GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Healer Class - Martyr rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rather unconventional hero who has been on my mind for awhile. Rather than fueling his skills with fatigue, the Martyr pays with health. He is unwavering in his commitment to victory, but understands that victory requires sacrifice. As a result, his powerful damage and fatigue healing skills come at great cost to himself. I expect this class to need some adjustment, I feel it's a bit rough at this point.

Archetype: Healer
Class: Martyr

Gear:

Short staff
One-hand
Staff
Dice: blue, yellow
SURGE: +1 DAMAGE
SURGE: Recover 1 DAMAGE

0 XP Skills:

Blood for Blood –
Use this card when an adjacent hero suffers DAMAGE. Suffer 1 DAMAGE to reduce the amount of DAMAGE suffered by 1. Limit once per turn.

After performing a stand up action, you may perform one additional action before your turn ends.

1 XP Skills:

Flesh Shield–
Exhaust this card when an adjacent hero is attacked, before dice are rolled and suffer up to 3 damage to add an equal number of SHIELD to his defense results. If the attack is a miss, suffer no damage.

Bloodletting –
Exhaust this card during your turn to become Bleeding and discard a condition card from yourself or an adjacent hero.

Persevere –
Each of your attacks gains SURGE: Recover 1 DAMAGE.
When you stand up or are revived by another hero you recover 2 additional DAMAGE.

2 XP Skills:

Channel the Pain –
Exhaust this card before you roll dice for an attribute test. You may suffer up to 3 DAMAGE to subtract an equal number of SHIELD from the test results.

Tranquil Spirit –
When you perform a rest action you may immediately roll 1 red power die and recover DAMAGE equal to the DAMAGE rolled.

Entrust–
ACTION: Exhaust this card during your turn to suffer 2 DAMAGE and choose a hero within 2 spaces. That hero may immediately perform 1 action as if it was his turn. After the action, your turn resumes.

3 XP Skills:

Symbol of Hope –
Apply +4 to your Health.
Exhaust this card during your turn. Heroes adjacent to you may collectively recover 1 FATIGUE for every 2 DAMAGE tokens on your hero sheet (rounded down.)

Far Better Rest-

While you are knocked out, each hero within 2 spaces of your hero token adds a gray die to his defense pool. (even while this card is exhausted.)

Exhaust this card when another hero within 2 spaces of you would be defeated to suffer DAMAGE equal to your remaining Health. That hero immediately recovers an equal amount of DAMAGE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this concept too! It really drives me the image of a frenzied zealot; and it makes the new version of Ispher really shine.

Most of his skills are nearly 0-sum, especially Blood for Blood. Of course it’s far more complex than this, but I think he needs some buff.

Just a little brainstorming:

Essentially it becomes a damage magnet, redirecting most of the party wounds on himself. He logically is prone to be defeated more often than his companions (pun intended). I’d like to see a compensation to that, especially from his basic skill.
A) I first thought of something on the line: “Every time the overlord draws an Overlord card you recover 1 [heart].”, but this would let you stand back right off the bat, and with a single “hit point” this is more deleterious than benefic.
B) Then I thought about: “Every time the overlord draws an Overlord card you recover 1 [fatigue].”, but he has no fatigue-spending abilities. You could of course use that for mobility, however, and you’d be incentivated to spend your fatigue because you need to be close to your allies.
C) Then I came with: “When you stand up your turn doesn’t end immediately”, which is - in my opinion - the greater drawback of being knocked out.
D) Or the Tranquil Spirit effect itself.
I’d like to see one of these options (probably B, C, D or another compensation mechanic of your choice) engraved into Blood for Blood.

I’d also like to see Bloodletting being able to affect adjacent allies (“Give your pain to me.”).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I intended blood for blood to be a weaker healing ability, but it can activate more frequently (once per turn rather than once per round.) I considered making it suffer 1 to prevent 2, but that seemed too much early on. I have buffed it, and blood-letting. He was a little too self-centered.

I would like to flesh out the idea of giving him KO benefits, as that is something that I think would be really unique. Believe it or not, this healer was partially inspired by orkell the skirmisher who with certain builds is basically trying to get the OL to KO him occasionally.

Zealot may actually be a better name for the class! I thought about calling him a cultist at first, but that was too decidedly evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've seen a bit of Orkell the Swift and bit of the Skirmisher class as the seed of your concept. But the Martyr/Zealot definitely has his own unique flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
This is a rather unconventional hero who has been on my mind for awhile. Rather than fueling his skills with fatigue, the Martyr pays with health. He is unwavering in his commitment to victory, but understands that victory requires sacrifice. As a result, his powerful damage and fatigue healing skills come at great cost to himself. I expect this class to need some adjustment, I feel it's a bit rough at this point.

Archetype: Healer
Class: Martyr

Gear:

Short staff
One-hand
Staff
Dice: blue, yellow
SURGE: +1 DAMAGE
SURGE: Recover 1 DAMAGE

0 XP Skills:

Blood for Blood –
Use this card when an adjacent hero suffers DAMAGE. Suffer 1 DAMAGE to reduce the amount of DAMAGE suffered by 1. Limit once per turn.

After performing a stand up action, you may perform one additional action before your turn ends.

1 XP Skills:

Flesh Shield–
Exhaust this card when an adjacent hero is attacked, before dice are rolled and suffer up to 3 damage to add an equal number of SHIELD to his defense results. If the attack is a miss, suffer no damage.

Bloodletting –
Exhaust this card during your turn to become Bleeding and discard a condition card from yourself or an adjacent hero.

Persevere –
Each of your attacks gains SURGE: Recover 1 DAMAGE.
When you stand up or are revived by another hero you recover 2 additional DAMAGE.

2 XP Skills:

Channel the Pain –
Exhaust this card before you roll dice for an attribute test. You may suffer up to 3 DAMAGE to subtract an equal number of SHIELD from the test results.

Tranquil Spirit –
When you perform a rest action you may immediately roll 1 red power die and recover DAMAGE equal to the DAMAGE rolled.

Entrust–
ACTION: Exhaust this card during your turn to suffer 2 DAMAGE and choose a hero within 2 spaces. That hero may immediately perform 1 action as if it was his turn. After the action, your turn resumes.

3 XP Skills:

Symbol of Hope –
Apply +4 to your Health.
Exhaust this card during your turn. Heroes adjacent to you may collectively recover 1 FATIGUE for every 2 DAMAGE tokens on your hero sheet (rounded down.)

Far Better Rest-

While you are knocked out, each hero within 2 spaces of your hero token adds a gray die to his defense pool. (even while this card is exhausted.)

Exhaust this card when another hero within 2 spaces of you would be defeated to suffer DAMAGE equal to your remaining Health. That hero immediately recovers an equal amount of DAMAGE.

Excellent work Paul! (so when do you start working for FFG?...lol)

"+1"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.