Subject: "Fresh or Spent" ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jinmoo Lee
South Korea
Seoul, Korea
flag msg tools
Hello.

I'm Korean and English is not my native language, so please understand my poor English.

I recently bought the game and just finished playing the Firefight #1 and #2 with my friend, applying only the rules in Section 1. (Awesome game, by the way.)

Now I'm reading the rules about cards, and some of the descriptions in the cards confuse me a bit.

#1.

Rule 2.2 says

"A unit is either fresh, activated or spent.
A unit is fresh if it has not spent any APs or taken an opportunity action.
A unit is activated when a player activates it with 7APs.
A unit is spent after it has been activated and has spent all of its 7APs or if it has taken an opportunity action."

So, when a card says "A fresh or spent unit", does it exclude activated units?

For example, description of "#20 Bogged Down" card says that it can immobilize any one fresh or spent enemy vehicle. Does it mean that I cannot immobilize opponents activated vehicle?

Also, most weapon cards such as Grenades and Molotov Cocktail says that it may be used by fresh or spent squad. Does this mean that my activated squad with those weapons assigned cannot use them until they are spent?

#2.

If someone activates a unit(or group) and doesn't spend any of its APs (by stalling or passing), is this unit still a fresh unit? (A unit is fresh if it has not spent any APs or taken an opportunity action.)

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, an activated unit is still considered Fresh, so you can play the card on it.

On further reflection, I'm not 100% sure about this. I'm going to send a note to Uwe for clarification and will respond here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All units start a round as "fresh" with their non-stripe side showing.

You select a unit (or group) to activate and give it (them) a pool of 7 APs (in the basic game). That unit is now activated (and per below, still considered "fresh").

You an action with that unit (or group) and that action costs APs which are subtracted from the current pool of APs.

Your opponent takes a turn.

You then can either take another action with the activated unit(s) provided they have the APs remaining in their pool. OR you can choose to activate a new unit. The previously activated unit is then "spent" and flipped to the striped side. Your newly activated unit gets a new set of 7 APs to start taking actions with.

You will only have one activated unit (or group) at a time. The rest are either fresh (never used that round) or spent (all done that round except for CAP actions -- spending CAPs instead of APs).

2. No. Once they are activated, they are no longer fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard back from Uwe.

Any activated unit is still considered to be "Fresh", and in the case of the "Bogged Down" card, can still be targeted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jinmoo Lee
South Korea
Seoul, Korea
flag msg tools
Felkor wrote:
I've heard back from Uwe.

Any activated unit is still considered to be "Fresh", and in the case of the "Bogged Down" card, can still be targeted.

Thank you very much for the answer.

This clarifies many things to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I've added a note to our Guadalcanal rules working draft to make sure the wording gets updated in the next ruleset to be more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
James,
Good rules clarification. Bogged Down should have 'activated' added to the verbiage. Keeping Fresh and Activated separate gives us a bit more flexibility with some future rules we may implement.
Also, it does not affect Solo games, since APs are no longer tracked and units are always either Fresh or Spent.
- Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.