GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Starting the campaign... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there aren't enough posts going on lately to satisfy my DnD cravings, I decided to throw my own current thought in here, for whatever they're worth.
It looks like my son and I are going to start working our way through the campaign adventures which I'm very pumped up about. I don't have all the expansions so we started with the green dragon adventure (3.1 the green queen's desmene or something like that). What came before this, the ballista which I don't have?
I made sure it was ok if I took the good side and my son was ok with that. Old Claug gets to be fitted out to 45 pts and the good guys get to have 60 pts. I thought it could be cheesy for the good guys to just trick out a bad boy like Pacatus up to 60 pts and ignore the objectives to just fly right in Claugilyamatar's face and fry him without breaking a sweat. I wanted to avoid something like that so took Ontharr Frume with helm of leadership, warhorse, challenge and adamantine lance and Dragonfly the grey with control weather, call lighting and some darkleaf.
Turn 1 was the most flavorful of the match and also of recent memory. Claugilyamatar had initiative and pulled off Snatch on the Paladin right before my holy night could impale the green scaled villain. Instead, Frume's less than loyal warhorse took abandoned his rider never to be seen again. Then Dragonfly cast control weather, grounding the dragon. Which turned out to be fantastic for the next turn. Because when Frume got dropped from the Snatch effect, he took no falling dmg due to not being at altitude. After Claugilyamatar's next attack, Dragonfly got to cast Call Lighting fully within the effect area of Control Weather, something I've always wanted to pull off. So not being in Claug's forward arc, I'm rolling 5 armor penetrating dice (Claug perfomed a pivot maneuver). I roll 1 hit! But Isaac points out the his dragon is on the ground and next to a token that represents a tree, so of course the lightning is going to hit the tree more than the beast on the ground...I love it! Oozing with flavor!
In the end, I got some lucky guesses searching through the objectives and Ontharr Frume escaped off the play area with the required two tokens while Dragonfly covered his game winning escape.
I had a lot of fun with this and am looking forward to the next one. I think it's the Lord Max scenario. I'll let my boy pick what side he wants to be for this one.
As a side rules question, Isaac pointed out that it seems like with some clever flying, one could use Snatch to force a figure right off the battlefield, because at the end of the effect, the snatched figure has to place itself withing range 1 of the "snatcher's" forward arc. If the snatcher can position that forward arc to be close enough to the battlefield's edge, well, bye bye. Is this right? If so, I think that's fantastic!
Oh yeah, big shout out to Kingbob for doing this first and taking the time to do REAL session reports! Your reports made me want to do this and I hope lots of people give this a try because it looks to be a very satisfying endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! I'm hoping to do the same with my son soon (once summer camps are done).

The adventures prior to that one are the ones included with the starter set.

http://dndaw.com/2014/10/wave-1-campaign-adventure-order/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few of the figures and upgrades you used were available at that time; I wonder how balanced the scenarios are when you include things from later waves. For example, the Harper Legion scenario is trivial to win if you equip Dimension Door on your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So great to see others getting into this!

As I often get the side using the booster star of the mission, I have noticed that I often feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I've noticed it most in the green dragon and wyvern missions, but I also don't really think it's a huge issue. The missions are, I think, meant to be played over and over, with players swapping sides to get both perspectives. And part of the challenge is knowing that you're likely going to be facing a force tailored to take on your creature, and thinking of ways to work around that.

At the same time, I do think there are probably clear cases where creatures or upgrades that were not available when the mission was first released should be prohibited, or at least restricted in some way, like Dimension Door and the Harper Legion elves. At the same time, counters to everything are coming out all the time, so maybe packing Counterspell in that mission would be something to consider?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try to remember the dimension door/elf scenario issue. I don't want to spoil a perfectly good adventure. It'll be a while before I get that far though. I don't play nearly as often as I'd like.
I'd also really love to try Claugilyamatar's side in this last adventure. I love a challenge. But with limited time I'll probably end up just going for the next adventure instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
At the same time, counters to everything are coming out all the time, so maybe packing Counterspell in that mission would be something to consider?

I don't think that you get get in range of elves cowering against the far edge. Maybe if you have a large base, 5 forward and Feint without losing your extra action.

Clearly the elves should be accompanied by an Elven Spellcaster, also with Counterspell. Only one allowed per side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.