Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attempted my first solitaire playthrough with Valley of the Kings: Afterlife.

The rules stated that when playing solitaire version, cards that have abilities that key off other players do not occur. Additionally, to win the game you must have one of every card in your tomb at the end without any duplicates as they count against your score and the perfect score denotes winning.

The game ran about thirty five minutes in total. In the solitaire version all the cards that entomb other cards were highly important cards as were the urns. The chamber cards were some of the most valuable cards.

The game was incredibly tight as I entombed the last two cards that I needed on the very last turn of the game.

Caveat: I may not have played this correctly as the one rule I didn't understand fully was the rule that cards that reference other players do not activate. My assumption was that the cards the state another player does something, then you do something. My assumption permitted Linen Bandages and Offering Chapel to activate, as they didn't specifically call out another player. I may be wrong on this one rule negating the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam

Thanks for your commentary. I'd like to hear from others who have tried playing solitaire.

Tom Cleaver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agreen53 wrote:
Attempted my first solitaire playthrough with Valley of the Kings: Afterlife.

The rules stated that when playing solitaire version, cards that have abilities that key off other players do not occur. Additionally, to win the game you must have one of every card in your tomb at the end without any duplicates as they count against your score and the perfect score denotes winning.

The game ran about thirty five minutes in total. In the solitaire version all the cards that entomb other cards were highly important cards as were the urns. The chamber cards were some of the most valuable cards.

The game was incredibly tight as I entombed the last two cards that I needed on the very last turn of the game.

Caveat: I may not have played this correctly as the one rule I didn't understand fully was the rule that cards that reference other players do not activate. My assumption was that the cards the state another player does something, then you do something. My assumption permitted Linen Bandages and Offering Chapel to activate, as they didn't specifically call out another player. I may be wrong on this one rule negating the win.

As per the rules an action can contain multiple parts and are to be executed from top to bottom. So with that in mind Linen Bandages cannot be played for it's Action in the solo game. I did this my first game, then re-read all the cards afterward and noticed that which I then re-read the rules and saw all text is considered the Action but coule be multiple parts.

I also screwed up HARD CORE on the cost of stuff in my first game. I totally messed up the # in the gold coin as the cost and usage amount...I was REALLY REALLY tired as it was early in the morning and I was playing while enjoying my first coffee. It was ok I totally lost that game, ironically the second game I played I won super easily with the normal/basic solo rules.

Can't wait to play this with other people, I have tired a lot of Deck Builders but so far this one has my brain going a million times a minute. So I dig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1413137/solitaire-rules-que... for Tom's ruling on these cards. Offering chapel and dagger are legal actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
KS:

Number in the gold coin as cost and usage? What do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
KS:

I tried the standard solo game a couple of days ago. It was a pretty interesting experience. I found myself skipping buys to be able to burn cards in the pyramid so I didn't have to buy them. I managed to entomb the last card on my final turn and had to do some pretty elaborate combo to pull it off. Will definitely give it another shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
KS:

There was some confusion about which number is the cost (the number in the upper right) and which is the cash value (the number in the scarab).

Tom Cleaver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.