GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,534 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Halloween Character Gift Card Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Hermes
msg tools
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding the gift cards attached to the Halloween characters.
As of yet, there are only 3 people in my group of friends that play King of Tokyo on a regular and competitive basis. Soon after I bought the Halloween character set, one of my friends took really well to the pumpkin jack character because of his "gift" cards. There are two in his power up deck. One saying that the player gifted said card would have one less re-roll and the other saying that the person gifted the card will be damaged (+1) whenever jack would attack him. Now, my question is: Is there a way to destroy these gift cards? Because the way we've been playing them is that he would use the cards and no matter what we do, the card can only be discarded when the player holding it is eliminated by losing all his/her health. Then the card just goes back into his hand and he just "gifts" it to the remaining player. This seems kind of cheap, seeing as these cards seem eternal till you lose. The rules say nothing else about the cards so we thought that we would try our luck on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could always kill Pumpkin Jack. That would make the cards go away as well.

I have the expansion, but honestly haven't played with it enough to know if there is any other answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Seymour
United States
SAINT LOUIS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Jakub Rozalski Did Nothing Wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
The person who it is on can gift it to any one in the same way it was gifted to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, the main way to deal with Gift Evolutions is to give them back to their owner (or another player).

None of the Gift Evolutions are game-breaking.
Annoying? Sure.
Overpowered? Not so much.

King Kraken wrote:
...the card can only be discarded when the player holding it is eliminated by losing all his/her health. Then the card just goes back into his hand and he just "gifts" it to the remaining player

Wait, what?
Where does it say you get it back?
Once a card is gone it is GONE.
There are a couple Evolutions that can come back from gone, but they say so right on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracore wrote:
The person who it is on can gift it to any one in the same way it was gifted to them.
Yep.
Here's what the rules says:
The rules wrote:
Some Evolution cards for both Pumpkin Jack and Boogie Woogie have a new mechanic which is entertaining – they can be passed to other players when you deal damage. They stay in play like Permanent Evolution. After they have been revealed, they may be passed to another Monster when the Monster who has the Evolution deals damage to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Kraken wrote:

As of yet, there are only 3 people in my group of friends that play King of Tokyo on a regular and competitive basis.

I cannot see how you can play in a competitive basis a game based so much in luck.

King Kraken wrote:

the other saying that the person gifted the card will be damaged (+1) whenever jack would attack him.

The person who owns this gift gets damaged whenever Pumpking Jack gives damage, no matter if it's another person that he's giving damage. That is how I recall it, I'll have to check again. But I'm pretty sure that's the way we have been playing.

King Kraken wrote:

Then the card just goes back into his hand and he just "gifts" it to the remaining player. This seems kind of cheap, seeing as these cards seem eternal till you lose.

If you kill a person that has a gift evolution, this evolution is lost for ever.

King Kraken wrote:
The rules say nothing else about the cards so we thought that we would try our luck on this thread.

The rules specifically say the gift may be given to another player if damage is dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalakazo wrote:
King Kraken wrote:

As of yet, there are only 3 people in my group of friends that play King of Tokyo on a regular and competitive basis.

I cannot see how you can play in a competitive basis a game based so much in luck.

People play Yahtzee (and other things) competitively.
If anything King of Tokyo is less luck based by virtue of you being able to choose which Cards you purchase and when.

There is strategy in the game, but it needs to be flexible to account for the randomness.

Kalakazo wrote:
King Kraken wrote:

the other saying that the person gifted the card will be damaged (+1) whenever jack would attack him.

The person who currently has this gift gets damaged whenever Pumpking Jack gives damage (does not damage himself), no matter if it's another person that he's giving damage. That is how I recall it, I'll have to check again. But I'm pretty sure that's the way we have been playing.

Edited for clarification.
The "Owner" is whoever started the game with Detachable Head in their Evolution pile.
And the Owner is never hurt/penalized/etc... by their own Gift Evolutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools

We have a group of 10+ people who I would consider intense gamers. Whether its board games, sports, video games, cards etc - we are all SUPER competitive against one another.

King of Tokyo and King of New York aren't just filler games, they're the main attraction - they've somehow captured that perfect balance for us, simple to teach, enough room for strategy, just the perfect length of time to get 3 or 4 games in during a session.

People who see us play, they see that it looks like so much fun and immediately get sucked in. The trash talk, the mind games...it's all there.

It can definitely be played competitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.