Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Games too long?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Castle
Delaware
flag msg tools
The boardgamegeek page says the game takes 45 minutes. Both times we played it took us 2 hours to get to the second objective, and I think our first game finished at the four hour mark. What are we doing wrong! The first time we payed with 3, and the second time we played with 4 and died during objective 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you weren't horribly murdered? ;) 45 minutes does seem a bit low. I'd go for 60. We've played it about 10 times now, and average just over 60 minutes, that's including setup, though. The games you win will of course be a lot longer than those where you didn't even get to your second objective. Also your first games (while still learning rules and cards) will be a lot longer than your following games. Two hours does seem VERY long, though. Our very first game, which included a lot of rules look-ups and reading of cards, with five players, took 90 minutes before we died (A1, just barely got to third objective). So you're probably not doing anything wrong, per se, but with experience (mostly not having to reread every single card when you want to "buy" a new one) the game time will decrease drastically.

Tip: You ARE allowed (and encouraged) to plan your turn ahead! ;) Of course things might change just before it gets to you, but you should still have some idea of what you want to do with your cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the encounter deck is finite is its about 8 cards per objective ish? i've not the encounter deck construction rules to hand..

i wonder did you shuffle the encounter stack after set up and thus lose key encounter cards to the bottom of the stack? (i did that once so annoying)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree 60-75 minutes is a typical game for us. We occasionally make it to 90 but rarely past that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
With four of us and discussion we are usually closer to two hours than one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically play with three players, and 2-3 hours is average for us. Our first game was more than 3 hours certainly, but it's been declining each time since then. We were just about at the 2-hour mark in our most recent game. We just talk a lot about strategy when we play. People who don't talk play faster, I guess.

I created a poll a while back on how long it takes to play. You might want to check it out and vote and read the discussion that ensued:
Is anyone actually able to play this with multiple players in 45 minutes? [POLL]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. J. Thompson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Milarky wrote:
i wonder did you shuffle the encounter stack after set up and thus lose key encounter cards to the bottom of the stack? (i did that once so annoying)

Oh man, I hadn't considered the possibility of somebody doing this. That would make for a frustrating game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Blakley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Are we counting set up and tear down here because your guys' times are sounding a little high. 2 hours MAX not counting set up or tear down. There are only so many turns until you drain the deck, and by then you should be REAL close to being done since all of your objectives are, by pure technicality, in the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zetaspawn wrote:
Are we counting set up and tear down here because your guys' times are sounding a little high.

I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.