TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
IA is $53.74 at the Amazon Warehouse.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1616619902/ref=dp_olp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coel Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitant too go for this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped buying from AWH.

The boxes arrive really damaged. The discounts are not worth it most of the time. They consider the game box as a toaster box, not as a part of the product. So the product is not considered as damaged if only the box is damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty much finished buying games from Amazon proper for how much damage the boxes take, because refunding is enough of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
I'm pretty much finished buying games from Amazon proper for how much damage the boxes take, because refunding is enough of a hassle.

Just to provide a contrasting experience: I've ordered a number of games from Amazon, and only once did I get a damaged game box... and that was from Amazon.de.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually ordered so much general 'stuff' from amazon that I buy little except food elsewhere. I have almost never had an item damaged in transit or due to poor packing. The exception was some pans which were shipped nested and scratched each other.

That said I have only ordered a few games (mostly from amazon.de) and they have always arrived as new. Still, I generally would rather support MM, CSI, Time Well Spent or some other online game pusher They offer better information, reviews etc. and are invested in the hobby.

Warehouse deals are almost always damaged/returns - so buyer beware. I have been happy with most all of my warehouse buys, but I shoot for 'Very good or Like New' ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Just to provide a contrasting experience: I've ordered a number of games from Amazon, and only once did I get a damaged game box... and that was from Amazon.de.

The problem with warehouse deals is that the boxes are discounted because they are damaged... As I have an increasing experience too with new games damaged, I let you imagine the shape of the actually damaged ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
landcsf wrote:
nbread wrote:
tumorous wrote:

The problem with warehouse deals is that the boxes are discounted because they are damaged... As I have an increasing experience too with new games damaged, I let you imagine the shape of the actually damaged ones

I've ordered from Amazon Warehouse and have received pristine games. This has happened at least twice.

I think it's the luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
landcsf wrote:
I stopped buying from AWH.

The boxes arrive really damaged. The discounts are not worth it most of the time. They consider the game box as a toaster box, not as a part of the product. So the product is not considered as damaged if only the box is damaged.

I ordered Caverna from Amazon Warehouse, and the description said there was a little damage. When I received it, the box was terrible and was falling apart. I called back to see if they were willing to give me a bigger discount on it instead of me sending it back for a full refund. Instead, they gave me a full refund and told me to keep the game.

I'm not saying everyone should exploit this, but they have great customer service and tend to be pretty reasonable.

I've used Warehouse on two other occations (Quelf and Takenoko), and the boxes arrived dented at the bottom, but the games were otherwise perfectly fine and were great deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the opposite experience as some others have noted, with AWH. I grabbed up Battle Cry a few months ago so I could have a second copy from the warehouse for $26 and it was in perfect condition, in shrink and all. I think it can be a bit of a roll of the dice but it can work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only ordered from the Amazon Warehouse once, and never will again. I ordered the Miskatonic Horror expansion for Arkham Horror, and the box looked great, but all that was inside was a single deck of cards. Nothing else. I'd advise people to be very wary of ordering from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the description. It will either say box "may be damaged" or "will be damaged". "May be damaged" is much less of a risk whereas the other can be a real crap shoot. Also, you can watch a particular item and if it's been there for a while the price will start to decrease daily. Sometimes items that are not necessarily popular can get very inexpensive. A while ago I was watching some of the crayon rail titles get down in the $12 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moezilla wrote:
Imperial Assault at Amazon Warehouse

suggestion: read
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/656400/whats-a-hot-deal
for suggestions on what to include in a hot deals subject title

imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably gotten a dozen games from warehouse deals. Only one had any noticeable damage, but it was pretty bad. 5 min on the horn with a rep and I had a brand new copy coming for the price I paid for the damaged one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would actually be a bit of an interesting case for me. I already have the base game, but if I didn't...

With most games I am really concerned about the condition of the box for both resale and personal reasons. With IA, my box is taking up storage space right now, as everything has been transferred to alternate storage (this is a game that quickly outgrows the base set). The resale issue may still hold true, but if you need a deal on the game, perhaps this isn't the worst option as long as you go for it "eyes open."

If that helps someone on the fence, great! If not, carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been ordering from AWD for years and years. I've had fairly good luck with all of the video games and even a console that I ordered from them, and that luck translated over to board games. I don't buy many now from AWD because I don't see much that I want, but the things I have bought have been in great shape, some still in the shrink, some had just had the shrink wrap removed but everything inside was bagged or unpunched. People should of course understand the risk that you could get something that is missing half the contents or has been smashed and damaged, but read the descriptions and contact Amazon when it shows up looking worse than you expected and you'll be golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James G
United States
California
flag msg tools
During the Prime Sale I ordered 4 games from AWD.

One was canceled by them because they couldn't find the game when it was time to ship.

One came in mint condition, no shrink but everything else was bagged, no tokens punched.

One came was a crushed box, super, super bad. But everything inside was mint, never played, tokens never punched, I ended getting it for half price and decided to just keep the game.

One came with everything except the box. All pieces were still sealed in plastic, never opened or played (ended up sending this back because I need the box).

The good thing is you can always send them back if you don't like anything.

I'm not sure if I would want order again unless it's a crazy good deal since they charge tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this offer is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coel Williams
United States
Wichita Falls
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessecuster3 wrote:
I believe this offer is dead.

It was dead last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with deals from AW. If you don't like the chance of a damaged item, don't buy from AW, don't read AW threads, and don't tell the rest of us what we can and cannot save money on. I'm fine with a damage box. I bring games to public events, boxes get damaged in transport, and I play with the games, not the box.

Sadly, I do not have a cat to tell me the importance of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last few games (at least 3 as far as I remember) I bought had damaged components too.

And yes, amazon customer service is awesome so I always got some additional discount or even a game free once to compensate.
But I imagine that if I continue to contact support for 95% of my AW purchase and 50% if my amazon game purchase, they will become suspicious at some point (when they would just need to describe / protect the stuff better).

You are totally in your right by accepting that a box is damaged. But in some cases damaged means totally crushed with potential damaged to components. Everyone is free to take a 10% discount if they think it's worth the risk, but they just need to be aware of it.

Ps: another example of surprises: for a "very good" expansion of catan with "box may be damaged", the box was fine but the content was... interesting. It seems that the game was made from different pieces of games. One color was missing, the cards were used, and the number tokens were all there, but made using the main game tokens and not the expansion ones (they are the same, but the letters on them to organize them on the board are different).
That's was a full patchwork. It works, but it's pretty weird. The box was fine though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.