Vincent Desrochers
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For, me, beside all the botched tokens, is that there's 3 new solo scenarios to play with. I can't wait to try them. I think Paul did a great job to add some new concepts to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
We've very much enjoyed the expansion, and we've only played the first scenario once. I think it adds a ton of cool stuff. The idea of fighting two factions is pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play twice today.
I used Braevalar in both cases

First time played the solo Life and Death scenario, it was certainly challenging, and the bonus tokens definitely help you to level up faster.
The second time I played a Solo Full Conquest with the expansion enemies thrown in.

Braevalar is one of the more rounded characters it seems. He has strong healing abilities and so taking wounds was less consequential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be picking up this expansion so I can't talk about this from actual experience.

But, the most interesting part of this expansion, to me, is the faction enemy tokens. Finally more of the MK mythos is being pulled into this game. It adds a ton of flavor. This is also more along the lines of Lost Legion where it isn't just a character expansion. Don't get me wrong, I really like Krang, but overall that expansion felt a bit...lacking to me because it only introduced a new character. I like my expansions meatier and SoT seems to really deliver in that department.

It also felt like Mr Grogan really did give us 100% in making this expansion everything it could be. It seems fun and interesting and it, I imagine, infuses just the right amount of 'new' to make the entire experience like playing for the first time (but understanding all the rules this time around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
It also felt like Mr Grogan really did give us 100% in making this expansion everything it could be. It seems fun and interesting and it, I imagine, infuses just the right amount of 'new' to make the entire experience like playing for the first time (but understanding all the rules this time around).

Paul's efforts are certainly praiseworthy but don't forget Phil Pettifer is behind a lot of this expansion too! If you like the inclusion of more of the Mage Knight lore, he's the one to thank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Hero_guy wrote:

Paul's efforts are certainly praiseworthy but don't forget Phil Pettifer is behind a lot of this expansion too! If you like the inclusion of more of the Mage Knight lore, he's the one to thank.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I've only really noticed Paul on here dropping sneak peaks and such, so I just figured he was the main/only guy who worked on the expansion. Now I know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Hidden Valley scenario last night. I used Norwas as I need to sleeve my Brevalar cards still. It was a lot of fun! I really liked the challenge of the new enemies, the ambush ability was fun, and how you reveal map tiles was an interesting new twist. I lost so it was overall pretty challenging, too! Though as with anything now that I have played it, I will have a better idea of how to attack it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I've only really noticed Paul on here dropping sneak peaks and such, so I just figured he was the main/only guy who worked on the expansion. Now I know better.

I've said in a number of places, that Phil is the main designer behind the expansion and responsible for about 75% of the content. I added some things myself and coordinated the development team, liaised with Vlaada and WizKids, etc.

And none of it would have been possible without the efforts of the development group who gave a lot of their time to test things and have months of discussion about whether something should be 2 or 3, etc.

So - as for who was the 'main guy', it was about 50/50 workwise I think, but Phil doing most of the actual 'design'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.