Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The included ziplocks were a nice touch, but since I sleeved my cards straight out of the box, they were ultimately just driving me nuts. So I headed over to Go7Gaming to see what I could find, since I've loved their inserts in the past. Turns out that two of their existing inserts already fit the Ashes box! Their "Heritage line" LGC-002 insert cost more and had twice the shipping cost, so I went with their "Value line" LGC-006 with an extra sheet of LGC-DIVA-006 dividers for good measure.

Here's a single core set sleeved with FFG clear sleeves, organized into starter decks (so for instance, the slot in the far upper left is Aradel's deck with next down holding Aradel, her conjurations, and two dice references; below that is the deck for Maeoni, and so on):

For those unfamiliar with these organizers, the left and right columns hold cards on their sides horizontally (as shown). The middle column is too thin, however, so cards there are positioned on their sides vertically. You can position the dividing walls in the central column to have one section for cards on top and one on bottom with a small one in the middle for bits (dice, in my case), or to have the two card sections abutting one another with a small one at the top or bottom (I didn't do this because then the dividers in those sections would conflict if I wanted both sections divided at the same point).

I haven't decided how I want to store the tokens yet; once we've played the starter decks into the ground and I reorganize the box for deckbuilding I'll probably store the tokens in a separate deck box along with a couple constructed decks.

As mentioned on the Go7Gaming site, the insert is an exact fit in the box:

As a result, with the manual on top and the lid on there is a small amount of lift (the spine of the rulebook falls near the "A" in "Ashes" inside the box):

Constructing these "Value line" organizers is much easier than the old "Heritage line" ones because you need a lot less glue, which means less mopping up extra glue. Given the price and shipping differential, I highly recommend this particular organizer if you want a Go7Gaming organizer for Ashes. It's such a tight fit in the box, you could probably get away without gluing it, too; it would just be a little tricky getting it into and out of the box (not that you have to do that a lot). I'm not entirely sure the half-height middle sections are needed in the left and right lanes, either. I stuck them in because I like following the rules the first time around, but I don't think the structural integrity that they add to the outer walls is really needed since those walls are supported by the box and unlikely to bow inward because of the dividers that get slotted in.

Good luck finding the right storage solution for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Ortiz
Puerto Rico
Dorado
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice. I have 2 new heritage ones from way back when Go7 started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you compare against http://www.thebrokentoken.com/sleeved-card-game-organizer/? It looks like the Go7 one maybe has more dividers built in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I like all the slats there. The BT insert doesn't make it super conducive to keep the Phoenixborn and Conjurations separated without taking up more room than needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
How would you compare against http://www.thebrokentoken.com/sleeved-card-game-organizer/? It looks like the Go7 one maybe has more dividers built in?

I looked at the Broken Token option, but ultimately went with Go7Gaming for a few reasons:

- Go7Gaming is cheaper for more stuff: $14 for the organizer itself (which includes 9 dividers) and $4 for 8 additional dividers = $2 less for 17 dividers and an organizer that allows you to use part of the middle lane compared with Broken Token's 9 dividers and no middle lane available for cards

- Go7Gaming's organizer offers more notches for dividers to fit, so I can get pretty granular in my organization without losing most of the box to wasted space

- Brand loyalty; I own three of their Heritage organizers from their founding Kickstarter (old-style LCG one, the Heritage equivalent of the one pictured above, and a giant one for the third-party wooden Hobby Lobby box), and they're all really high quality. I've never owned a Broken Token organizer, so I can't speak to the quality there, but merely based on the pictures Go7Gaming seems to have a greater attention to detail and designing things in ways that I will actually use.

I'm really hoping that Go7Gaming gets Plaid Hat's permission to do Ashes etching for their bitboxes, because that would be a great way to store the tokens (I'm optimistic about this, because they have Summoner Wars etchings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Gassman
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:

I already ordered the Broken Token sleeved card game organizer for my copy of Ashes -- I will post pictures once I organize everything this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take a look at the broken token imperial settlers insert. It fits in the box really well and has trays for dice and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:
Take a look at the broken token imperial settlers insert. It fits in the box really well and has trays for dice and tokens.

Yes, many people at GenCon bought the IS insert for Ashes because it has compartment that the tokens can be stored in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how things fit after I organized my cards. Top right are Phoenixborn (with reference cards at the very top). Left side from bottom to top is Ally cards, Alteration spells, Action spells, Reaction spells, summoning Ready Spells, other Ready Spells, and Conjurations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Here's how things fit after I organized my cards. Top right are Phoenixborn (with reference cards at the very top). Left side from bottom to top is Ally cards, Alteration spells, Action spells, Reaction spells, summoning Ready Spells, other Ready Spells, and Conjurations.

Very nice.
Are you concerned about any damage from the box not closing all the way?
Also, how hard is it to get the dice out of that center well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

very nice, i think i may have to get this. can you get more dividers to further seperate the dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Are you concerned about any damage from the box not closing all the way?

No, the box lift is incredibly minimal (basically just the rulebook, maybe 2mm), and pretty uniform across the box. I would have no compunction about placing another game on top of Ashes (though currently I'm accessing it so often that's not going to happen for a bit...).

At worst, the rulebook might end up with some indents in the back from the wood walls it's resting on.

jayelbird wrote:
Also, how hard is it to get the dice out of that center well?

You have to get them out one at a time, but it's not that hard. They're sized so that they don't fit perfectly in a row in either direction, so there's always a bit of wiggle room (maybe about 1/3-1/2 a die width). Aside from the ones on top, I have to take them out one at a time, but it isn't that much more time than if I packaged them in separate ziplocks.

Klaxas wrote:
can you get more dividers to further seperate the dice?

Yeah, actually you could. They sell small size dividers that allow you to sub-divide the center well horizontally instead of vertically (LGC6-SM-DIVA and LGC6-SM-DIVB). I didn't get any of them, because there's two downsides that I wasn't willing to deal with:

1. To have enough space to fish the dice out, you'd likely need to sacrifice at least one of the wells that can otherwise hold cards (and I'm planning to stuff this box as full of cards as I possibly can down the road)

2. Because they are horizontal, they can conflict with the dividers for the left and right column wells (you can't have more than one divider per positioning slot). A couple of the organizers I got in the original Go7Gaming Kickstarter are sized so cards fit in all three wells, and conflicting divider placement drove me insane. Then again, I'm also kind of anal so your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Here is my Broken Token Imperial Settlers insert in my Ashes box. Both center trays lift out. I understand that everyone has their preference between Go7 and Broken Token. Just thought I would show another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:

Here is my Broken Token Imperial Settlers insert in my Ashes box. Both center trays lift out. I understand that everyone has their preference between Go7 and Broken Token. Just thought I would show another option.

nice. I do like the pull out inserts for the dice and tokens. are the wells deep enough to store 2 layers of dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:

Thanks for posting the pics! Our Imperial Settlers organizer as well as our LCG2 + Long Bits Box are perfect solutions for Ashes.

Plaid Hat is one of our partners and we are licensed with them for Dead of Winter. We will hopefully be releasing a branded Ashes organizer in the future but need to go through some additional channels since their purchase by Z-Man. Until then, the IS organizer is a great option with 2 removable trays providing lots of space for token and dice storage. Isaac also uses one of our organizers and said that the number of slots we provide will work for future expansion as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gspence wrote:
[q="the_knucklehead"]
Plaid Hat is one of our partners and we are licensed with them for Dead of Winter. We will hopefully be releasing a branded Ashes organizer in the future but need to go through some additional channels since their purchase by Z-Man. Until then, the IS organizer is a great option with 2 removable trays providing lots of space for token and dice storage. Isaac also uses one of our organizers and said that the number of slots we provide will work for future expansion as well.

I think my ideal solution would be one of your artist cases engraved, but unlike the dominion one, id like to see some pull out trays for dice and tokens. the question is will I be able to wait for it before getting something else? those artist cases could sure hold a lot of ashes expansions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
the_knucklehead wrote:

nice. I do like the pull out inserts for the dice and tokens. are the wells deep enough to store 2 layers of dice?

The tray is not deep enough for two layers of dice, but there is an open well in both the top and bottom tray. So that is two more dice sets that could fit from expansion. Also there is room in each well for two more dice so you could really get three more 10 piece dice sets in the trays before things get too crazy. I think it may be a while before we see more than that considering it sounds like the small expansions are going to be just cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_knucklehead wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
the_knucklehead wrote:

The tray is not deep enough for two layers of dice, but there is an open well in both the top and bottom tray. So that is two more dice sets that could fit from expansion. Also there is room in each well for two more dice so you could really get three more 10 piece dice sets in the trays before things get too crazy. I think it may be a while before we see more than that considering it sounds like the small expansions are going to be just cards.

the small expansions are going to be just cards, but really nothing stops them from separately releasing small expansions that have just a set of 10 dice. they would probably be a lot easier to playtest than card sets.

another thing to keep in mind is next year when there is a big box expansion we may get 4 new dice sets. I may just wait till they get the license to engrave the logo on the bigger box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.