Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Snap players turn over cards and when two cards match, they each race to shout "Snap!"

There have been many "themed" versions of Snap, but I wondered if any other games have used this central idea in more inventive ways.

This thought was provoked after discovering Anomia and Snorta!.

In Anomia, when there is a matching pair of symbols players must race to say a word within the category written on one of the matching cards.

In Snorta!, when there is a matching pair of cards, players must race to make the animal noise of the opposing player (decided at the start of the game).

Can anyone think of other similar "Snap!" games?

(PS: I'm aware of other speed games like Pick-a-Dog, Ghost Blitz, Jungle Speed etc. I'm really looking specifically for games where something happens when two matching pictures are revealed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moustache Smash Does this count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dobble (or Spot it) any two cards have 1 matching symbol as well as many non-matching ones, the challenge is to identify which one is the match before your opponents identify which one matches their card (and then, upon identifying the match, depending on which game you're playing you either get to take the card or hand in a card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halli Galli (it is about being the fastest though)
SET
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed has this, but you don't say snap, you need to grab a totem pole (which can result in physical injury). There have been several versions of Jungle Speed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good examples - thanks. Any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Halli Galli (it is about being the fastest though)

If it must be about two matching pictures, Halli Galli Junior is the one to pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Shelley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick-a-Dog

Snap with a twist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Wright
United Kingdom
Cannock
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Steam Park has a mechanic where everyone rolls their dice and when they've rolled the combination they grab the lowest position token from the centre. While you're not matching anything, it does mean you often end up grabbing for the same token at the same time (the rules suggest a one armed pushup contest as a tiebreaker if both grab at the same time).

Apart from that, I'd +1 for Dobble. A few mini-games there, some of which involve the "snap" aspect, but all of which involve matching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of completeness, I'm going to add to my own thread!

In Unnamed Object, Port Royal, and Dead Man's Draw if cards match, players take some sort of forfeit, hence there is a push your luck aspect to these games as players turn over more and more cards attempting not to match cards. They differ from Snap in that there is no speed element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Radcliffe
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was for Dobble, but as that's already been posted, how about Loonacy? Players have to match a symbol on one of their cards, with one on one of three cards on the table. Great frantic fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Karate Fight, when someone plays a certain combination of cards [known as a Hit] or a one-off card called Strike, the players must attempt to slam their hand onto the pile of cards, while yelling "hit!"
Whoever does so first gets to keep the cards.
As far as I'm aware, this game is unique in that players who are otherwise out of the game [holding no cards] can still pay attention & win a Hit, meaning they are back in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.