Same with ice and sigh too. Both are pronounced the same by me.

Interesting. OK what do you pronounce with a soft "th" then? "Stealth"? So sub that in

Weird about "ice" and "sigh" too, definitely very different for me, "sigh" for me has a drawn-out "aye" to the vowel, whereas "ice" has a shorter vowel, more like "bite". But, I could see with a southern drawl maybe "sigh" and "ice" being the same.

Maybe I've been pronouncing "scythe" wrong my whole life?

I'm not a linguist so I'm not sure, but according to this:
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/10/scythe-sigh.html
I think my pronunciation of "scythe" might be described there as a

very extraordinary pronunciation of this word prevails in London, and, what is more extraordinary, on the Stage...so different from every other word of the same form as to make it a perfect oddity in the language...a palpable contempt of orthography.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

No, JohnnyDollar's way uses a hissing "th" like in "wealth" while the proper pronunciation has a buzzing "th" like in "this".

One interesting (or not interesting depending on your POV ) fact: you can't whisper "scythe" because the buzzing part of the "th" sound comes from vibrating your vocal cords in a way that you can't do when whispering. Give it a try!

For the record I'm American (well, speak with an American accent anyway) and always pronounced it with a buzzing "th".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
lfisher wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

No, JohnnyDollar's way uses a hissing "th" like in "wealth" while the proper pronunciation has a buzzing "th" like in "this".

One interesting (or not interesting depending on your POV ) fact: you can't whisper "scythe" because the buzzing part of the "th" sound comes from vibrating your vocal cords in a way that you can't do when whispering. Give it a try!

For the record I'm American (well, speak with an American accent anyway) and always pronounced it with a buzzing "th".

OK then I'm with Eric and don't notice any particular difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mayneric wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

To reiterate my comment, regarding the "th" in "wealth" vs. "this" there's a buzzing in "this" that you don't do for "wealth". You can pronounce the "th" in "wealth" just by putting your tongue between your upper and lower teeth and blowing air out, whereas with "this" you have to vibrate your vocal cord as well so it's a 2-part process if you will.

Try pronouncing "thistle" and "this", paying particular attention to the "th" sound and holding it for a few seconds to feel the difference. Do you notice it now?

It's one of those things you don't realize until you really pay attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
mayneric wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

To reiterate my comment, regarding the "th" in "wealth" vs. "this" there's a buzzing in "this" that you don't do for "wealth". You can pronounce the "th" in "wealth" just by putting your tongue between your upper and lower teeth and blowing air out, whereas with "this" you have to vibrate your vocal cord as well so it's a 2-part process if you will.

Try pronouncing "thistle" and "this", paying particular attention to the "th" sound and holding it for a few seconds to feel the difference. Do you notice it now?

I also pronounce it like "wealth".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
mayneric wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Ok I notice the buzzing now. That is different between the words. I was only noticing the "actual" TH sound not the accompanying sounds which do make them different. Who would have thought I would have learned something about linguistics today on BGG. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still having trouble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSgsON3u8E

Sorry, embed isn't working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

You just click on the YouTube button and then from the YouTube link copy everything after the "=" and insert it into the BGG link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
[q="epilepticemu"]
You just click on the YouTube button and then from the YouTube link copy everything after the "=" and insert it into the BGG link...

Crazy, I did that! It tried embedding, but the only thing that displayed was the fuzzy gray screen that just read "error". Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
[q="epilepticemu"]

Crazy, I did that! It tried embedding, but the only thing that displayed was the fuzzy gray screen that just read "error". Thanks!

I think there might be a BGG bug where BGG auto-creates the YouTube link wrong, that's happened to me a couple times, when I looked at the BGG-created link manually I saw some weird things that didn't belong, that I had to delete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I feel a little better now.
I spelled out the word for my fiancee and asked her how she pronounces it, without giving her any clues, and she pronounced it with a short "I" (like "fight," "ice") and a soft "th".

So I know I'm not totally nuts cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
OK, I feel a little better now.
I spelled out the word for my fiancee and asked her how she pronounces it, without giving her any clues, and she pronounced it with a short "I" (like "fight," "ice") and a soft "th".

So I know I'm not totally nuts cool

Yeah it's probably a pretty common pronunciation.

But the buzzing "th" in "scythe" is consistent with words that end in "-the" such as "breathe" and "wreathe" that also buzz vs. "breath" and "wreath" that end in "-th" and have a soft "th" sound.

FYI the "i" in "fight" and "ice" is long, not short. "Fit" has a short "i" sound.

/pedantic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Cat water #9 - the pope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skyth
Skythee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve777 wrote:
Skyth
Skythee

I was actually hearing some of these, which is why I posted the video.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

FYI the "i" in "fight" and "ice" is long, not short. "Fit" has a short "i" sound.

Thanks cool
I'm not a linguist so I don't know the proper terminology.

So, if "fight"/"ice" is long
and "fit" is short
what is "sigh," which is neither, and sounds kind of longer and drawn out, almost two syllables? The way I pronounce "sigh" is like the letter "I", which sounds like neither "ice" nor "fit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we all pronounce kilometre properly, that is to say, to rhyme with centimetre, decimetre, nanometre, and millimetre (units of length), instead of like barometer, hygrometer, and thermometer (measuring instruments), we can all get along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Thanks cool
I'm not a linguist so I don't know the proper terminology.

So, if "fight"/"ice" is long
and "fit" is short
what is "sigh," which is neither, and sounds kind of longer and drawn out, almost two syllables? The way I pronounce "sigh" is like the letter "I", which sounds like neither "ice" nor "fit".

Long vs. short vowel sounds don't refer to the length of time you say them but the actual sound. The "i" sound in "sigh" is long like in "fight". In both words you pronounce the "i" like you're saying the letter "i" while going through the alphabet. If you don't pronounce them both long it might be a regional dialog thing.

Also, long vs. short is a grade school concept, not highbrow linguistic terminology Not trying to put you down or anything, just stating a fact. Who knows how much grade school knowledge I've forgotten over the years but this one stuck with me laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
As long as we all pronounce kilometre properly, that is to say, to rhyme with centimetre, decimetre, nanometre, and millimetre (units of length), instead of like barometer, hygrometer, and thermometer (measuring instruments), we can all get along.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everybody of something we should all know by now: English is weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.