Heroes of Normandie» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Squad Points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nando The Rebel
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I got this game about a month ago. Read the rules a couple of times but I still haven't been able to play it because I simply don't understand the rules...

Don't get me wrong here, I have played Tide of Iron (supposedly more complex) and other games like: Game of thrones, Civilization, Bora Bora and other fairly more complex games but this one.. oh man... I cannot get my head around that rulebook.

So, enough with the rant

Could someone please explain how does the squad building works? The rulebook mention points that can be spent when building the squad... some points should be saved for latter one... but for what? How many points for building the squad each player has? Do we decide? It is standard? Is it variable in each scenario? I just don't get it...

I understand all the other rules.. movement, attack, card play, events and etc. But I can't even build my squad to start...

Thanks a lot for the help guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Nando

You don't want to spend all your points on recruitment tiles, you need some points left over to fill the blanks in the tiles with recruitment options. If you refer to the picture at the bottom of page 5 of the rules (version 1.2b) you will see that the Rifle Platoon tile has a points cost of 70 but this will give you only 4 counters. In order to fill out the platoon you will need to spend extra points purchasing recruitment options which go into the empty slots on the tile. In the example 50 points for an M5 Stuart and 50 points for a .30 cal squad (the other M5 isn't a valid choice) this gives you a vehicle counter and 3 more infantry counters to add to the 4 that the tile gives you. Bear in mind that the scenarios in the scenario book have pre determined sides, you only need to worry about squad points if you are building your own sides for a custom scenario, the scenario book shows the number of army points you should use to build your army when playing a custom scenario.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several points Nando.

1. The scenarios that are provided with the base game already have pre-generated forces so you will not use the point system with those.

2. The last few pages of the rulebook set out the system to purchase forces for scenarios you design with your opponent.

3. The point system has two main features:

A. Recrutiment Tiles: These are the large frames representing platoons that have slots where recruitment Options can be placed. They have a set of units that always come with that tile pictured on the center of the tile along with the point value for just those units.
B. Recruitment Options: These are the smaller counters that have point values and color codes on each side.

The rules are telling you to not spend all of your points buying recruitment tiles, that you should save some points to purchase recruitment options to place in the tiles to enhance the quality of that platoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a 3rd recruitment option, namely the heroes which have their own tile and are seperate from the platoon recruitment tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, if you have not played the game, DON'T use the points system to begin! Instead, play the included scenarios with pre-generated squads and options.
1. They show you which "Recruitment Tiles" to use (the long, rectangular tiles with empty slots).
2. In the center of that tile is a picture of the foundational units you will use. Pull those out of the box and place them in the deployment area.
3. Find the additional options tiles shown in the 'slots' on the recruitment tile. Place them in the recruitment tile in the appropriate slots.
4. Find the units that match the options tiles above - they will also be placed on the board in the deployment area.
5. Now deploy the foundational units and the optional units in the deployment zone. You are now ready to begin.

After playing through these 10 scenarios, you will be in a better position to construct your own squares using the points system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex Gator had some great information, but I must correct one statement.
rexgator wrote:

2. The last few pages of the rulebook set out the system to purchase forces for scenarios you design with your opponent.

The last few pages of the rules are mostly about the equipment, command orders, and special abilities, not the build-your-own scenario rules. Those rules are in the last few pages of the Scenario book.

Oh and one addition to another point.
rexgator wrote:

B. Recruitment Options: These are the smaller counters that have point values and color codes on each side.

Those options have to fit into the slots in the Recruitment tile. If you do not have a small slot available, you may not purchase another small Option for that unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are in the Scenario book, starting on p. 14 of v1.1b of the Scenario book.

You and your opponent decide on a point total for each side. That will factor in to other things like the Size of the Battlefield or the number of objectives.

The table will even give you a rough estimate of the time to play, however, that is an average for each range and does not take into account factors such as the experience level of the players.

As a good starting point, I would suggest 250pts a side, using 4 tiles (game boards) and 1 neutral objective in the middle of the boards. 250 points gives you a good mix but keeps the game within a reasonable time period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:
Rex Gator had some great information, but I must correct one statement.
rexgator wrote:

The last few pages of the rules are mostly about the equipment, command orders, and special abilities, not the build-your-own scenario rules. Those rules are in the last few pages of the Scenario book.

*Rex hanging his head in shame*

modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys

I am back from holidays and ready to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.