Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Source: https://www.facebook.com/SwordAndSorceryBoardGame/posts/7494...

S&S GAMEPLAY - EPISODE I - DEATH IS NOT THE END!

Each Hero contains a life essence called Soul. Souls are inextricably bound to one of the three Gods ruling the Lands, and are used in the game for 3 main aspects:

1) Forming the party (optional rule).
2) Decision making during quests.
3) Take advantage of exclusive gods powers.

In addition, when a hero dies, he becomes ethereal and his soul becomes weaker but still useful to the party!

In fact, each ghost soul hero can use the unique ghost shout on the battlefield.

During each time phase, a ghost soul hero in the same area as an active gods shrine can spent soul points to return to life.

Sword & Sorcery uses Ghost Soul Form to avoid the "Player Elimination" and grant at the same time a great game experience!

See you on next Saturday for S&S GAMEPLAY - EPISODE II.

In the meanwhile, take a look to the Shae Hero cards!
Note: Beta Release Material, contents and graphics are not finalised yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
so basically players can't die ever? Is there a way to run out of soul points? I mean what i do hate about descent 2nd ed is that you don't care about death and this kills a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yes soul points can be acquired by killing enemies:
They are used for 3 purposes:

Enhance the soul rank of your hero
Resurrect your hero
Temporary enhance the power of the soul weapons

So you have to find the right balance, in addition
Consider that to resurrect you lost one game round, and the time needed
To reach the party (from the gods shrine), last thing if you end the quest in a ghost soul form, you will permanently lost one of your equipped items.

I think we have found the right balance between death malus without having the boring player elimination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Player elimination is never boring it's part of the deal.

Basically game is race against the clock in terms of goals like descent 2ed?

Can other players waste their soul points to resurrect others?

When you respawn hero do you get it with full heath or you have to throw dice?

Do you discard one item randomly or you can choose?

Don't you think that undying heroes makes heroes care less for their lives, again like in descent 2ed where death sometimes can be even better option to recover health.

Do you still progress through campaign if you loose in quest or not?

Does outcome of one quest affects other quests?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will say that player elimination is terrible but easily modified. If you want permadeath, just let the character die.

The developed answer sounds more entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
Will say that player elimination is terrible but easily modified. If you want permadeath, just let the character die.

The developed answer sounds more entertaining.

That MIGHT be a bit of an oversimplification :). If a 'permadeath' mechanic isn't in place in the game simply letting the characters die will almost certainly significantly throw off game balance.

I'm not a fan of permadeath as a gameplay mechanic myself, although I do like a character death to have significant impact. Still not sure whether or not this is the case here. In Descent 2, 'death' really wasn't a big deal at all, which is one of the things I felt weakened the game. Alternatively, I like how it was handled in the D&D Adventure Games. Essentially the healing surges represented a 'group life' pool. So characters can come back until the group life pool is depleted, then game over. That way no player is out while everyone else is still playing, but death is still something to be feared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
certainly not permadeath but death should be punishing otherwise it's descent 2ned when you don't die you just knocked out.

Anyhow i hope Simone will answer my questions, really looking forward to this campaign since GD theme isn't my plate but mechanics etc are superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I will do my best to answer

Q: Player elimination is never boring it's part of the deal.
A: In a solo game it is not a problem, in a five players game, if your character dies during the first rounds, it can be not fun watching your friends continue without you... we just want to find the best approach to avoid it without compromising the gameplay or the tension.

Q: Basically game is race against the clock in terms of goals like descent 2ed?
A: Quests have many objectives, some of them are "time-based" many other not, in any case, please consider these factors:
- If all heroes are in a ghost soul form at the same time, the quest ends immediately... This can be a common situation against the Master Enemy fight devil
- The Event deck is the time limit in any case, it represents the deadline, this not means that a quest is a rush against the clock, but usually the quest will fail if the event deck runs out of cards.

Q: Can other players waste their soul points to resurrect others?
A: Soul Points are a shared resource.

Q: When you respawn hero do you get it with full heath or you have to throw dice?
A: you will return to life is a full health state BUT losing one Soulrank, this is the flow:

When your heroes dies, you must decrease the soulrank by 1, Es: from III to II, then you need 2 Soul Points to resurrect, then in the next time phase you can spend (Soulrank_to_be_achieved Multiplied to Soulrank_to_be_achieved) so: 3x3=9 Soul Points, to return at Soulrank III.

This means having a small "damage" at lower ranks, BUT it will increase a lot at higher ranks... imagine a Soulrank VI hero dies, you need 5 Soul Points to revive and 36 Soul Points to return at soul rank VI.

Q: Do you discard one item randomly or you can choose?
A:Randomly and only between equipped items: weapons, armour, artefact ... so carrying a lot of cheap potions will not help ninja

Q: Do you still progress through campaign if you loose in quest or not?
A: most of the time, nope! In case of a failed quest, players can decide between these two options for the next play:
-All heroes keep their current soulrank, items, powers, characteristics, crowns, and soul points possessed at the end of a quest, excluding the discarded ones.
-All heroes return to the original state exactly as they started the failed quest for the first time. This means, discard all the soulrank, items, powers, characteristics, crowns, and soul points acquired during the failed quest.

Q: Does outcome of one quest affects other quests?
A: yes.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Simone thanks some really great answers you gave.

1)How many quests are we going to have in core box?

I'd be happy to join KS campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.