GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cards Against Humanity» Forums » General

Subject: Design Deck - Complete disappointment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will lead with the following background: I have almost all the cards (at least all the cards officially published minus UK, canadian, AU, etc) plus crabs adjust humidity, cards and punishment, all the pax cards... needless to say i have a lot of cards. They are even sleeved.

Despite this variety of cards, the game just isn't funny anymore. Too many combos have been played out that there just have been few moments where I am like, ya this answer really deserved to win and wasn't just the best choice of a bunch of bad decisions.

So i purchased the design deck, with the hopes of some new direction. [and because i'm a sucker for being a completionist].

it was garbage. All the design pack is, equal parts: Tits, Cunt, Fuck, Cock sucking, Shit, potpourri.

really... it's pretty much the above group of words with an artsy background and multiple versions of said words with different artsy backgrounds.

i shouldn't say i had high hopes for this product, after all, i know the genre. but i expected more than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!

But seriously, I do appreciate knowing what's in the design deck and that I am totally fine continuing to pass on it. I too am reaching CAH saturation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you read any of the promotional materials about the design deck. It was supposed to be an artistic rendering of the 7 words you can't say on television as a tribute to George Carlin. Hence repetition of shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, & tits.

I don't see why you would expect anything different. I think they did a nice job.

And OF COURSE THE GAME ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE! The game only plays well when you're drinking and with a sufficient group of people who haven't played it to death or who are not hard core gamers. Duh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
That's why 1kbwc is still the king

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand by my original review of the game and that is that is is really fun IF played with the right people and only played once or twice a year. The more you play it, and the more you play it with the same people, it gets watered down and loses its edge. We only use the original game and the 5 or 6 normal expansions for it here. Though we have found that using the blanks that they provide to add some custom cards to the game also adds a bit of fun and life to it as well.

Thanks for the review on the Designer pack though. Glad I didn't bother with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samuraimunky wrote:
it was garbage. All the design pack is, equal parts: Tits, Cunt, Fuck, Cock sucking, Shit, potpourri.

So you're upset because you got what was described on the tin? There were certainly a few duds in the pack (mostly because people simply wouldn't know what they meant) but overall I found it to be a wonderful tribute to George Carlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
I don't know if you read any of the promotional materials about the design deck. It was supposed to be an artistic rendering of the 7 words you can't say on television as a tribute to George Carlin. Hence repetition of shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, & tits.

I don't see why you would expect anything different. I think they did a nice job.

And OF COURSE THE GAME ISN'T FUNNY ANYMORE! The game only plays well when you're drinking and with a sufficient group of people who haven't played it to death or who are not hard core gamers. Duh!

From the store page this is all the upfront info you get.

"The Design Pack contains 30 fully-illustrated cards by some of the best graphic designers in the world, including Milton Glaser (I <3 NY), Susan Kare (the Apple Macintosh), Erik Spiekermann (MetaDesign), and legendary printmakers including Jay Ryan, Yann Legendre, Olly Moss, Mike Mitchell, and Sonnenzimmer."

If you click the learn more link, it says the images were 'inspired by george carlin's 7 words'. I did not read anything further that said it would be cards that only use those words.

justinhiltz wrote:
So you're upset because you got what was described on the tin? There were certainly a few duds in the pack (mostly because people simply wouldn't know what they meant) but overall I found it to be a wonderful tribute to George Carlin.

Given the above site's description, i would not have guessed all 30 of the cards would have been so focused around the seven words you can't say on tv. I surmised it would have been 7 cards and 23 other cards of a similar vein.

admittedly, when i opened the pack up, i had forgotten about the george carlin aspect. i have a bit more appreciation of it, with that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil De Leo
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
These cards basically aren't for use with the game more so than a tribute to George Carlin and a way to raise funds. If both players each play "piss" who wins? Also, they aren't funny; just artsy-fartsy. So, like that great song from New Radicals, "you get what you give".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until your mother in law plays the artsy "cunt" card and doesn't realize that is what it says. Totally worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.