GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Convenience Store OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else think the convenience store is overpowered? I've won several games never rolling more than one die by simply buying 3 convenience stores and flipping the shopping mall.

I nerfed it to 2 coins and it forces players away from this early strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Does anyone else think the convenience store is overpowered? I've won several games never rolling more than one die by simply buying 3 convenience stores and flipping the shopping mall.

I nerfed it to 2 coins and it forces players away from this early strategy.

There are many threads arguing that the Convenience Store is overpowered.

There are also many other buildings with threads arguing that they are overpowered.

Many of the game's buildings are overpowered when used against players who don't fully appreciate their benefits. The Convenience Store may be the easiest one to master.

Nerfing it may slow down your group's discovery of how to counter the Convenience Store strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you're playing with younger kids (as suggested in your previous post), things may be different.

I try not to overuse the Convenience Store against little kids. They know that they need to keep one player from getting too many, but they find it hard to resist the lure of the Cheese Factory. (They don't always like the red buildings either.)

Referring to my earlier comment: younger kids may be able to learn how to counter the Convenience Store, but they may tend to enjoy the game more when ignoring what you do and following their own preferred paths - but they also like winning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I play with my young children. They don't like playing with the red buildings and we remove them. I also tried limiting the convenience store to one per person and that worked even better. It forces them to try new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The convenience store is certainly the largest payout card when a player is allowed to accumulate them. The compounding gains with shopping mall make it even more crazy.

For this reason, we have begun playing with the 10 card variant which somewhat forces people to spread out their buying choices more and prevents games from devolving in to the "one trick pony" race for convenience stores and shopping mall flip.

Bakery and Cafe are also great off-purchases when rushing shopping mall.

Overpowered? I don't think so.
Abusable in a game with new players who don't see their value upfront? Absolutely!

If you want people to enjoy the game that you are showing it to, don't take the Convenience Store/Shopping mall approach in your first several games. It's bound to leave a bad taste in their mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.