John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, my game (2nd edition) arrives any day now and I have two questions:

- if you could only have two (2) expansions, which two would you want? (without spending hundreds of $$)(smile)
- and, with the 3rd edition suppose to be avail. third quarter of 2015 (from FFG), and apparently it will not be compatible with existing expansions, would you bother getting any? (assuming that I will also get the 3rd ed when avail)

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the 2nd edition BG is enough for a couple of plays before you need expansions. The ones yuo want, are the hard to get expensive ones (Weapons of Legend etc).

I think I'd try to get to third edition with 2nd edition basegame only. If you really like the second edition over the third, maybe it's interesting to pick up a couple of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
For me, the 2nd edition BG is enough for a couple of plays before you need expansions. The ones yuo want, are the hard to get expensive ones (Weapons of Legend etc).

I think I'd try to get to third edition with 2nd edition basegame only. If you really like the second edition over the third, maybe it's interesting to pick up a couple of expansions.
thanks, makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding cards to the Challenge and Market decks was the most important factor for me, apart from getting Sands of Al-Kalim, which I actually bought before getting hold of the base game box (it was en route).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Adding cards to the Challenge and Market decks was the most important factor for me, apart from getting Sands of Al-Kalim, which I actually bought before getting hold of the base game box (it was en route).
which avail expansions, if you had to pick two, would add the best cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably go with Shadows of Margath (Challenge) and Champions of Kellos (Market), alternate for latter Walkers of the Wild.

Weapons of Legend does add some serious badass weapons to the game, but CoK and WotW both provide more options for those early stages by having cheap allies and items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John_VW wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
which avail expansions, if you had to pick two, would add the best cards?

First, buy what is affordable. The small decks in particular aren't worth going crazy over (although they do add some nice variation to the game).

I think the big box expansions are better than the small ones - and often provide much better value, although I'm not sure how prices have been fluctuating lately. Top 3: Sands of Al-Kalim, Frozen Wastes, Mists of Zanaga.

If you do go small box, there are lots of good ones. My favorites are probably:

Challenge Decks
* Beasts and Bandits
* Drakes and Dragonspawn
* Shadows of Margath <-- fav
* Traps and Terrors <-- fav

Items & Allies
* Rituals and Runes <-- fav
* Walkers of the Wild <-- fav
* Champions of Kellos

Adventures
* Scepter of Kyros
* The Cataclysm
* Seven Scions

I'd consider any of those worth owning, with a few personal favorites pointed out about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the suggestions, i'm checking them out...of course then I have to decide if I should get any of them if they can't be used with the 3rd edition...

wonder if the 3rd edition will have it's own expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
thanks for all the suggestions, i'm checking them out...of course then I have to decide if I should get any of them if they can't be used with the 3rd edition...

wonder if the 3rd edition will have it's own expansions?

Knowing FFG, there will be many many expansions.

Also, it's shaping up that 2nd and 3rd editions are going to be very different games, so I wouldn't compare the two. If you like 2nd ed, and want to play more of it, get some expansions. Ditto with 3rd ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me,

Sands of Al-Kalim

and

An item pack.

Sands is amazing. The theme is irrelevant to this opinion, I'm not a Tales of Arabian Nights fanatic or anything, but the emphasis shifted to questing over straight combat (like in Eldritch vs Arkham, now that I think about it), and they added in some environmental, travel based hazards which were nice (mechanics that loosely encouraged the player to stock up on waterskins before trekking into the desert).

I tuned out after Sands, so the ice world expansion and the jungle (?) world expansions might have continued this trend.

Sands also had cool features like magic cities that would appear and disappear on the map, sand storms, and other cool elements. I really liked it, and is the only way I'd ever be willing to play 2e again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite small one is Rituals and Runes. I love the rituals...

Beware of Traps and Terrors. That one has harsh challenges and often without rewards, but if you like a challenge....

Of the big boxes I'm probably in the Sands camp, but enjoy the winter theme in Frozen Wastes also.

Lots of different opinions I see... Good luck with that..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to ask which is best. Its already done, look at the poll here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/490989/which-expansion-best...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GilgaTex wrote:
Edit: seems me and the last guy have differing views

Dirty secret: I like it all, and my answer might change depending on the day. Our opinions probably aren't that far apart though.

Two small notes:
* I liked the idea of Cult of the Rune a lot, but was less impressed with the execution and really only played it a couple times. Maybe I need to go try again.
* Mists of Zanaga can get weird... yes, maybe even game breaking. But as Carey said, that's one of the things I like about it. Certainly my most played big box expansion, even though I don't think it's the best one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

yes, but when I go there all there is is the poll...no results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

yes, but when I go there all there is is the poll...no results?

Click the button at the bottom that says "Results"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Bristol
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

What I did was sum the values of the first 2 columns for each item and grade them by score from highest to lowest. This puts i.e. Sands of Al-Kalim as the most desirable expansion with a score of 91.

YMMV. Obviously, people from the U.K. should totally disregard the above and do exactly the opposite arrrh (or, indeed, not bother with 2e at all, there's nothing to see here, this isn't the game you're looking for, move along...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
merrioa wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

What I did was sum the values of the first 2 columns for each item and grade them by score from highest to lowest. This puts i.e. Sands of Al-Kalim as the most desirable expansion with a score of 91.

YMMV. Obviously, people from the U.K. should totally disregard the above and do exactly the opposite arrrh (or, indeed, not bother with 2e at all, there's nothing to see here, this isn't the game you're looking for, move along...).

You know what... thinking it over... 3rd Edition really will be the greatest adventure game ever made. Everyone with 2nd Edition really should just sell it off now while they can. Absolutely no reason to keep it around. Don't even wait for 3rd to come out! Start selling those collections! Everything must go! Especially Sands of Al-Kalim and Island of Dread, sell those for very cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Bristol
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
merrioa wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

You know what... thinking it over... 3rd Edition really will be the greatest adventure game ever made. Everyone with 2nd Edition really should just sell it off now while they can. Absolutely no reason to keep it around. Don't even wait for 3rd to come out! Start selling those collections! Everything must go! Especially Sands of Al-Kalim and Island of Dread, sell those for very cheap!

thumbsup That's the spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one or two of the small Challenge decks are a must buy. That'll be enough to ensure you don't go through the low-level decks in a single game. I'd honestly leave it at that to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I recommend them all. Get any you can find at an affordable price, which should be all of them since 3rd edition got announced and everyone is dumping their copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Mr Skeletor.
Buy them when you find them at a good price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I recommend them all. Get any you can find at an affordable price, which should be all of them since 3rd edition got announced and everyone is dumping their copies.

Not everybody. That coin-flipping mechanic is quite controversial. I for one will be sticking with 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
I think one or two of the small Challenge decks are a must buy. That'll be enough to ensure you don't go through the low-level decks in a single game. I'd honestly leave it at that to begin with.
graham...being new to the game (mine won't arrive until tomorrow or sat), what exactly do you mean by "small Challenge decks"?

(could you supply 1-2 examples? thanks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound: Beasts and Bandits
Runebound: Drakes and Dragonspawn
Runebound: Shadows of Margath (Second Edition)
Runebound: The Dark Forest
Runebound: The Terrors of the Tomb
Runebound: Traps and Terrors

Those are the six Challenge Deck expansions, each adding 30 Challenge cards to the decks. Base game comes with 84 of those cards, out of which 35 are Green and 25 Yellow, so you tended to see the same ones game in, game out, possibly having to reshuffle a deck at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Runebound: Beasts and Bandits
Runebound: Drakes and Dragonspawn
Runebound: Shadows of Margath (Second Edition)
Runebound: The Dark Forest
Runebound: The Terrors of the Tomb
Runebound: Traps and Terrors

Those are the six Challenge Deck expansions, each adding 30 Challenge cards to the decks. Base game comes with 84 of those cards, out of which 35 are Green and 25 Yellow, so you tended to see the same ones game in, game out, possibly having to reshuffle a deck at some point.
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.