Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all -

I've never made a mat before, but I tried my hand at one.

What do you think? Any idea how I can ensure that when I print this it'll be the correct size? I copied the dimensions of the Lair spaces, etc. from the villain mat that Upper Deck posted on the forums.

Advice? I'll work on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it make sense to have the MasterMind (and maybe the Scheme) on this mat?

Also, would you need New Recruit/Sidekick and Madam Hydra/Maria Hill spots for your starter deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Daniel the mat is looking good so far Love the background Image.

If you don't mind here's some suggestions.

To mesh the text with the other mats try to have the text be black bordered white or (occasionally colour bordered ie. Commander, Mastermind, SHIELD stack) making it easy to read.

And if you can Layer in the Ledgendary Two-tone Header with maybe Mastermind added beneath the Ledgendary in your Red colour already used.

I think with those changes it would be perfect.

Then the only thing required is correct sizing which unfortunately I can't help with at all.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
az933k wrote:
Wouldn't it make sense to have the MasterMind (and maybe the Scheme) on this mat?

Also, would you need New Recruit/Sidekick and Madam Hydra/Maria Hill spots for your starter deck?

Because those things will be on the hero board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
az933k wrote:

Because those things will be on the hero board.

I guess I was just thinking if the if i was playing Hydra starting cards and my opponent was playing Hero, I would need spots for Madam Hydra and New Recruits while the hero used Maria Hill and Sidekicks.

Just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again Daniel,

I just looked at the Secret Wars rule book and noticed the Ambition row needs to be a Maximum 4 cards long or some people may get confused and think they can have Pure Evil and 4 cards.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi again Daniel,

I just looked at the Secret Wars rule book and noticed the Ambition row needs to be a Maximum 4 cards long or some people may get confused and think they can have Pure Evil and 4 cards.

Martin.

I was under the impression that Pure Evil didn't count as one of the four because the rules say it "starts" the ambition row and can't be discarded - I.e. The ambition row would be as wide as the city including pure evil. I could be wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi again Daniel,

Martin.

I was under the impression that Pure Evil didn't count as one of the four because the rules say it "starts" the ambition row and can't be discarded - I.e. The ambition row would be as wide as the city including pure evil. I could be wrong though.

Well Pure Evil starts the Ambition Row but as per the below rule pulled direct from the rule book it reads pretty clear as 4 Total as Pure Evil is still a face up Ambition card just it is one that can't be discarded.

"There can be a maximum of 4 Ambition cards face up at once in the Ambition Row. If there are already 4 cards there when a new Ambition card is revealed, then the Mastermind Player must discard one of those Ambition cards or the newly drawn Ambition card to make room."

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi again Daniel,

Martin.

Well Pure Evil starts the Ambition Row but as per the below rule pulled direct from the rule book it reads pretty clear as 4 Total as Pure Evil is still a face up Ambition card just it is one that can't be discarded.

"There can be a maximum of 4 Ambition cards face up at once in the Ambition Row. If there are already 4 cards there when a new Ambition card is revealed, then the Mastermind Player must discard one of those Ambition cards or the newly drawn Ambition card to make room."

Martin.

Upon further inspection of the rule sheet, I think you're probably right. Making changes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Daniel.

Also for an idea delete the leftmost Ambition row and add a New Recruit and Madam Hydra spaces and replace the KO pile with Bindings this allows the main board to be heroes (ie. Wounds, Maria Hill and Sidekicks) and yours the Villains cards.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I updated the original image with my most recent changes. Unfortunately Inked Playmats can only print 14x24, so that's the size I'm going for, which leaves lots of empty space. I left a few slots for Bindings, New Recruits, and/or Hydra, but I left them blank so that people can honestly put whatever stacks of junk they want there.

If you have a unique request, I'll see about putting it in for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also crunched the numbers on conversion -- it's within 4 pixels of being on the money in terms of dimensions. I used the HQ BGG image of the Villain mat as my guide. Worked really well it seems. Looking forward to printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
I updated the original image with my most recent changes. Unfortunately Inked Playmats can only print 14x24, so that's the size I'm going for, which leaves lots of empty space. I left a few slots for Bindings, New Recruits, and/or Hydra, but I left them blank so that people can honestly put whatever stacks of junk they want there.

Elegant Solution on the other spaces Daniel, I love the updates.

The only other thing I can think of to make it look perfect is to add HQ/LAIR text above the Lair image.

That way it can be used as a Commander/Mastermind Mastermind Player.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only thing that'll make changing the text on the lair difficult is that it's literally a copy of the villain mat's Lair. I think for my own purposes I'm going to keep it as-is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fare enough it still looks great.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea how much it would cost to get one of these printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:

Inked Playmats also offers 14x28 mats, which some of the templates on here are for (I think that is also the size of the Villains game mat, not 14x24 - although I don't own the game so I cannot confirm for sure).

TravelSized wrote:

14x24 mats are $25 without a coupon code.
14x28 mats are $30 without a coupon code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

Inked Playmats also offers 14x28 mats, which some of the templates on here are for (I think that is also the size of the Villains game mat, not 14x24 - although I don't own the game so I cannot confirm for sure).

TravelSized wrote:

That's correct. I meant that 14x24 was the smallest option I could use to fit everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedaninblack wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
thedaninblack wrote:

TravelSized wrote:

That's correct. I meant that 14x24 was the smallest option I could use to fit everything.

Oh ok. Gotcha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most updated version now uploaded. Anything else I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking this morning that since I'm not likely to play with these rules all the time that a rule summary box in the upper corner might be useful.

But then I remembered that the rules sheet is only a sheet, so I don't have to really dig for it.

So, you know, whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking Good.

Really like the look of it.

Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
I was thinking this morning that since I'm not likely to play with these rules all the time that a rule summary box in the upper corner might be useful.

But then I remembered that the rules sheet is only a sheet, so I don't have to really dig for it.

So, you know, whatever.

I thought of it and tried it already. It was really clunky because there are a lot of rules. I decided against it. Also I didn't know how it'd turn out.

On another note, would anyone be interested in a color version of the mat instead of the blue? Or is the blue better for uniformity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the blue is pretty awesome, but I don't know what the color version looks like.

As far as the rules go, I think all that you'd really need is this:

Quote:
Setup:
You aren't counted as a player when setting up the hero and villain decks,

You do count for any special setup, rules, or "Evil Wins" text on the Scheme.

Gameplay:
You aren't affected by Master Strikes, Ambush, or Escape effects.

You are affected by Schemes, Heroes and Fight effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

That's the color image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.