Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Manila» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about pirate, landing on 13 and pilot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ting Yue
China
Pudong district
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is a little confusing scenario:

There are currently two pirates waiting...

1.After SECOND roll, a punt lands exactly on 13.
Question: If there is NO pirate, will this ship be treated as "successfully arrive at Mania" and go to the port? Or it must reach BIGGER than 13 to go to port?

2.Pirate captain boards this punt, but the second pirate decides to wait.
Question: Is it correct that the punt still lands on 13 without going to port, even if the pirate boards?

3.Before the third roll, the large pilot moves this punt backwards by 2 spaces, leave it at 11.
Question: Is it correct that the pilot can move the punt which is already at 13?

4.After the third roll, this ship unfortunately lands on 13 AGAIN, so it will be plundered.
Question1: Will the second pirate now also kick out the first pirate who is already in the punt? If not, will they share the profit?
Question2: If there is no pirate and a ship lands exactly on 13 after third roll, will it go to port (successful) or repair (fail)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted Yue wrote:
It is a little confusing scenario:

There are currently two pirates waiting...

1.After SECOND roll, a punt lands exactly on 13.
Question: If there is NO pirate, will this ship be treated as "successfully arrive at Mania" and go to the port? Or it must reach BIGGER than 13 to go to port?

2.Pirate captain boards this punt, but the second pirate decides to wait.
Question: Is it correct that the punt still lands on 13 without going to port, even if the pirate boards?

3.Before the third roll, the large pilot moves this punt backwards by 2 spaces, leave it at 11.
Question: Is it correct that the pilot can move the punt which is already at 13?

4.After the third roll, this ship unfortunately lands on 13 AGAIN, so it will be plundered.
Question1: Will the second pirate now also kick out the first pirate who is already in the punt? If not, will they share the profit?
Question2: If there is no pirate and a ship lands exactly on 13 after third roll, will it go to port (successful) or repair (fail)?


1. It must go past 13 to go to port. The rules state that a punt must go past 13 to make it in. The exception to that is when it lands exactly on 13 on the third roll and there is a pirate - the pirate may then decide to bring it into port or scuttle it (sending it to shipyard).

2. Yes, even if a pirate boards after the second roll, it still needs to make it past 13 to make it into port.

3. Yes, a pilot may move a punt even if it is at space 13 (but not if it already passed 13, of course).

4. Question 1: I would assume yes, the second pirate will kick off the first pirate and everyone else. The first pirate is now a passenger just like anyone else.

Question 2: A note here: on an early play of the game, I made a note to myself that a punt that makes it to 13 after the third roll is definitely going somewhere, either to port (if no pirate or if yes pirate but pirate sends it there) or to shipyard (if pirate scuttles it). But later, I looked over the rules carefully to see why I thought that a punt that made it to 13 after the third roll would go into port even if there was no pirate, and I couldn't find anything that said so. So now I would say: a punt always has to make it past 13 to get into port. Without a pirate there, if it just makes it to 13, it broke down and is going to the shipyard. With a pirate there, the pirate could give it the last push (like a pilot) and get it into port, if the pirate wants. So, to answer your question: fail, goes to shipyard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gwintner wrote:
4. .........

Question 2:
Reply part A:
A note here: on an early play of the game, I made a note to myself that a punt that makes it to 13 after the third roll is definitely going somewhere, either to port (if no pirate or if yes pirate but pirate sends it there) or to shipyard (if pirate scuttles it).
Reply part B:
But later, I looked over the rules carefully to see why I thought that a punt that made it to 13 after the third roll would go into port even if there was no pirate, and I couldn't find anything that said so. So now I would say: a punt always has to make it past 13 to get into port. Without a pirate there, if it just makes it to 13, it broke down and is going to the shipyard. With a pirate there, the pirate could give it the last push (like a pilot) and get it into port, if the pirate wants. So, to answer your question: fail, goes to shipyard.

Regarding question 4.2:

Part A of gwintner's reply is correct!
The rules state: "When a punt stands on space 13 after the third movement round and there are no pirates on the pirate boat, it is placed on the next vacant port space."

Part B of this reply is incorrect.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NicoR wrote:
gwintner wrote:
4. .........

Question 2:
Reply part A:
A note here: on an early play of the game, I made a note to myself that a punt that makes it to 13 after the third roll is definitely going somewhere, either to port (if no pirate or if yes pirate but pirate sends it there) or to shipyard (if pirate scuttles it).
Reply part B:
But later, I looked over the rules carefully to see why I thought that a punt that made it to 13 after the third roll would go into port even if there was no pirate, and I couldn't find anything that said so. So now I would say: a punt always has to make it past 13 to get into port. Without a pirate there, if it just makes it to 13, it broke down and is going to the shipyard. With a pirate there, the pirate could give it the last push (like a pilot) and get it into port, if the pirate wants. So, to answer your question: fail, goes to shipyard.

Regarding question 4.2:

Part A of gwintner's reply is correct!
The rules state: "When a punt stands on space 13 after the third movement round and there are no pirates on the pirate boat, it is placed on the next vacant port space."

Part B of this reply is incorrect.


Interesting! Would you mind saying where in the rules that was, like what section? As I said, I couldn't find it again.

That produces an interesting result, since a boat that reaches space 13 after the second movement doesn't go into port, even without pirates. Players will have to remember to distinguish between round 2 and 3 with respect to space 13 ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gwintner wrote:
Interesting! Would you mind saying where in the rules that was, like what section? As I said, I couldn't find it again.

It is at page 6 of the Rio Grande Games rules.
The section "Here come the pirates", part b) "Plunder" ends with a blue rectangle containing this text "When a punt stands on space 13 after the third movement round and there are no pirates on the pirate boat, it is placed on the next vacant port space."
The Zoch-version rules contain the same phrase.


gwintner wrote:
That produces an interesting result, since a boat that reaches space 13 after the second movement doesn't go into port, even without pirates. Players will have to remember to distinguish between round 2 and 3 with respect to space 13 ...

Correct
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it! Man, I hate how these rules are laid out. Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.