Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this on Amazon for $25
http://www.amazon.com/Downfall-Pompeii-Board-Game/dp/B00DGKN...

Then I noticed what looks like a different version here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NDQ0WQ?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh...

Both from Mayfair. Is there any difference? BGG doesn't seem to list one.

(Edited to add correct link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
joecosta wrote:
I just got this on Amazon for $25
http://www.amazon.com/Downfall-Pompeii-Board-Game/dp/B00DGKN...

Then I noticed what looks like a different version here
https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx3F2AHKWQ1YQRV/1/ref=cm_cd_n...=

Both from Mayfair. Is there any difference? BGG doesn't seem to list one.

Yes, look at the dimensions. The earlier printing is bigger. I remember when the reprint came out, there were some complaints about it being smaller, can't remember all the differences but the gist was that it was a lower quality edition of the game. So I'd go for the older printing if it's still available.

Look at the "versions" on the BGG game page, and you'll see the different editions/printings that Mayfair has put out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the old edition once and own the new edition. I don't recall a big difference in quality. Great game either way.

The new edition features optional dual vent tiles, and I don't know if those were included in the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the biggest difference is in the 2nd edition, there are a few tiles that are double sided you can use either side and change the placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're all awesome. Thanks for the clarity. I see it now on the BGG game page. I must have overlooked it the first time.

Much Appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
What you'd want to be careful of, if you did go for that pricier seemingly older printing, is that they are indeed selling the older printing, and they didn't just grab the wrong edition info by accident. Not a bad idea to confirm with them before they ship it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that the newer updated rulebook alone makes the new one the better one. Also you now get a full amount of player pieces. The old version red and black were used in 2 players as they were the only colors with 40 pieces. Also dual vent tiles as mentioned. The volcano looks slightly different in the new one. The top is shaped irregularly instead of flat. Go with the smaller new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the original edition's box is larger but is the actual board itself larger in the original? And if so, are the tiles also larger?

I've watched video reviews of each edition and can't tell any change in the board size between the editions, other than the original board folding in half, and the reprint folding into fourths.

Does anyone have pictures that compare the sizes of the original board and the reprint board? Original tiles vs reprint tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadMime wrote:
I know the original edition's box is larger but is the actual board itself larger in the original? And if so, are the tiles also larger?

I've watched video reviews of each edition and can't tell any change in the board size between the editions, other than the original board folding in half, and the reprint folding into fourths.

Does anyone have pictures that compare the sizes of the original board and the reprint board? Original tiles vs reprint tiles?

I've owned both versions, don't have them in front of me but by memory they are the same size. Just, as you said, one has a single-fold board and the other double-fold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.