GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What is my gaming groups next step? We want to go deeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Donovan
msg tools
Hello fellow geeks!

Recently I have created a gaming group and we have been playing games like crazy maybe twice a week and we are having a blast. The games that we mainly play are, The Resistance, Coup, Two rooms and a boom (which is awesome) It seems like my gaming group loves social deduction games and bluffing and I love this genre too. I would like to introduce them to heavier types of the same genre or a new genre of boardgames and I don't really know where to start. I don't want to play catan. Cause we tried that one night and it just kind of flopped.

What games would be a good next step for us to go deeper into the hobby of boardgames. I am thinking cosmic encounter might be a good step but maybe that game is too deep but it is kind of social and bluffy. What do you guys think about adding cosmic encounter?

Sheriff of Notingham could also work I think, What do you think about that game?

I would love to play diplomacy with the gang but I don't think they are ready for that.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham is indeed an awesome game. It's my go-to party game and one I use when trying to tempt others into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Linn
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
If you like Resistance/Coup here are similar traitor/bluffing games to look at:

Dead of Winter
Battlestar Galactica
Shadows Over Camelot
Betrayal At House On The Hill
Werewolf
Good Cop, Bad Cop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is all about making the best of the cards you have drawn and your alien power.

The base rules are really quite simple. The complexity arises from the interactions of the alien powers, cards, and the players. It could work well after the previous games. But it may also bomb. Then just put the game away and return to it later.

We have come the other way, from BSG to The Resistance/Avalon, ONUWW and Coup, especially ONUWW. At least in the number of games played, not in the playtime!

BSG is also based on fairly simple rules (the base game does not have that many interactions), but the length might be prohibitive unless all players are committed to learning the game. (3-4 hours for your first game, or 90min for a devastating cylon win. We generally play a game with all expansions in 2-2.5 hours, but we have had 120+ games of practice.) It would help learning if one of the player had played the game before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Foutz
United States
Swansea
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can whole heartedly recommend Sheriff of Nottingham. I enjoy cosmic encounters as well, but that's a little more cutthroat or at least it was in the group I played with in college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cosmic Encounter would be a good bridge for games that are just about bluffing and social deduction, to something with a little more "meat." The rules aren't that difficult, there is some strategy to the game, but the clever use of alien powers and negotiation make the game a lot of fun.

If you want to stick with social deduction/bluffing you might look at some of the newer ones being released. Specifically, Spyfall and Codenames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Notingham - Yes, would work. It's not that more complicated, but probably just enough to give players a bit more to handle. Social/bluffing factor is great.

Cosmic Encounter - Yes. There are some rules to digest, but the game is utterly simple to play. Firstly the alien card functions as a player aid, listing all the phases of a turn. Secondly you can slowly add stuff - some start without flare cards and add them after a couple of turns. Same with aliens - they're grouped in 3 colours based on how much you must now the game to be able to counter them. Green ones (easy) are more than enough to start with.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - american style family game. Really simple, but theme really comes out of it. And it's evil. The whole idea is that the island is sinking and your dudes run and climb on boats and swim, whatever it takes, to get to safety. But a part of your turn is also controlling sharks and sea monsters on opponents's dudes.

King of Tokyo - family dice game of choice. And kinda evil. Doesn't seem obviously psychological, though it is through its pronounced risk taking. Not as directly psychological as other games though.

Kakerlakenpoker Royal - not what you're after, but another of the types of game you already play. It's cheap, it's fun (a lying game, a bit more organic than coup as it grows with the group. Only one loser)

Betral at House on the Hill is firstmost a silly romp, more of ride than anything else. Good, but not exactly overly competitive. I do need to play it again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution! - this is a substantial game and will introduce a board and resources and points very well. I have had a lot of success with this game with my new to gaming friends. Its my kinda of bluffing/deduction game. You have rounds of revealing vs individual turns so it plays as fast as the players can decide what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korneel Troch
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 To Codenames & +1 for Cosmic encounter but that does add some alliance and negotiation it's a bit more on the rules side and momemtum maybe not perfectly but be open for everything so try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Played Dark Moon last week and it's immediately intense. Definitely a step up from Resistance, but not overwhelming. I would put Battlestar Galactica and Dead of Winter a step above Dark Moon as far as amount of investment required (complexity and game length).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you do not want to go too deep. The games you mentioned that you've played are pretty simple and being that they did not like Catan I would be careful what you introduce next. You want something with heavy theme and interaction between players.

Good Cop Bad Cop is another role game like Resistance and Coup I really enjoy.

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) is the best party game I have ever played. With the right crowd it can be hilarious. Just a lot of fun.

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great game. It is a step towards more complicated games, but honestly in the scope of everything else it is still considered pretty simple. It is one of my favourites though. Amazing game.

I have heard Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Shadows over Camelot and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game are the heavier role bluffing games. You can see Shadows Over Camelot and Dead of Winter played on Tabletop on Youtube.

I cannot suggest anything else based on what you have said. I worry if they were not into Catan that you may want to stay away from the heavy heavy games (I know some people suggested Cosmic Encounter which I have heard is quite heavy, I have never played it though). Catan is just a medium complexity game, I would work my way up slowly before jumping into the deep end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cosmic Encounter if you want to go a bit deeper this would be a step above what you are currently playing. I would recommend getting Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion in addition for the rewards deck though I'm sure you'll soon find yourself wanting the other expansions as well.

+1 for Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition). It's as light as the other games you enjoy but you get to point foam guns at each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters of Whitechapel. Adds some complexity, keeps that bluff deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is exactly what you're looking for. It's a bluffing/negotiation game so will be familiar. And while it's a bit deeper, it's not a massive leap.

Kremlin is another possibility for your group. Again, it has strong bluffing and social deduction elements, leavened with a large dollop of randomness. Be warned that the rulebook makes it look way more complex than actually is. If you get it, use the rewrite you can find on here. [shameless self promotion] I've also been told that new players are finding my "Beginner's Guide to Influence Placement" really useful [/shameless self promotion]

Possibly look at the vastly Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court as well. Lots of bluffing and dealmaking involved. Again, it's a bit deeper tactically to what you know, without throwing you in at the deep end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cosmic Encounter

Also suggest you checkout Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa N
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnasche wrote:
Played Dark Moon last week and it's immediately intense. Definitely a step up from Resistance, but not overwhelming. I would put Battlestar Galactica and Dead of Winter a step above Dark Moon as far as amount of investment required (complexity and game length).

I agree here- I think Dead of Winter/ Battlestar would take a few more lighter games before the group can transition into these much longer time-commitment games.

+1 to Sheriff of Nottingham- really enjoy this game with the right group dynamic (which you seem to have!)

My group (who also loves social deduction) didn't do too well with King of Tokyo because of the player elimination and a lot of people got bored with the lengthy turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evn Tomeny
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I would let the fact that your gaming group disliked Catan stop you from introducing other games. Honestly, I find Catan to be a pretty mediocre game. There isn't a lot of depth to it. Try out some other games.

And a solid +1 to Sheriff of Nottingham!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get cosmic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Donovan
msg tools
Thanks so much everyone for your comments!

I bought sheriff of nottingham and the group loved it, Next step is getting cosmic encounter! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
You should definitely get nothing personal if you're looking at cosmic encounter. Amazing mafia themed negotioation game. You will negotiate for everything in this game. It is literally billed ad being "the opposite of a coop game" and it doesn't disappoint. Also its beautiful and the components are fantastic. Tom Vassal helped design it if that means anything to you. At any rate. Fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Sheriff is great and all, but it's not really a deeper dive past what you already enjoy. Tbh, it's likely a small step back in depth from a couple games listed in the OP.

It's fun, though. So like you mentioned above, it'll be good for your group.

Surprised One Night Ultimate Werewolf hasn't been mentioned. It's my favorite in the bluffing/deduction genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baker

Charlestown
Indiana
msg tools
mbmb
You got Sheriff, thinking about Cosmic...

Both excellent games. Your group should enjoy those choices. I would add the following games:

+1 for Citadels. If you like like Coup's hidden roles and powers, Citadels should work for your group. Also, It's <$20 in almost every online retailer.

If the end goal is Diplomacy, might I suggest Tammany Hall. A bit easier than Diplomacy. Just as cut-throat but no player elimination (a poor player could make themselves ineffectual). A one of my wife's faves and the reason why I am posting this from the couch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyh wrote:
If you like Resistance/Coup here are similar traitor/bluffing games to look at:

Dead of Winter
Battlestar Galactica
Shadows Over Camelot
Betrayal At House On The Hill
Werewolf
Good Cop, Bad Cop

This as well as Cash and Guns, Love Letter: Batman, and Mysterium when it releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Citadels as well.

It is like a more in depth Coup. It should be a fairly natural transition if your group enjoys bluffing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many awesome game recommendations in this thread.

May I add City of Horror and Chinatown. Sounds like both of these fit the bill perfectly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.