Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Hassani
United States
Springfield Mo
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer however you'd like to but here are some questions to get started:

1- If you implemented this into your game group was it well accepted?
2- Did it improve the pace of the game?
3- Was it effective in reducing A/P?
4- Did it help the 'whos turn is it?' issue.
5- Is there game(s) it works particularly well with?
6- Is there game(s) it works poorly with?

http://www.dgtcube.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=cat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks cool... but it doesn't look like it will roll particularly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only answer 1

No it would not be accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a timer, it works well and has some decent options since it can cover 6 distinct players at once.

1. We initially accepted and enjoyed having it, but since we socialize a lot, we decided to abandon it because we enjoyed taking longer to play games and enjoyed the company and chatter more. We didn't have any issues with the cube during gameplay itself, but felt rushed if we were chatting or snacking.

2. Yes, though as noted above, we decided we enjoyed the company more.

3. To a point, but rushing people ended up being less productive. Turns out that AP prone players get resentful at being rushed, and the game is less enjoyable because of that.

4. Yes since we used specific colors for each player and turned up the correct side as needed.

5. Nothing specific, except perhaps limiting negotiation time like in Chinatown.

6. Nothing specific either.

Overall, it works very well as a timer, but you may end up with limited use depending upon how AP prone your group is and if the friendships and discussions are more important or the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to try this out in a 4p game of Castles Of Mad Ludwig. Aka... "the shaming cube". laugh

player turns took 24, 24, 17, 24, and 11:48 for the "castle phase".

trekrider wrote:
Answer however you'd like to but here are some questions to get started:

1- If you implemented this into your game group was it well accepted?
2- Did it improve the pace of the game?
3- Was it effective in reducing A/P?

1- I asked that group what their policy on its use was... They said they almost always use it, but would consider not using it on request

2- seemed like it to me, but that was only MY first time using it. They claim it did, using it several times already.

3- they claim there was this one person who took a long time. When using this, that person didn't take as much time now.

trekrider wrote:
4- Did it help the 'whos turn is it?' issue.
5- Is there game(s) it works particularly well with?
6- Is there game(s) it works poorly with?

4- Yes. This is one very positive thing about this device. Otherwise, you could always substitute a "current player marker" for any game otherwise

5- games where turns can take a long time, like heavy set euros where you have to plan multiple decision points in a row, like take action A, build B, use resources from bonus to feed to effect C, and have enough tokens to do D 2 turns later

6- Games that are very fast paced. If folks play Ticket To Ride very mechanically and "machine-like", then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Also, games with simultaneous player elements, like 7 Wonders or Race For The Galaxy.

With games like The Resistance, use it to indicate how long each turn took knowing some turns go longer due to heated discussions, confusion, and chaos, while others go quickly since there's not enough info or 'just enough' info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
We tried it sometimes when we were pressed for time. It was awkward to remember who was 'red', 'green', etc, so I put colored notecards in front of each player. Then you would know which side to face up when you passed the cube. Overall it was a little clumsy.

We used another timer app, 'Game Time' that works on the iPhone and iPad. This was less full featured but easier to use. You enter the players names, set the iPhone by the game board, and count-up from there for each player (with an agreed limit/penalty). It's much simpler to operate, and easy to read. (I think it cost 2$ for the multiplayer version, up to 6p.)

Some players hate a clock; some don't mind. (Sometimes, there's no way to finish a game with "certain players" without one- but the group's preference is to avoid those players and keep it casual/relaxed, rather than always be on the clock.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Paulton
United Kingdom
St. Andrews
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks nice on my desk as a paperweight.

Never used because the slow player in my family threw a hissy fit in the last game when we attacked her. Apparently we are no fun to play with anymore and she wants nothing more to do with us.

Desktop art it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it (the LED on the red side works a bit wonky though) and tried it a few times with my group... We keep forgetting to turn the cube on changing players a few times, and the, uhmmm, primary target of this cube just kept ignoring the countdown and continued executing his AP to the fullest. He is my best buddy, so what to do? Just chalk this cube up as evidence and rib him to the fullest with it, that was what we did. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave maltbie
United States
hamilton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the cube has been great for one game, Blokus! Eight minute Blokus has become our standard for this game. 2 minutes for each of the 4 players, and you have a fast and "non-annoying" filler game!
djm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Luchin
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
I think it's fantastic. Especially for those times when it's getting a little late and you want to play a longer game but also want to get to bed at a reasonable hour. Use the cube and the game goes much faster. Or use it all the time and play twice as many games!

There are two benefits. You never forget who's turn it is because there is a big cube sitting in front of the active player, and nobody wants to be the guy who took way more time that anyone else, so nobody takes too long on their turn.

If you want games to go faster, this is the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
djm999 wrote:
So far, the cube has been great for one game, Blokus! Eight minute Blokus has become our standard for this game. 2 minutes for each of the 4 players, and you have a fast and "non-annoying" filler game!

Hehn. My favourite games of Blokus have run about 150 minutes with two players playing two colours each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cube has been wonderful for my gaming group. They all used to play chess competitively, so the notion of the timer was neither new nor intimidating.

What initially surprised me was how much better my friends play with the timer. The cube focuses them by providing a deadline, but allowing them freedom to choose how to budget their time. One friend likes to play quickly for the first half so he has lots of time to grok once the game gets meaty. My other friend likes to play as quickly as possible so he can brag about how much time he's got left.

The cube manages to shave 40-75% from our average playing times while still allowing for banter, rules clarifications and strategy tips.

Since my group cooks dinner and enjoys leisurely conversations (often with wine!) before gaming, we keep non-gaming chat to a minimum once we're playing. The "time saved" by using the cube goes towards second play throughs or a round of billiards.

My friends like having the cube in every game we play now. I've yet to use it as a turn timer (vs a chess clock), but there are a couple games we play where it would be nice to have a combination chess clock / turn timer. I might experiment with that later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looch wrote:
...... and nobody wants to be the guy who took way more time that anyone else, so nobody takes too long on their turn.

If you want games to go faster, this is the answer.
If you took the longest and won, that also has the bonus of making everyone else eat crow cool

But this was another thing I forgot to add to my post was that if you take the longest in that group I mentioned there, as long as it was reasonable, they won't punish you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.