13 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Question about play time with the base game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have the second edition of the game, but I am not a big fun of the campaign or the maps where there is nothing new beyond the doors. So it seems I might enjoy the first edition, found the copy I could buy, but I'm getting scared by the stories of playtime up to 6 hours. 2-3 hours is absolutely fine, but longer would mean I would play it very rarely...

So the question is, how long is the game realistically, with just the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on the number of players, but 6-8 hours would be typical.
Recently played 'The Chase' quest which took 3 evenings, each 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

I would be mostly playing 2 players, would that make it faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Minedog3 wrote:

I would be mostly playing 2 players, would that make it faster?

Not necessarily - some of it has to do with the pace at which the hero team will move. The overlord can spawn monsters out of line of sight of the heroes (which thematically means they don't just spawn in thin air ), so the hero player(s) will move in a way to try and maximize their view of all areas. That slows things down a lot. Larger maps means more area to cover, etc.

Once players get the hang of the rules, things can speed up (and more dice certainly help), but it is just a longer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two players would make it faster as there is less debate on what to do even if someone has bouts of AP going on. I think 6-8 hours is too big an estimate, I feel 4-6 is more accurate, 2-5 when rule familiarity is there. Make no mistake though, it will be a longer play than 2E, but you will also find it more rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
4-5 hours max. 3 hrs occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
Two players would make it faster as there is less debate on what to do even if someone has bouts of AP going on. I think 6-8 hours is too big an estimate, I feel 4-6 is more accurate, 2-5 when rule familiarity is there. Make no mistake though, it will be a longer play than 2E, but you will also find it more rewarding.

Deadsider speaks the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have played dozens of quest, and none of them took under 4 hours, most of them at least 6.

I can remember only one quest taking about 2.5 hours, and that was a fan-made quest with only two rooms and two heroes.

That said, I think the time investment is well worth it compared to Descent 2. The experience is much richer, and never do I feel that the game drags.

A small caveat to give a little more context: my game group is not known for having quick players (myself included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, I'm glad going below 6h is possible... still that's a very long game indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Thanks everybody, I'm glad going below 6h is possible... still that's a very long game indeed.

It is, to be sure. If you think Descent with some more depth and complexity would fly in your group though, I'd bite on it. It might be a bear to get to the table at first, but it'll hook you in no time. Not for everyone with time constraints I admit, but man... you'll make time for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Descent tonight w/ 2 newbies and 2 1x previous players. Quest 5 of vanilla. First game ended in an hour in room 1. Restarted the quest and they got to the final room. Started at 9pm, ended at 1:30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
Deadsider wrote:

Deadsider speaks the truth.

"+1"

Verily, verily, he doth utter the word of truth.

My group is slow, 8 hours per quest...ughh...but it's just too awesome not to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the plunge and got the game, really happy about the quality (used copy), surprised it had so many heroes (20 vs 12 monster types) and will be playing it this weekend! too bad chances for getting expansions for a decent price where I live are almost zero, so let's hope I will not love it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.