GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,408 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Inexpensive, Competitive List - or - What To Buy Next rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evn Tomeny
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I recently bought the Core Set and love the game. I have a slight preference for Rebel, but can be convinced to play anything. I'd like to build a couple of decently competitive lists without breaking the bank. Perhaps a Big Ship list and a Swarm list (am I getting the terminology correct?)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
Swarm lists are the closest this games comes to breaking the bank, since a swarm is SEVERAL small ships.

Tho multiple big ships in a list can be expensive as well. So far they are increasingly proving that every ship can be pretty competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Millennium Falcon is a great single ship that has many competitive variations. Plus, it's the Falcon! Imperial Aces or Rebel Aces are good investments. And B-Wings are fun. Oh,and if you haven't yet, buy a second core set.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The falcon is a great ship no doubt, but the issue with it is the cards you will need for it will be expensive. Unless of course you don't care to proxy then yeah the falcon is fine. The most proven swarm rebel build for the cheapest would be 4 Bs and a Z. No upgrade cards so nothing for you to forget. You get to fly 5 ships learning the game. This list made top 16 at gencon this year. To learn the game I think that's a great list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Kentz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are looking to make an inexpensive competitive tournament squad build, the core set gets you half way there! The X-Wing can be the foundation of many Rebel lists. Add the Millennium Falcon and you have a strong build. I would also suggest perhaps a Y-Wing or two and the X-Wing expansion (for a 2nd X-Wing, the pilots and upgrades not found in the core set).

An old gaming buddy of mine got me into this addiction back in May of this year. I though I could start slow with a couple of ships and maybe add 1 or 2 ships a month. Nope! I must have over $600 retail into it by now and I'm far from being done. It is quite fun and I'm lucky enough to have a handful of gaming stores that host tournaments in my area.

You can get caught up in trying to have all the cool combos (pilots/upgrades), but some of the strongest builds are basic ships with lots of hull/shields and either more attack dice or defense.

Have fun!

Jerome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YT-2400. That ship alone accounted for more than 1/4 of the points spent on all the squads in the top 16 at Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Lundy
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
I would go with either a Millennium Falcon or a YT-2400, and a couple smaller ships. Maybe an E-wing and/or a couple of B-Wings. that's $40-50 if you shop around.

If you want to stay simple, and not deal with pairing up ships with upgrades, then I'd second the list of 4 B-wings and one Z-95, or 2 B-wings with 2 X-Wings (that's including the one you already have). The X/B list was one of the best a while back, and you can still win with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
I'd also say BBBBZ is a good idea, although you might not want to buy 4 B-Wings as expansions, since Rebel Aces is really good and should be part of a Rebel collection. Ideal would be 2 Rebel Aces packs and 2 expansion B-Wings for a total of 4 B-Wings with 4 E2 cards. Add the Z-95 and you already are on a pretty high price.

The other route would be the Falcon, which has amazing upgrades with Veteran Instincts and Engine Upgrade. The problem is that running thw Falcon out of the box is strictly inferior to running it with C3-PO. Who comes in the Tantive 4 expansion. Which is way too expensive for budget building. Also learning the game with a primary weapon turret can be limiting to your learning experience.

On the Scum side of things you can get away with 2 IG-2000s and a Star Viper for this build: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=... It is not an ideal Brobots, but I think it can be pretty strong and requires just 3 purchases on top of your core set.

Building the Empire in an inexpensive way is hard. You either go for a swarm, which needs a lot of ships and therefor won't be ideal, or you need a lot of upgrades from a lot of different, more often than not non Empire, places. For example the Decimator comes with a lot of good things to put on it, but to be really strong it needs an Engine Upgrade (Falcon), Vader (Lambda shuttle, maybe not unreasonable) or Experimental Interface + Expose (YT-2400 + Slave One).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Swarms are actually much cheaper than people realize. Because they focus on multiple ships instead of upgrades. Upgrades get expensive because you end up buying a ship just for one card that might be 3 points of your list. People have mentioned C3P0, which comes with the $90 Tantive, but people also fill the Falcon lists with Crew from the YT-2400 and Rebel Aces.

A Wave 1 list of seven TIEs just made the top 16 at Gencon. Buying 5 TIE expansions (or another core and 3 TIE expansions) should cost around $60. I have flown 3 TIEs and 3 Interceptors with a lot of success. 1 TIE expansion pack and 3 Interceptor packs (the Imperial aces doesn't come with Alpha pilots, which is what I use) should only cost you about $45 more.

If you want to stick with rebels, then going with a three ship list is probably the cheapest way to stay competitive since the two ship lists rely so heavily on upgrade cards that come with other sets. The National winning list was 2 naked B-Wings and Dash (YT-2400). All but 2 upgrades that were on Dash came with the YT2400 expansion. The 2 that didn't (R2D2-Crew and APL) cost 6 points. R2D2 comes with the $90 Tantive ($60 online), but APL comes with the Lambda, which isn't too expensive, and you can swap R2D2 out for Chewie, which comes with the Falcon or you can spend those 4 points on Fire Control Systems for the 2 B-Wings. With online prices you could build the National Championship list for 24 + 22 + 22 + 60 (2B's + YT2400 + Lambda + Tantive) $128. While that sounds like a lot, name me one other minatures game where the Championship army cost that little. And with a few substitutions so you don't have to buy the $60 tantive or the $22 Lambda for just one card each, you can easily fly a very competitive version of this list for under $50.

4 Rebel lists I think are still competitive, especially if you are a new player and will be playing against other relatively new players. 2 B-wings and 2 X-Wings will only cost you about $36 since you already have 1 X-Wing.

When it comes to upgrades, there are a few cards you are going to want to get in order to make competitive lists these days. The first is Push the Limit, which comes with the A-Wing and the Imperial Aces pack. Push the Limit (PTL) is represented in at least half of every top 8 list and often multiple copies. The problem is nobody flies any ships from the A-Wing expansion or Imperial Aces (Except for maybe Carnor Jax). The A-Wing everyone uses is Jake (Rebel aces) and the Interceptor everyone uses is Soontir (Interceptor expansion). Ironically, I doubt you will EVER see a good player fly either of these ships without PTL.

Fire control systems is also very important and comes with the B-Wing expansion. Advanced sensors comes with the E-wing and Lambda expansion. There are a few others, but usually FFG does a good job of putting the best upgrades for a ship in that ship's expansion (PTL not included).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YT-2400 and two core sets might be the cheapest way to get a solid tournament list, along with enough dice. Add in a Phantom and you can get a tournament list for each faction. You'll probably still need a few upgrade cards for the YT (PtL, Chewie) and the Phantom (VI, Recon Spec). So two core sets, a YT-2400, a YT-1400, and a Phantom, $104 (Free shipping!), gets you two tournament sqauds. Might need a few more dice if you are sending two people to a tournament with that, though. An extra $20 gets Imperial Aces, with some good upgrade cards for your other ships, and adds some variation to possible Imperial tournament squads (but nothing in the upper tier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.