GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

War Without Mercy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reinforcements/Replacements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finding the reinforcement/replacement rules pretty impenetrable.

---

The "Reserve Ground Unit Box"

This box seems to have no rules associated with it whatsoever, except for 27.35.

I have no idea what this box is for, or how units get in and out of it.

---

The mysterious "Add" condition:

"27.3 REINFORCMENT TERMINOLOGY IN THE ORDER OF APPEARANCE
The following terms are used throughout the Order of Appearance listings for reinforcements.
27.31 Add:
The unit is added to the replacement pool. It may then be brought into play using RPs in the same manner as replacing eliminated units."

The problem is, the word "Add" does not appear anywhere in the orders of appearance.

-----

"27.1 REINFORCEMENTS
Countries receive reinforcements according to the scenario order of battle. Reinforcements are placed on the board in controlled cities in their home country during the friendly Reinforcement Phase. "

Does this mean all the undesignated units in the Orders of Battle are considered free Reinforcements and just appear on the map?

Or are they considered "Add" units that cost RPs to build and place?

The difference is enormous.

----

Considering how long and fiddly the reinforcement/replacement rules are, I am really shocked at their ambiguity. I can't tell if the Soviets get tons of free reinforcement units, or whether they just get "allowable builds" which cost RPs to place on the map.

Reinforcements and replacements should be the most mindless/least effort of any part of a game. They represent production outside of the commanding general's control. The ambiguity of the rules, combined with the tedious math and counting of RPs per city, depending on who controls it and whether it is in supply (or how long it is has been out of supply, and whether it has a local RP pool it contributes to) is rapidly sapping my desire to even try this game.

Has there been any official clarification on how reinforcements and replacements actually work? You certainly can't tell from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
I am the Sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a link to the rules online but I can't seem to find it so I can't answer your questions now. I will see if I can find my rules tomorrow and I can try to explain the reinforcements and replacements to you.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

They are here

https://clashofarms.com/files/SFE_RulesFinal.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first thing to understand is if you just playing the Barbarossa scenario you use the reinforcements listed in the War Without Mercy scenarios book. You ignore the terminology in the rule book and follow the scenario rules in the scenario book.

If you are playing the Campaign game you use the Reinforcement Charts that come with the games. The terms are listed on the OOB charts and show basically is a unit is a Reinforcement or a Reserve. A Reinforcement is placed in a any Major City in a home country. I believe there are a few exceptions to this for Britain and Russia. A country may start with units in Reserve per the OOB charts. I think only Russia has units starting in the Reserve box.

27.35 is referencing the Reserve Boxes on the player handouts. Units are placed in the Reserve Boxes per the Order of Battle Sheets. At the beginning of the game the only country that starts with units in the reserve box is Russia. Units enter the map from the Reserve box per 27.0 Reinforcements. The Ground unit placements listed in 27.11 changes a little for the Russians later in the war by the way.

27.31 is referencing the OOB sheets. If a units has Add next to it the unit must be built with Replacement Points. Again this rule is not used in the Barbarossa scenario, just use the rules in the WWM scenario book.

So, in the Campaign Scenarios countries can have the following:

Reinforcements which are placed for free in a supplied major city per 27.0.

Replacement Points which are received per the OOB sheets and are used to rebuild dead or reduced on map units and also to build units placed in the replacement pool per 27.31 and then placed on the map per 27.21. I do know that if a unit REPLACEMENT cannot be placed in a Red Replacement City when it is built it goes in the Reserve box where the following turn it can be placed like a Reinforcement. However, I cannot find that in the rules so I apologize about that.

Air units replacements and reinforcements are handled per 27.12 and 27.24. However remember that a side cannot have more air units on the map than its Active Air Limit. See the note at the bottom of 27.24.

Hope that helps. For the record I really enjoy the series but may not be explaining it the best.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan.

It sounds like the Reserve Box, and the "Add" units, are both things that only apply if you have the Brute Force and Med games, and the OOB sheets that come with them. WWM does not come with those OOBs nor any rules about the reserve box. It is puzzling because there are Reserve Ground Unit boxes on both the Axis and Soviet displays but no apparent rules about how to move units in and out of them. Sounds like they are meant for use only with all three combined games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, the reserve boxes and OOB sheets are for use with the combined sheets. All of the scenarios that come with just WWM use the scenario booklet for the units and reinforcements.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Assuming one is playing the whole enchilada, I cannot find anything anywhere (not the rulebook or the Med book, both of which I have searched on pdf) which tells me how I can get a unit from the reserve box to the map.

Anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony,

If you look on the Soviet OOB Card the last page has a section listed Reserves. This lists when the reserves are called up, which basically means they are moved from the Reserve Box and placed just like Reinforcements per rule 27.11.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Can't believe I missed that :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.