GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,800 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: How to Repair Surface of Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received a deck of cards that came with two of the cards fused together. Having seen this before (usually it's just the edges or surfacing that causes it, I carefully flexed the cards back and forth which made that cracking sound of them separating. I got them mostly apart but there was still two spots sticking together that would not dislodge. I ended up having to just pull them apart in the end. Now I have two lines of exposed card stock core. It looks like something had pressed on the top of the deck while the ink was still warm, causing the ink on the top two cards to fuse together. I can see the grooves of whatever it was.

This is already a replacement for another deck that was cut incorrectly and I already sought a replacement of the replacement to no avail. So I wanted to get some thoughts on how I might repair the cards to get the rough paper surface visually blended in and smoothed so that it doesn't get caught while shuffling and make it worse.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Frisk
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would card sleeves work? I'd still pursue another replacement. Show them pictures of their crappy QA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I cannot sleeve these cards. The deck is a tarot deck... my gaming obsession has me seeing the games in everything

For a tarot deck, you're supposed to have contact with the cards and they can be (and in some cases should be) inverted/upside down in the deck. Sleeves would make shuffling troublesome and would show where the upside down cards are which isn't something one is supposed to know.

I did send them a picture and asked them about it. They said either use a card from the original deck (which is a totally different card stock, cut, and finish) or to consider it an omen. A scar that makes this deck unique and interesting.

Considering their free replacement also had an issue, I'm not sure getting another replacement would result in much. It's only 2 cards, one of which is not actually used in the deck. So I don't really want to go through the hassle of fighting for a new replacement for 1 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal C
msg tools
Its not an omen its a replacement or a refund. You will find it to be a bitch to shuffle evenly and other cards will catch on the spot. If condition is no issue you can use a little piece of sandpaper to smooth the spot out very gently, but it is going to damage the image around the spot a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Nemo wrote:
Its not an omen its a replacement or a refund. You will find it to be a bitch to shuffle evenly and other cards will catch on the spot. If condition is no issue you can use a little piece of sandpaper to smooth the spot out very gently, but it is going to damage the image around the spot a little.

Agreed and thank you for your suggestion.

Just for the reference of others on what I tried: First, I tried smoothing it down like you said with a nail buffer (much finer grain sandpaper). It still was pretty rough there so I tried covering the torn parts with clear nail polish. The nail polish did not work that great. It did not want to go on smoothly and stuck out a bit. Plus I was concerned that it might stick if the cards were stored in a warmer environment.

In the end, I decided to try buying a new set ($12 isn't too much a cost to eat anyway) and it came in in perfect condition. Third time's the charm I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:

I did send them a picture and asked them about it. They said either use a card from the original deck (which is a totally different card stock, cut, and finish) or to consider it an omen. A scar that makes this deck unique and interesting.

Wow. They actually said that? I'm going to start telling people that on my digital projects. I'm sorry our software crashed. It's an omen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW: Who is "they"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually... an omen or something to make the deck unique is the appropriate response for a TAROT deck... it has to do with the energy and such of the deck... TAROT decks are sort of... alive... so you don't "fix" a card.. it is what it is.

... in fact, in the old days, you weren't supposed to buy your own deck. You were supposed to appropriate one in another way... steal or have it given to you.

One book addressed some TAROT myths such as wrapping your cards in silk, or having to be given (or steal) your Tarot deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
BTW: Who is "they"?

Lo Scarabeo, one of the most well known tarot card producers in the industry.

Eat2surf wrote:
Actually... an omen or something to make the deck unique is the appropriate response for a TAROT deck... it has to do with the energy and such of the deck... TAROT decks are sort of... alive... so you don't "fix" a card.. it is what it is.

... in fact, in the old days, you weren't supposed to buy your own deck. You were supposed to appropriate one in another way... steal or have it given to you.

One book addressed some TAROT myths such as wrapping your cards in silk, or having to be given (or steal) your Tarot deck.

Yep, hence why I didn't bother to argue. But I was curious on how I could make repairs. If I cut myself for example, I'm not going to just ignore it. I'm likely to bandage it at the very least. If not, the damage could get worse. I was trying to give my deck the same consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.