Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally bit the bullet after much procrastination. First attempt - Passage Through Mirkwood with the Tactics deck - a cakewalk right?

Wrong.

2 Enchanted Streams (can't draw cards), a Hummerhorns (insta-death on engagement without armour) and an Ungolian Spawn (9 hit points!) later Legolas, Thalin, and Gimli's shattered bodies were left deep in the darkness of the forest.

now...let's try that again.

I procrastinated so long because the idea of deck building puts me off. However, I get the feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful (and expensive) friendship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
Finally bit the bullet after much procrastination. First attempt - Passage Through Mirkwood with the Tactics deck - a cakewalk right?

Wrong.

2 Enchanted Streams (can't draw cards), a Hummerhorns (insta-death on engagement without armour) and an Ungolian Spawn (9 hit points!) later Legolas, Thalin, and Gimli's shattered bodies were left deep in the darkness of the forest.

now...let's try that again.

I procrastinated so long because the idea of deck building puts me off. However, I get the feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful (and expensive) friendship.
You are probably the 700th person to post a thread here after trying out Passage Through Mirkwood solo with the Tactics deck, and discovering that it's nigh impossible. You may be the first to say you still enjoyed it and can't wait to come back for more!

The good news is that the core set decks for the other spheres will have a much better chance (solo) against this quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol only 700th?

I think I got overconfident from watching "Watch It Played"'s runthrough where he seemed to win fairly easily with that.

Definitely going to play a few times with each standalone deck before starting to mix things up.

I'm still amazed at how a few cards and tokens can generate such a thematic experience - not a mini in sight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There should be a warning sticker on the core set - "Do not try these scenarios with a solo Tactics deck!"

When I heard my friends bought the game that is the first thing I messaged them.

Good luck and enjoy this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why is it that the Tactics deck is the first one people play with? Is it Legolas and Gimli? If you took away the names on these cards, just had the stats and text...I bet less than 10% would choose tactics as their first choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are forgetting that people like killing monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case it's because of Watch it Played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:

Cheers to you!!
Yup a long and beautifull and expensive friendship.

I started buying the core and 1 expansion, about 7 months ago, now I won it all.

Deck building I was a complete novice and feared. BUT.. I started with a suggested deck from Hall of Beorn website. Worked pretty well, but then with the core of a good deck, it was easy to tweak.
I play progression in that I am going in order of release and only using the cards of the packs at the time, so as I start a new scenario I add the new player cards to my pool. That way the card pool grows slowly and at a managable rate.
I find I try my deck at a scenario and if it does ok I keep going and enjoy losing.. but if it does so bady I think I wont ever win, I simply say, "what was I lacking and what didnt I need". I look at the deck and remove the cards I didnt seem to need to play that werent necessary, and then think about what I was lacking, eg extra questing, or condition-management, or high damage etc, and look through my card pool to see what to add. Then the tweaked deck has a go.

So I am not up to scratch deck building where people use clever combinations of various traits to get great combos (eg Rohan decks etc) but getting a general deck and tweaking to fit the scenario comes pretty easilly after some experience.
So dont worry about deck building, it can be done at a basic and fun level and be successful.

I am currently playing Redhorn Gate and up to that point have beaten every quest appart from Escape-From-Dol-Guldur (including beating Massing at Osgiliath the print-on-demmand scenario). So its all doable, I am no deck-builder

Welcome to possibly the best game I have ever played, and at 40 I have been playing such games for about 30 of those years.

Enjoy

PS: Core starter decks on their own are so so so so crap. Once you start duel-sphering decks (say Leadership/Lore) it gets much more manageable. One of my main decks is actually three spheres

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
In my case it's because of Watch it Played.

I'm a fellow traveller who also followed the Watch it Played lead.

It's been 6 (I think) plays and I almost beat the bloody spiders once on tactics but then I tried leadership and was annihilated.

I am reliably informed that spirit will see me through, or double handing, but I have to say, this is a game for the player with a sense of humour.

To be serious though, it's a deep and challenging game that takes some work to even really begin. I can however see many rewards in the future - I do enjoy this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I switched to the Leadership deck and after one very unlucky early loss made it through Mirkwood on my next try. Still lost a hero though so (bloody Hummerhorns).

I'll try all the single sphere decks a few times to get to know the cards then start mixing it up.

Have also already ordered Hunt for Gollum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:

I'll try all the single sphere decks a few times to get to know the cards then start mixing it up.

Yeah, I think that's the way to go. Also impresses me with the amount of value in the base set. You really have to play through the decks quite a lot before needing to get any additional sets. Apparently it becomes easier with a greater choice of cards so I'd be interested to hear how you get on after getting Hunt for Gollum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.