Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been working on Pirate Loot Letter, a re-theme/expansion of Love Letter, for over a year and I believe it is ready (And in that time, Munchkin Loot Letter came out and stole half my name arrrh)! It is a Pirate-themed expanded deck of 32 cards for up to eight players, consisting of 18 unique characters (19 if you include the “promo” alternate Rank-7 card).

Here it is...

Pirate Loot Letter: Game components.

First, let me give some props to:

dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb

for his forum Best variants, expansions, extra cards and alternate cards for Love Letter? + compilation of official promo cards from which a lot of my inspiration came. I was able to use some of the ideas presented in that thread, refined them and cleaned them up a bit, and included them in my version.

The Rank-5 through Rank-8 cards, the Alternate Rank-5 through Rank-9 cards, plus the Rank-7 “Promo” card (for those who prefer the Kanai Minister card).

So, how does my version differ from vanilla Love Letter?

--Well, as I said above, there are 18 characters. In two to four-player games, the 16-card deck consists of nine characters: The original eight characters from Love Letter (with a few slight modifications), plus a Rank-0 card: The Musician (to somewhat counteract the Rank-1 Bilge Rats [Guards from the original game]).

In larger games of five to eight-players, you will add in the alternate nine characters, in stages. Five to six-player games use 15 different characters comprising a 24 card deck, while seven to eight-player games use all 18 characters in a 32-card deck.

In seven to eight-player games, you choose whether to use the Alt-Rank-7 Parrot card (you lose if you have it in your hand and *then* draw a Rank-5 or higher card. You may discard it *before* you draw a new card at the beginning of your turn.) Or the "Promo" Rank-7 Purser (same effect as the Kanai Minister: Immediately lose if you have it plus a Rank-5 or higher card in your hand).

The Rank-0 through Rank-4 cards plus Alt-Rank-0 through Alt-Rank-4 cards.

--The premise of the game is that you and your fellow players are lowly swabbies aboard the pirate ship, trying to ascertain the whereabouts of the treasure, by spying on and questioning various members of the crew, after you spied the Captain rowing to shore late one night to bury it. No more love letters to the Princess here in this version.

--The Hidden cards set aside at the beginning of the round are now called Buried Cards. There are two characters (the Alt-Rank-5 Surgeon and the Alt-Rank-2 Stowaway) which allow you to mess with the Buried Cards (bury more cards, and swap your hand with a buried card respectively).

--The boring red cube Tokens of Affection are replaced by cool Gold Doubloon plastic coins.

The double-sided reference cards, gold doubloons, folded rules sheet, and card backs.

--I provide all the necessary text on the cards themselves, negating the need to reference the rule-book for details on the card's powers.

--Instead of a pouch (or cardboard box for some of the other Love Letter versions), I prominently display mine in a clear plastic “Treasure Chest” card box.

The transparent “Treasure Chest” game box.

The Pirate Loot Letter rules fit on one double-sided page, which conveniently folds down to fit in the gamebox. Page one gives you the "Premise" of the game, "Setup" info with a chart for setting up the deck for different numbers of players, a section on how to "Play" the game, and a convenient "How to read 'Pirate'" section to use when reading the cards (they are already easy to translate though).

Page one of the Pirate Loot Letter rules.

The bottom of page one, and all of page two, gives a description of each of the characters followed by the actual card text from the game.

Page two of the rules.

Enjoy!

[Edited to change the size of the images].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Tuti
Italy
Varese
Italia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing! Immediately kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I would love to Kickstart it or at least put it up on GameCrafter (who I used to print the cards). But I made this mainly to play with friends. I don't know if this would be considered different enough to enable me to publish it.

Thoughts, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Tuti
Italy
Varese
Italia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmhhh ...
I do not know well the American market and if the creators of Loveletters want to give copyrights for even a simple re-theme ..
But your version seems like a good idea especially for the setting and more than many things I see published I often re-theme games and yours is "cool"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hemmings
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly discourage trying to make money on someone else's intellectual property (IP). However, posting a link on expanding the game while giving credit and urging people to buy is something I see a lot and I would argue that in the end they are making money. I have 2 copies of regular Love Letter and a third official retheme and I wouldn't have found this game if it wasn't for rethemes and the buzz surrounding them. Personally I would love to print your idea and if the Love Letter people made it official I would buy that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, and I would like to get it / be part of it.
so, what next, a PnP? or lobbying the game designers as they seem very open to new themes and expansions.

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.