Subject: Eight rule variants used many times rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played hundreds of games of Arkham Horror, taken months off, started again, purged my brain and started fresh again. Rinse, repeat, multiple times.

Before I get into the variants. Number one enjoyment of the game was the unknown of going into the areas, and reading the encounters. Before you realized it was a gate sealing SIM, it was a game of unknown and mystery, and simply put - get new virgin cards made for each area - and it's all new and wonderful again. You win, you lose, it was always the journey, and not the destination of a win that was the pleasure.

Posting simply because I wish more people would post more about AH.

A few of the Arkham Horror Variations played to date :

1. Known Gate isn't a vacuum Variation : Upon entering a zone with a gate, you can choose to have the encounter instead of being sucked in.
a. Reasoning : Theme, general logic.
b. Usage : Constant
c. Game balance : Makes a lot of sense thematically, and in reality

2. Hidden Gates : Unless entered, a gate is simply a glowing circle in the air – destination unknown (still facedown).
a. Reasoning : More unknowns! More mystery.
b. Usage : Constant
c. Game balance : Makes it harder, especially if you are looking for the Dreamlands, or another specific otherworld.

3. Mystery Monsters : Created a bag of colored stones, with the outline of the border being equal in number to the number of stones in the bag. Then used a bag of zombies with the appropriate symbol appropriate and then color (for the gameboard).
a. Reasoning : More mystery, and removes some of the drone & cell phone usage from the game (ie. You know stuff you shouldn’t)
b. Usage : Long (50 plus games). Not in current use.
c. Game balance : Makes it harder, increases injuries, and in general we wondered why we couldn’t see it was a fire vampire before we showed up. Much like wondering how we knew when we were two districts away. More enjoyable with a large group when sometimes there seems to be too much talent/power later in the game. It's a mystery what you are about to fight(to a certain extent - red border still moves 2, and we know what the options are - yellow doesn't move etc. But maybe it's Immune Physically, maybe not). Green we normally just left as green monster as it doesn't work any other way.

4. Better equipment : Deal additional one card of unique, common, and spells for the characters to choose from at the beginning. Discard additional card, so counts are correct – No Elder Signs as random Unique Items.
a. Reasoning : Theme, also gives a character a better chance to be prepared for something they were preparing for. I mean it was more than chance right? Also, two lanterns? What?
b. Usage : Very long (100 plus games)
c. Game balance : Easier. In AH, equipment matters. So a truly horrible set of equipment and a bad 2-3 turns of Mythos cards and you are simply sunk. No Elder Signs can be dealt is the compromise position. Again, the game should still be rigged against you, and you feel it’s too easy – probably playing it wrong.

5. Retire characters until you’ve cycled through everyone. You can deal two, play one, or if it’s a smaller group, deal 3 keep 2.
a. Reasoning : Stops people playing favorites, and allows players to see new synergies between characters.
b. Usage : Long(50 plus games). If doing a long sessions of games – in use, otherwise not.
c. Game balance : No effect. Simply forces everyone to be played, and perhaps see an upside to a character you don’t like.

6. Communal Equipment : Place all the equipment pulled at the start, place in the middle and swap out – common for common, etc.
a. Reasoning : Equipment starts have a huge influence on the game, especially really really bad situations.
b. Usage : Short
c. Game balance : Easier but not much so. Helped eliminate bad mixes, duplicate motorbikes for one character etc (Not sure if we ever had this, but it’s an extreme example of… well that makes sense). Doesn’t improve number of items, types of items, or money. Thematically some sense, as the players never really meet prior to starting out – but they had to right? In the end, Better Equipment variation won over this one.

7. The store should be consistent : After the first player enters the store, turn over 5 cards of appropriate type. That’s the store for one turn. Upon reading mythos, remove first card to waste pile, add mystery card face down. Don’t turn up until a character is there. No, repeat no Elder Signs. Elder signs drawn are shuffled back into the deck. Elder Signs might go face down into the waste pile if no one visits in time however.
a. Reasoning : Makes the store a destination vs just a lottery ticket. Also from a theme/logic sense – at least have some consistency.
b. Usage : Long. Not in current use.
c. Gameplay : Makes the game a bit easier, if you want something that’s there. Makes it harder to get Elder Signs – almost eliminates camping by a player with cash.

8. You must buy something, maybe : I’m looking for a weapon. Okay, no weapon – you don’t have to purchase. I’m looking for a tome…. Etc.
a. Reasoning : What are you desperate? I went to the general store and all I got was this lousy map. Time is not your friend, and wasting your time at the store is a sacrifice unless of course its pretty wrapped up, and then why do you care what you get. If you don’t like the selection, then I guess you can wait.
b. Usage : Very long
c. Gameplay : Minimal effect. Maybe you wait an additional turn for a tome or a weapon (and you have to take the knife, even if you wanted the Tommy Gun (and it didn't show up).

Things we don’t mess with.

1. Skill sliders. Your focus is a power. Start messing with people with 1 focus to make them more enjoyable – destroying the reason to want a person with 3.
2. Adding more money. Normally we don’t even go to the Bank. Truly extreme cases, money is available – get a job.
3. Getting rid of curses. It sucks, you’re cursed. Move on. Reason #33 it’s not a great solo character game. Fun solo, but with multiple characters.
4. Sanity losses. You aren’t playing D&D, this isn’t a long term career choice, you are altering reality using yourself as a conduit.
5. Trying to make two characters work as a team. Like a bad movie, the crew splits up… sure it makes sense to stick together, but it’s evidently a human flaw.

As with a lot of people, still working on AH 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
But equipament is a integral part of the balance of characters. I wouldn't mess with this, as I think it can cause some characters to be way better than others from the get go.

The necessesity of buying. Since my items deck, with all the expansions, are freaking huge, I use it slight differently:

- if going to buy you have two options:
a) either you reveal 3 cards and isn't obliged to buy any of them;
b) or reveal 5 cards and you must buy one if possible.

It works pretty well.

But I don't mind having the items exposed, though it would take a little more space of my already crowed table.

Anyway, of all those variants, I can see some of them working well. And the first and second are already suggestions well known around.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden gates we always use, except when we play with the gates from the Lurker expansion. Part of their abilities would not work properly, I think.

The idea of gates not blocking a location is one that I have entertained, but not used yet. We are already winning far too often, as is. However, I think that it makes sense, thematically, so I will implement it.

The monsters variant is intriguing, although - why use additional zombies? I would use the stones to move around the board, ad replace them with a monster when an investigator is in the same or an adjacent street location or encounter location. Maybe even when passing through, but I am not sure. This, of course, increases casualties very strongly, so I am not sure I want to implement this. Thinking about it, though.

The shop situation is interesting.
I love the shop in Eldritch Horror, so I think I am going to use this for the shops - display of 5 (hidden what you do not know yet, as you described), one for the "under the counter" items. The latter can be an Elder Sign and changes every visit (i.e. card is discarded afterwards). However, you need to roll a die and gain a success to reveal it (it can be discarded face-down).
This will not mitigate camping overly much, but I think it is thematical, and I also think that Elder Signs should be available to be acquired...

The other ideas I am not sure about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
But equipament is a integral part of the balance of characters. I wouldn't mess with this, as I think it can cause some characters to be way better than others from the get go.

The necessesity of buying. Since my items deck, with all the expansions, are freaking huge, I use it slight differently:

- if going to buy you have two options:
a) either you reveal 3 cards and isn't obliged to buy any of them;
b) or reveal 5 cards and you must buy one if possible.

It works pretty well.

But I don't mind having the items exposed, though it would take a little more space of my already crowed table.

Anyway, of all those variants, I can see some of them working well. And the first and second are already suggestions well known around.

Regards,

In both cases regarding the equipment, it's still random. It's just taking the edge off of some really bad randomness, and at the same time not empowering everyone with say... okay everyone gets one weapon... which really seems reasonable in concept... but upsets the balance with those characters that have a weapon already.

The balance of the characters is about keeping their uniqueness or not eliminating their 'plus' due to some rule change. ie. We enforce focus, no going back in time and moving it because you forgot. Stay focused (on focus)!

So I disagree with your thought that adding a little more variety to the equipment list is upsetting the balance. The reality of having a Tommy Gun or similar just shows the impact of weapons. Also when two Elder Signs show up.

Have toyed with having a starting deck of equipment, just for the initial play. Remove Tommy Guns, Elder Signs, etc. Pretty much most of the special equipment that people show up with.

Yes, the decks are huge if you don't bring them down to size - it's a thought that I think everyone toys with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Hidden gates we always use, except when we play with the gates from the Lurker expansion. Part of their abilities would not work properly, I think.

The idea of gates not blocking a location is one that I have entertained, but not used yet. We are already winning far too often, as is. However, I think that it makes sense, thematically, so I will implement it.

The monsters variant is intriguing, although - why use additional zombies? I would use the stones to move around the board, ad replace them with a monster when an investigator is in the same or an adjacent street location or encounter location. Maybe even when passing through, but I am not sure. This, of course, increases casualties very strongly, so I am not sure I want to implement this. Thinking about it, though.

The shop situation is interesting.
I love the shop in Eldritch Horror, so I think I am going to use this for the shops - display of 5 (hidden what you do not know yet, as you described), one for the "under the counter" items. The latter can be an Elder Sign and changes every visit (i.e. card is discarded afterwards). However, you need to roll a die and gain a success to reveal it (it can be discarded face-down).
This will not mitigate camping overly much, but I think it is thematical, and I also think that Elder Signs should be available to be acquired...

The other ideas I am not sure about...

If you are thinking about the surprise element of the lurker gates, it's still there, but you treat it as simply approaching the gate as if you knew what it was. If you use the variation of existing gate gives you the option of venturing in, then you have discovered the gate and said... no wait... the Black Cave looks more inviting.

If you are winning far too often, have you thought to why? Number expansions used? Number of characters used? If AH was easy, it would be less enjoyable. Not saying that because you have a high win percentage, and it isn't fun. But the AO alone is a massive variable on success.

The zombies? Just more fun to have zombies on the board and... not all colors are the same icon for movement. The bag of zombies is really a lot of different bags. Black border... but what is the symbol?

If you think your success rate is too high, reduce access to the Elder Signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:

Regards,

If you play long enough, most people will try most variations eventually.

This was just the list of variations that worked on our game play, and didn't make it easy - violate the rules or mitigate the abilities of characters (luck sharing, 3 focus for everyone, etc) - or turn it into another game (EH, DoW, etc).

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play with a variant that changes the way the "broken seal" rules work. We play that when the red locations are drawn, they break the seal at a location (if any)... BUT doesn't put a gate there. We felt that the shift if TOO quick. This slows the players' loss by a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use some similar, some different variations.
Ad 1. We play it so that you will always get sucked into a gate, but when you return, you may choose not to try to close the gate and have an encounter instead. It gives you time while you wait for Nobody will help you now to change into something more pleasant or a way to get the one missing clue. However you risk being move to the street in certain locations.

Ad 2. Only the Moving gate from LatT does anyhing while not revealed. If you can live wih it (it makes the game somewhat easier, but only negligibly and it is offset by hardening the game with hidden gates), then you can play with hidden gates even from the Lurker. We do and it is fine (and sometimes frustrating, when you enter a gate with someone with 4-5 fight/lore only to find the R'lyeh / Abyss split gate (-4)).

Ad 4. and 6. Have you seen and tried Tibs' Thematic starting equipment? Surely, it makes the game harder, adds a bit complexity to startup, on the other hand it eliminates Michael the book collector mobster or wrestling Professor. We triedit only once so far, but I really like it!

Ad 5. We always draw two random inv. for each "slot" and have to choose fromthem. Of course there are still some that get played more often than the others, but it gives you incentive to play even the underrated ones. If we are e. g. on vacation and therefore we know we will be playing more than one session, we also retire the used investigators.

Ad. 7. and 8. I think he way he stores work it is not about what is shown on counter, but what you are able to find within a mess of at the current situation useless things. That is why you always draw three new cards. We play it so that you can buy any number of the shown items (with the exception of Magick shoppe spells, where you are still limited to one). Also we often go there with more people and pool the money, so we can look onmore cards (search deeper in the store if you like), while being able to buy both Tommygun and shotgun that show in the first selection. But each investigator has to buy st he has money on. That way "elder-sign-digging" is prevented.

Your versions seems fun although, so we may try it sometime;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matejmoravek wrote:
We use some similar, some different variations.
Ad 1. We play it so that you will always get sucked into a gate, but when you return, you may choose not to try to close the gate and have an encounter instead. It gives you time while you wait for Nobody will help you now to change into something more pleasant or a way to get the one missing clue. However you risk being move to the street in certain locations.

Ad 2. Only the Moving gate from LatT does anyhing while not revealed. If you can live wih it (it makes the game somewhat easier, but only negligibly and it is offset by hardening the game with hidden gates), then you can play with hidden gates even from the Lurker. We do and it is fine (and sometimes frustrating, when you enter a gate with someone with 4-5 fight/lore only to find the R'lyeh / Abyss split gate (-4)).

Ad 4. and 6. Have you seen and tried Tibs' Thematic starting equipment? Surely, it makes the game harder, adds a bit complexity to startup, on the other hand it eliminates Michael the book collector mobster or wrestling Professor. We triedit only once so far, but I really like it!

Ad 5. We always draw two random inv. for each "slot" and have to choose fromthem. Of course there are still some that get played more often than the others, but it gives you incentive to play even the underrated ones. If we are e. g. on vacation and therefore we know we will be playing more than one session, we also retire the used investigators.

Ad. 7. and 8. I think he way he stores work it is not about what is shown on counter, but what you are able to find within a mess of at the current situation useless things. That is why you always draw three new cards. We play it so that you can buy any number of the shown items (with the exception of Magick shoppe spells, where you are still limited to one). Also we often go there with more people and pool the money, so we can look onmore cards (search deeper in the store if you like), while being able to buy both Tommygun and shotgun that show in the first selection. But each investigator has to buy st he has money on. That way "elder-sign-digging" is prevented.

Your versions seems fun although, so we may try it sometime;-)

1. Yes, we play the same way. If you come back, and you choose not to close the gate - you must have an encounter.

2. Knowing too much is something that we try to prevent if we can. So always hidden gates... and a moving gate.. sometimes vs every gate - good trade. I agree.

4 & 6. Looks great. Obvious what he's trying to do, and its worth his effort to try it a few times anyhow. Don't know how I missed it.

7 & 8. Well that is a consequence, no Elder Sign camping, and the deck (far too deep anyhow) moves really slowly.

Looking forward to Tibs' TSE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Volarevic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use one simple variant. Instead of choosing (either by choice or randomly) total of 11 Allies that are to be available in the game I make all Allies available every game.

However, I still abide the 11 Allies limit. If total of 11 Allies are currently in play or removed to the box, than no new Allies may enter the game unless someone discards their Ally, which opens the spot again.

I like having option to buy whatever Ally I want when I decide to use Ma Boarding House, and I like to have an option to actually win an Ally in an encounter instead of having to pick the "if he/she is not available..." option just because that Ally was not put into Ally deck at the beginning of the game.

Makes the game a bit easier, but more than that, makes it more interesting.

EDIT:
Oh, and few more variants... King in Yellow herald is always in play, regardless of any other heralds that may be played as well. When terror track is increased, we always draw Blight card instead of opting to place yellow sign token as doom token. When investigator is knocked unconscious or driven insane, he must always chose to gain injury or madness card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your variant seems to totally negate the negative effect the Terror Track has on Allies. This way, there are always Allies available...

Or do you also remove more Allies each step the Terror Track moves? I use the same variant as a starting point, but during the game, the Allies deck will dwindle if the Terror Track increases, and significantly so. I don't have the total number of Allies at hand, now, but I think I remove 3 per step...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Volarevic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Your variant seems to totally negate the negative effect the Terror Track has on Allies. This way, there are always Allies available...

Or do you also remove more Allies each step the Terror Track moves? I use the same variant as a starting point, but during the game, the Allies deck will dwindle if the Terror Track increases, and significantly so. I don't have the total number of Allies at hand, now, but I think I remove 3 per step...
As I said, I still follow the 11 Ally limit. For example, if total of 3 Allies are following characters and 8 of them are removed to the box as a result of terror track or some other effect, then no more allies can enter the game. If, however, one player discards their Ally at this point, another ally can enter it's place, but after that the limit is reached again, which means no more allies again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I misunderstood. And that is a really interesting way to handle it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

Allies returned to the box when the terror track rises?

Ah, once again I realise I've played 40+ games wrong. I love this game so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that by making the gates unknown until you go through them you strip out an important tactical layer.

This is already a very luck-heavy game and the decisions you make about prioritising the gates and who seals or closes them, and when, add quite a bit of planning depth.

I can understand why people would not want to reveal the gates from a theme perspective, but this is one place where I'll sacrifice thematic richness for depth of gameplay.

A) the symbols - remember the monsters with the gate's symbol get banished when the gate is closed or sealed. This can influence which date you choose to close first. For example if you have two Cthonians messing your investigators up, or some pesky star spawn you'd rather not deal with.

B) the encounters - the different coloured dots represent the types of encounter you are likely to get in that world. If I remember correctly, blue means more sanity loss, red means more health loss, yellow means more item loss and green means generally easier encounters. This can affect who you decide to send into a specific world.

C) the modifier - how difficult it is to seal or close. Again, this affects who you send.

So for example, you want to seal your fourth gate. Do you send someone in to a gate to banish some pesky monsters? But what if the only person strong enough to overcome the modifier only has two health and there is a red dot there? Or do you send someone to the easier gate even though it won't banish any monsters?

I just think it adds a nice element of tactics that I would miss. But that's just my personal opinion. I really like seeing the variants other avid players come up with to customise their experience! There are some really good ideas here too; I especially like how you handle the stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Ward
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocCorvid wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that by making the gates unknown until you go through them you strip out an important tactical layer.

This is already a very luck-heavy game and the decisions you make about prioritising the gates and who seals or closes them, and when, add quite a bit of planning depth.

I can understand why people would not want to reveal the gates from a theme perspective, but this is one place where I'll sacrifice thematic richness for depth of gameplay.

I completely agree here. This is one of the few areas of the game where you really have some strategic choice available. We've won games by choosing to enter a certain gate with a certain character.

DocCorvid wrote:
B) the encounters - the different coloured dots represent the types of encounter you are likely to get in that world. If I remember correctly, blue means more sanity loss, red means more health loss, yellow means more item loss and green means generally easier encounters. This can affect who you decide to send into a specific world.

I've never noticed this, but will be keeping an eye out now. Is this explained anywhere in official documentation, or just something folks have deduced from the encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faelach wrote:
DocCorvid wrote:

[q="DocCorvid"] B) the encounters - the different coloured dots represent the types of encounter you are likely to get in that world. If I remember correctly, blue means more sanity loss, red means more health loss, yellow means more item loss and green means generally easier encounters. This can affect who you decide to send into a specific world.

I've never noticed this, but will be keeping an eye out now. Is this explained anywhere in official documentation, or just something folks have deduced from the encounters?

I'm fairly sure I saw this in official documentation somewhere, but can't remember where and because I'm on my phone at the moment I can't link to any PDFs or FAQs.

Can anyone else help me out here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that those of us who deliberately opt for less information in certain parts know that it impacts the game. Heck, in my group we not only put gates face-down, we also let other players read our encounters and have to make decisions without knowing what the risk/reward situation is!

And we still win quite often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I think that those of us who deliberately opt for less information in certain parts know that it impacts the game. Heck, in my group we not only put gates face-down, we also let other players read our encounters and have to make decisions without knowing what the risk/reward situation is!

We don't let players read their own encounters, too. We very much enjoy that as well. Players make their decisions with imperfect knowledge, but it "feels" better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

Ah, you see, I'm a solo-only player. Never played it WITH anybody so I can't vouch for how effective this is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Ward
United States
Newark
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
Dumon wrote:

We don't let players read their own encounters, too. We very much enjoy that as well. Players make their decisions with imperfect knowledge, but it "feels" better.

My wife and I play this way as well. It really enhances the RPG feel of the game. We don't have a game group that would enable us to play tabletop RPG's, so this game scratches that itch for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.