Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently there where demo games of this at Gen Con on the Wyrd stand, did anyone manage to get a game in? If so what are your thoughts?

I'm a bit of a Kevin Wilson fan and love the theme of Malifaux so I was hoping to hear a bit more buzz about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoffelmadenga wrote:
Apparently there where demo games of this at Gen Con on the Wyrd stand, did anyone manage to get a game in? If so what are your thoughts?

I'm a bit of a Kevin Wilson fan and love the theme of Malifaux so I was hoping to hear a bit more buzz about the game.

I saw it for sale, but demos were not being done in the exhibit hall. I am also very interested but there is like 0 buzz around this one. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
There were demos running all 4 days at the Wyrd booth, actually. They took place across the aisle from where the copies of the game were on display, next to that little building.

As for lack of buzz, Wyrd is primarily a miniatures company. So far, a lot of their promotion of the game has been through their usual channels. Episode 12 of SMP Radio (http://smpradio.podbean.com/) had a segment on the game about 43 minutes into the episode, for instance.

I expect things will pick up as the game starts to turn up in retail stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a demo at Gencon and brought a copy home.

So far, I think the creation myth theme is executed remarkably well. The components are great, and the box tray is perfect and wastes zero space. It does use the tried and tired co-op mechanics of "challenge X requires a roll of Y or higher/challenge X requires Y symbols to complete" but the flavor of it all is really immersive and refreshing, and it naturally drives players to support each other. The board is brutal, with numerous threats that constantly demand attention. There's a very fun twist at the end where everyone has to vote on 1 player to be their chosen warrior to chase after and complete the final goal, while simultaneously everyone else must protect the world at large, with their individual victories propelling the chosen warrior further. But if the chosen warrior dies, the game is lost for everyone. It feels like there's meaningful synergy between players, but at the same time nothing to counter alpha gamer behavior.

I know these are all very incomplete thoughts, but I'm very excited to play a full game and can post more developed thoughts then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game. My only complaints are that the insert does not hold sleeved cards, the small cards are of a unique size and very hard to find sleeves for...and, and this really sucks, the stands are too small for the standups and have little teeth in them that destroy the game pieces. I ended up marring a few before I took an exacto to the stands and cut the teeth out. Also decided not to even bother with trying to swap in and out pieces when the character dies and becomes a spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
...and, and this really sucks, the stands are too small for the standups and have little teeth in them that destroy the game pieces.

I played my first full game last night—as soon as it was over I discovered this as well. It's a real shame, as the insert and components are excellent in general, but those stands just tear into the player tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played it at Gen Con. I really liked it, and found that I couldn't remember the name when I was telling people about it. All I could say was that it was something about a rattle. I just wish we had enough time to actually finish the game.

I was going to buy it there, but found I could pre-order it for $41. $41<$65
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of a long shot but does anyone know if this will be at Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Henry
msg tools
mbmbmb
Did not get to play it but I bought it. Having some difficulty getting started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jobi Wan
msg tools
mbmb
Wahoffelmadenga wrote:
It's a bit of a long shot but does anyone know if this will be at Essen?

Anyone who has info on this? I am interested as well ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quick question for those who have played...do Challenge Cards with the Corruption icon spawn corruption tokens in the same manner as the Dark die?

If so, do you place the token when the challenge card first enters play (face down) or once flipped. Seems like they intended it to be when it enters play since the card's back is differentiated. I just can't find any specific reference in the rulebook.

Thanks in advance.

Zak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bray
msg tools
I've only played once however I was under the impression that the corrupted cards (with the eye icon) do not cause corruption tokens to be placed when they are put into play, rather they were triggered like shadows when the dark die rolls the eye icon. This is why the symbol is also on the card back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmm...so the rules for the Dark Die say:

Eye: One Corruption token is placed in any
space in the Region of the Character that
rolled this Die. If the character is not in a
Region, there is no effect.

I read this to me that Corruption is placed on any of three spaces, regardless of whether or not a challenge card was present with the eye symbol. The only time the last sentence would apply would if the character is in the village or the Darkness. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaxandlogan wrote:
Quick question for those who have played...do Challenge Cards with the Corruption icon spawn corruption tokens in the same manner as the Dark die?

If so, do you place the token when the challenge card first enters play (face down) or once flipped. Seems like they intended it to be when it enters play since the card's back is differentiated. I just can't find any specific reference in the rulebook.

Thanks in advance.

Zak

According to the rules, page 12:
Shadow: One Corruption token is added to each space adjacent to a Shadow Card. Then, add one Corruption token to each space containing a Corrupted Challenge (Corrupted Challenges have the eyes of Darkness in their upper corners), whether face up or facedown. The Village can never
receive Corruption tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ah-ha! There it is...thank you! You have no idea how many times I looked at that page but my eyes would always gravitate to the section below with the eye symbol. Funny how the mind works some of the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. Obviously, the Shadow didn't want you to see that part of the rules . . .

I'm sure I'll have many of those moments later. I'm playing it for the first "real" time tonight. I keep re-reading the rules, but I would absorb it better if I could set up and play a little. Unfortunately, they would probably frown at that while working. (Not to mention all the strange looks I would get.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hoping to play our first game tonight too. Honestly, that was the only part of the rules that felt unclear. Ready to go!

I have heard the game provides a good challenge, and I can see that based on the simple fact that you must face a challenge (or roll the Dark Die if no challenge in your current space.) Seems like the problems will ramp quickly (like Ghost Stories.)

Excited to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Played first couple of turns...was slow since I have to introduce "concepts" to my 11 and 8 year old. But plays well...

I only have one residual question and it is regarding movement.

So, for one action you can move one "Space". I believe spaces are: merchant spots, village, the three areas inside each of the four regions, and each space along the Darkness track.

My question is in regards to movement from the village to a region (and back), and from a region to a merchant. If moving from the village can you go directly to any of three spaces or just the middle? The bridge from the village is oriented above the middle of the three spaces...but it connects with the region outline. Given the number of actions you have I think the fact that the bridge connects to the region outline it implies that you can move to any space inside the region. However, moving from space to space within the region takes a move/action.

Same concept would apply to movement from a region to a merchant.

They define spaces/regions well in the rulebook, but the section on movement does not cover this. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaxandlogan wrote:
My question is in regards to movement from the village to a region (and back), and from a region to a merchant. If moving from the village can you go directly to any of three spaces or just the middle? The bridge from the village is oriented above the middle of the three spaces...but it connects with the region outline. Given the number of actions you have I think the fact that the bridge connects to the region outline it implies that you can move to any space inside the region. However, moving from space to space within the region takes a move/action.

I played it as the bridge only connects the center region spaces to the village, and the side spaces to the merchants. I didn't even consider it the way you're asking about. But now, I see what you mean. I'm pretty sure at Gencon, we played it as the bridge goes to the center space. But not 100% sure - I've slept since then.

I had a question about the East Wind. If on a player's turn, there are two separate instances to add corruption - from a challenge, and then the dark die - would you adjust each instance by the Wind's modifier? Or does it just mean that the player places 2 corruption and adjusts it once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmm...regarding movement, it just feels like you will have to burn a ton of action points just moving. Though, since you played the game did you feel like that was a problem?

Regarding East Wind, I would say that any game mechanism that causes corruption would suffer the effect. Thus +1 to each pull from the bag. Since the Winds' powers only effect what is going on their region, that is painful but not overwhelming. I think a steady flow of corruption and the players best efforts to manage it is key...given that it is the primary mechanism for spawning Shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Got a full game in last night with my work group...well almost...we used the shortened end game mechanic (unfortunate because the end game seems fascinating to me.)

Big hit. Very easy to roll right into mechanically with. Once the game gets rolling you really get a sense of the Darkness creeping across the land (with the way Corruption spreads and Shadows come into play.)

I'm still lost on the proper ruling for movement. We played my interpretation (that you can move from the village to any space in a region and from any space in a region to the village or one of the adjacent merchants. It "felt" good in terms of doing stuff...but we also did very well which now makes me think that is wrong...i.e. we had too many actions to purify and scout.

Would love to hear if anyone else has played and how it went...

Otherwise...excellent cooperative game, and even though we did not play perhaps the best part I can see how fantastic the end game mechanic would be and the tension it would inject at the moment one player enters the Darkness.

I'll post a full review soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
I got a staff response from Wyrd's forums. They confirmed Kim's interpretation is correct...will make the game more challenging...which is not a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.