Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This aspiring hero gives +6 points for each "Vault." Is this just any vault the player wins or the specific vaults (Dwarven Lockbox, etc.) that can be held as items? Also, is it possible the "+6" is typo? Because in one of the posted images, the card is shown to have a "+2."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gauci
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
+6 for each Vault you keep that can be held as items. We confirmed with the team at their booth during Gencon as this came up during the first game we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heuer
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head I recall three vaults that can be kept and each counts as a specific type of item: dwarven, elvish, and dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
This aspiring hero gives +6 points for each "Vault." Is this just any vault the player wins or the specific vaults (Dwarven Lockbox, etc.) that can be held as items? Also, is it possible the "+6" is typo? Because in one of the posted images, the card is shown to have a "+2."

It is not a typo, the bonus is +6 and can only come from the vaults that are able to be kept by the winner (Dwarven Lockbox, Svelte Elven Cabinet and Dragonslayer's Horde).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, make sure that gets added to any FAQ.

It's not clear from the card, we played that it is +6 per vault won (which is obviously WAY overpowered ... and why I came here to check).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaults go to the trash, but 3 of them have special rules that say they may be kept as an X Item.

I'll see what we can do to clarify this going forward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floodgate wrote:
Vaults go to the trash, but 3 of them have special rules that say they may be kept as an X Item.

This is a hugely confusing ability that is making a lot of assumptions. It lead to a LOT of confusion my first game. I said the rule that Vaults get discarded but then the Rogue player shot back, "But wait, I MUST hold onto vaults as my ability gets points for them!" We conceded that that must be the case. It's a logical conclusion to make, he ended up winning 6 vaults and incorrectly kept them all winning the game leaps and bounds ahead of every other player. There is no direct explanation of how this character works, or that his ability only interacts with a few special circumstantial vaults.

I feel like this thread needs to be read by every person before they play the game as it's bound to lead to a lot of initial, broken first plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
This is a hugely confusing ability that is making a lot of assumptions. It lead to a LOT of confusion my first game. I said the rule that Vaults get discarded but then the Rogue player shot back, "But wait, I MUST hold onto vaults as my ability gets points for them!" We conceded that that must be the case. It's a logical conclusion to make, he ended up winning 6 vaults and incorrectly kept them all winning the game leaps and bounds ahead of every other player.

It seems like the first assumption your rogue made was that the rules are incorrect. My game group works the opposite from yours -- we assume that the rules are correct until we find definitive proof otherwise. If the rules say the vaults are discarded, you need to operate from that perspective first.

It also wouldn't make sense to have someone who gets a point or points for every auction they win automatically, as no one else's card is nearly so powerful.

All that said, it probably would be better if the rogue card said something about how SOME vaults have a special ability that lets them be kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I taught the game so I knew that there were only a few vaults that could be kept (as via the text on the card) but I do agree that there may be a better way to convey that. I had a (very small) issue explaining it to a player.

Still, things to consider for v2.0 or an expansion :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:

I taught the game so I knew that there were only a few vaults that could be kept (as via the text on the card) but I do agree that there may be a better way to convey that. I had a (very small) issue explaining it to a player.

Still, things to consider for v2.0 or an expansion :)

Definitely, we'll tweak some things before the next printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Floodgate wrote:

This is a hugely confusing ability that is making a lot of assumptions. It lead to a LOT of confusion my first game. I said the rule that Vaults get discarded but then the Rogue player shot back, "But wait, I MUST hold onto vaults as my ability gets points for them!" We conceded that that must be the case. It's a logical conclusion to make, he ended up winning 6 vaults and incorrectly kept them all winning the game leaps and bounds ahead of every other player. There is no direct explanation of how this character works, or that his ability only interacts with a few special circumstantial vaults.

I feel like this thread needs to be read by every person before they play the game as it's bound to lead to a lot of initial, broken first plays.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely put some helper text on the Rogue going forward.

FWIW, it's step 2 on page 9 of the rule book. Perhaps we could be more consistent with instructions that players are auctioning off the items in the vault, not the vault itself, to reinforce this point (as this is the mechanical intention of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's all cleared up now for me. The thing is, every other game I've ever looked at always says, "These rules are binding unless a card says otherwise." Cards almost always create alterations to existing rules. I knew you could only keep certain vaults, but as soon as a card comes up that says he scores off of vaults, the assumption was made that that person gets to keep all vaults.

It's easily corrected with a little errata text on the card in future printings. To clear up confusion.

Kind of the problem I'm having with the game in general is that it's a very easy concept, but there are quite a few little niggling rules that are easy to overlook and get mixed up, or forget about. I like it, I just wish there weren't so many clarifications and finicky rules that I need to restate every time I teach it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.