Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Cloutier
Canada
saint-georges
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife…My wife is not only my true love, she’s also a backstabbing lying strategical b..ch when she plays board games with me and that is exactly the reason why she’s my best gaming partner. I love gaming with her, it’s always a challenge and never boring. We are at each others throats at moments and other time we might be kissing and celebrating a shared victory. I play most of my game with her. She loves filler and mid complex games specially worker placements. As for me, I’m more of a mid to heavy card gamer. But we both agree on what is a good game and what is a bad one.

So this make’s it obvious that a board or card game must be enjoyable at a player count of 2 for me to even consider adding it to my collection.

So let me talk to you about 2 great 2 players only games : Jaipur and Patchwork

Those games are both on my shelves for the simple reason that they are fun, easy and nonetheless quite strategical little games. They both can be played in about 30 min. Great fillers.

JAIPUR is a card management and set collecting game that lets us trade different goods (cards) or camels (cards) to earn the privilege of being invited to the Maharaja’s court. To win the game you need to be the best trader 2 out of 3 games. To do so you’ll be doing one of these 2 actions in each of your turns, either trading/buying goods or selling them. It is a fast-paced card game, a blend of tactics, risk and luck.

My appreciation : 8/10

My wife’s : 8/10

PATCHWORK is a quick tile drafting and tile placement game in which you and a other player compete to build the most aesthetic (and high-scoring) patchwork quilt on a personal 9x9 game board. In this game you’ll have to purchase tiles (cloth patches) from a common pool and place them in a TETRIS kind of way on your quilt. Each time you place a cloth patch on a quilt, it brings new patches to choose from and you earn the number of buttons printed on the patch. Those buttons are counted at the end of the game and the player with the most is the winner.

Game moment example : Your eyes are on the high scoring patch, yes the blue one that’s worth big time and you can get it next turn but wait, at the same time you know the shape of this tile is unusual and you’ll probably wont be able to fit it in! What do I do! I can not let my wife take it, hell with it, I’m taking it! Fuck!!! My quilt design got screwed with this one and my wife is laughing knowing she tricked me and that she’s probably gonna win. I HATE HER…….AND THAT IS WHY I LOVE HER!!

My appreciation : 7/10

My wife’s : 7/10

Ticlou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know this is kinda sweet

Nice quick review tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Jaipur for the purpose of playing with my girlfriend and we love playing it together as well. It is a deceptively strategic game with a bit of luck involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend just got Krosmaster Arena, her first foray into a more tactical skirmish game. She is already locking my dudes down from summoning and picking me off. Its a little scary how quick she picked it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Malone
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, there's something in my eye.....

But about the games. I love Jaipur, great review. Have only played Patchwork twice, and both times with a really nice person, so I haven't played an uber-competitive, angst-ridden round of it like you described, but I see the potential. Hope to own both games one day soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Nice writeup.

My wife and I play games almost every evening, and last night we had a special moment...

Playing Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (Skull and Shackles), late into Adventure #5, very difficult scenario. We come across a very unique and interesting spell that would a be likely candidate for inclusion in her Sorceress deck going forward:

Me: What are your odds of getting that?

Her: I get a D12 + 5 for a 12. So, about 50/50 - can you help?

Me: I have a pretty good blessing here that would add another D12 to your check, but I really wanted to hold it in case I run into a Henchman next round.

Her: Fine, Ok. (rolls): I rolled a 5. NO SPELL FOR ME. GRUMBLE.

Sometime in the next ... oh, say... one turn, I draw a GREAT Polearm which would be a significant upgrade for my Gnome Fighter, so I add up my odds.

Me: I have D8 + 7 for this to get a 13. I'll add a blessing to make it 2d8.

Her: You're going to add your blessing? I thought you were saving that for a Henchman?

Me: Or a kick-ass Polearm.

Her: F*** you. I want a divorce.

[end scene]

Plot summary: I win Polearm, but lose at life. Always use your blessings to help the wife, kids. Especially when she's 5 months pregnant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April Olin
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
My girlfriend just got Krosmaster Arena, her first foray into a more tactical skirmish game. She is already locking my dudes down from summoning and picking me off. Its a little scary how quick she picked it up.

Muahahahahaha!ninja

My tofus will surround you with a wall of knee high feathers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Steadman
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Jaipur all of the time. I will have to give Patchwork a second look. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up! Thanks for sharing this! (...and I'm envious at the same time, as I have a VERY non-gamer spouse...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darci S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Asmodii wrote:
My wife and I play Jaipur all of the time. I will have to give Patchwork a second look. Thanks!

Patchwork is a great two-player game that has much more conflict and strategy than it initially appears to. My husband is very competitive, and I can be at times (especially when playing against him), so our games get pretty cutthroat.

I'll have to take a look at Jaipur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a nice story! My wife and I are solid gamers. We love all the same stuff (for the most part- she won't play heroclix). I got her hooked on Munchkin too. But she's my greatest cheerleader for my designing.

We play well together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.