United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks at Stone Circle Games are excited to bring the MOBA experience to the tabletop with

For over three years, we've been working to translate the gameplay of video games like League of Legends, DotA 2, and Heroes of the Storm into board game form. The game has gone through a few different incarnations, but we've finally got mechanics and a theme that work well together. We're moving into the blind playtesting phase and are excited to hear your feedback. Update: We've contracted the incredibly talented Fábio Fontes to do the art, and we're blown away by his work so far.

THE GAME: Battle for Biternia is a two-player game between teams of Heroes. Your goal is to destroy your opponent's elemental crystal, called a Bit, before they can destroy yours. Your Heroes can become stronger by gaining levels, giving them access to powerful unique abilities. Defeated heroes will respawn, but this damages their crystal. The first player to destroy their opponent's Bit is the winner!

After briefly trying out a couple of other core mechanics, I settled on a deckbuilding card game with simultaneous action selection. The cards represent attacks and abilities that the Heroes can execute.

Power cards for Kerrick, the Wizard.

The Heroes move around on a map, trying to get into the best position, advancing on your opponent's Bit or defending yours.

Every turn breaks down into four steps:

1. Orders: Both players simultaneously assign a card from their hand to each of their Heroes, face-down. This can either be a "Basic Attack" card, which anyone can use, or one of the Hero's unique powers.

2. Movement: Players alternate moving their Heroes, one at a time. Any MOBA fan knows that positioning is crucial, so this can be a particularly tense step.

3. Action: Players put their plans into action! The first player chooses one of their Heroes, reveals their card, and applies its effects (usually one or more Attacks). The opponent reveals one of their cards, and the players alternate until every Hero has activated (or been defeated).

4. Cleanup: Players can level their Heroes up to gain new powers by spending gold (earned by defeating enemies or "farming" the lanes). They also refill their hand of cards to prepare for the next turn and pass the first player marker.

Playtesting Battle for Biternia at GenCon 2015

We went through a lot of changes to get as much of the MOBA feel as possible into the game without it becoming too complicated or too long. Here's how we tackled some of the key elements of the genre:

Fog of War: Surprise is a huge part of most video game MOBAs, and some of the most intense and satisfying moments come from pulling off a perfectly-timed gank on an unsuspecting enemy. As any hidden movement game player can attest, it's really hard to do effective fog of war in a board game. Instead of attempting hidden movement, I decided to use hidden orders. You can see where your opponent's Heroes are, but not what they're going to do. That makes it immensely satisfying to set up a perfect combo of attacks and annihilate a hapless enemy Hero. Also, you place your orders before you move, so you still have to anticipate where your opponent will go.

Character Progression: To me, a MOBA is almost like a tiny MMO condensed into a single half-hour session. Your character starts off weak and gradually grows in power until they become a (hopefully) unstoppable force. Character leveling has been in the game since the beginning, though in several different forms. Ultimately, it's what made me choose the deckbuilding model. Every Hero has a stack of four Power Cards - three regular powers and one Ultimate. You start the game with one power from each of your Heroes in your hand, the power they each get for level 1. As the game goes on, you can level up your Heroes by spending gold, allowing you to add more of their Power Cards to your hand (which cycle through your deck once you use them). Once a Hero reaches level 4, they gain access to their Ultimate power. Heroes also get a bonus to their hit points equal to their level. I wanted to go really simple and intuitive here so the players could focus on the meat of the game. Levels have escalating gold costs, as well, so it's really an investment to push a Hero to level 4. And speaking of gold...

Minions and Farming: Early on in development, I decided that minions were more trouble than they were worth. I also cut experience and used gold as the sole currency of the game. Since Battle for Biternia is so focused on the Heroes, having minions in play would detract from the characters and add a lot of bookkeeping to the end of every turn. However, "farming" - killing minions to earn gold - is a crucial part of MOBA strategy. In most MOBAs, players have to move out of their comfort zone to farm effectively, leaving them vulnerable to enemy attack. I replicated this with the "Mining" action in Battle for Biternia. Any Hero can "Mine" instead of using the normal effect of their order card, discarding the card immediately after it is revealed. This earns one gold for the team, but it leaves the Hero without the benefit of their card's defense bonus. Mining at the wrong time can be a deadly mistake! I also wanted to encourage players to fight over the middle spaces on the board, since those are typically prime farming areas in video game MOBAs. I did this by putting a limited supply of "bonus gold" in each space. Anytime a Hero mines in one of those spaces, they get some of the bonus gold if any is left. Finally, I decided to use team gold instead of tying it to individual Heroes. This reduces the number of tokens stacked on a Hero card (they already have damage tokens and possibly tokens from the effects of powers), and it adds the strategic decision of who to level up.

Cooldowns and Respawning: This is one of my favorite mechanisms of the entire game. It didn't take long to realize that having players track cooldowns for their various powers was not going to be fun. The same situation came up with Hero death and respawning. The solution? The deckbuilding model strikes again! Whenever a Hero uses a card, their previous card goes to the discard pile. Likewise, when a Hero dies, their Hero Card goes to the discard pile. When it would be drawn again, they return to the battle. This works like any other deckbuilding game would - when you run out of deck, the discard pile becomes the deck - but there's one catch. You never shuffle the deck. That means that if you use a power or lose a Hero, there's a set amount of time before they come back. On top of that, the more cards you have in your deck, added by leveling up your Heroes, the longer your cooldowns get, adding an organic catch-up mechanism. As icing on the metaphorical cake, it cuts out the repetitive shuffling that plagues most deckbuilders.

That's all for now, but if you want to know how we incorporated another MOBA element, please ask. We'd love to share.

We're also looking for playtesters! If Battle for Biternia sounds like fun to you, take a look below.

***Playtesting Files***

If you're interested in playtesting, please download these two files and follow the instructions in the Print and Play Document. We can't wait to hear what you have to say, and to share Battle for Biternia with you.

Once you have completed a playtest session, we ask that you submit your results in the Google form HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Tabletop MOBA with a Retro Video Game RPG Feel
Here's one of the characters - Silver, the Archer - with his unique power cards. The gold-bordered one is his ultimate power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric White
United States
Clarkston
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome. Looking forward to more info about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McArthur
msg tools
I love old style games, I threw the link over to a few of my gaming group and we would love to play test the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds great! We're assembling a print & play file for testing, and I'll let you know when we've got it posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
4 of the 12 classes you will be able to choose from to make your team.

*Prototype & Placeholder Artwork*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated rules have been posted. Changes made will speed up the game and improve balance. I'll post a more detailed list of changes shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you guys a quick update on where we're at with B4B.

Playtesting - First, Thank you to those who have taken the time to read the rules, put together the P&P, and send us your feedback. Things are coming along quite well, as Chris mentioned we've made a few changes that focused on game time and character balance. I'll let him explain all of the individual changes.

Artwork - We are extremely thrilled to be working with Fábio Fontes to produce the art for B4B. Stay tuned to watch the artwork come together!

Upcoming Events - Interested in coming out to meet some of the members of SCG and play Battle For Biternia? If you're in the Washington, DC or Chapel Hill, NC area and would like to try out B4B let us know and we'll get something setup.

14 Nov 15 - Unpub Mini - Richmond, Virginia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a summary of all of the changes from the first version we uploaded in this thread until now. I'm uploading updated files that will reflect the recent changes. We've found a lot of little things to change that have improved the game drastically since we started the thread, and I'm excited to share them with you.

Core Rules:

-Maximum hand size is increased to 8.

-Towers now deal 5 damage to their controller's Bit when destroyed.

-Defeated Heroes may respawn at any standing, friendly Tower or Bit.

-At the beginning of the Cleanup phase, each player gains 2 gold.

-Movement rules changed slightly. See rulebook for details.

Heroes

-Archer rework: Trait and some powers changed to reduce the consistency of the Archer's kiting game.

-Bard Rework: The Bard's kit just didn't feel... well.. "bardy" enough. Changed his trait and a one of his powers to focus him more as a buff/support character.

-Priest Rework: The Priest has been Renamed the Cleric. Removed Luminaire, since it was rarely used, and separated Bless into two powers: an attack buff and a targeted heal.

-Hunter's Dispatch nerfed on damage and defense.

-Kerrick the Wizard's passive was changed. It's been tough to nail down a passive that isn't overpowered or underpowered for Kerrick. This new one has been really useful so far.

-Monk's Nirvana's wording changed, Monk's Suplex's wording changed.

-Ceralin the Fighter's Triumph buffed - Attacks increased from 4 to 5.

-Hunter's Bear Trap wording changed.

-Cyrus the Paladin now has no trait. His old trait was often forgotten by players, and his powers are significantly stronger than many of his competitors. The lack of a functional trait balances him in this regard.

-Dazeem the Ice Mage's Freeze now only adds one additional Chill token. Freeze had been making the Ice Mage really difficult to deal with. Now it's still a threat, but not so devastating. Blizzard's defense increased to compensate.

If you have any questions about specific changes, please let me know and I can elaborate on our thought process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
Fabio has completed our logo for Battle For Biternia and it is quite stunning! Can't wait to see what he does with the rest of the artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
Here is a look at the game board for Battle for Biternia. The map layout allows for dynamic movement and positioning as you are trying to outwit your opponent. Do you rush right up the middle or try to outflank them on the edges?

The top and bottom of the board will have the elemental crystals that you are trying to capture from your opponent. The three spaces connected to your crystal, indicated by the tower ruins, will have defensive towers to help fend off the enemy. Each of these spaces has associated stand-ups for those game elements.

When you choose to use one of your Hero's turns to mine instead of attack or use an ability you will receive a gold. When you do this at the spaces in the center of the map, represented with the gold coins, you will receive an additional gold. The extra gold in each space is limited so get there quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge update to the main post - give it a read.

More to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We got the chance to take the new artwork and updated rules out for a spin at UnPub last weekend. Heck of a good time!

Thanks again to everyone who came out to Battlefields and gave us your input!

For those that have a minute to give the revised cards and rules a look, let us know what you think! The Fighter and Archer, in particular, have been revamped for added fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fábio Fontes just finished another amazing piece of art. Here's the cover illustration for Battle for Biternia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've gotten some more card art in from the always impressive Fábio Fontes, so it's time to introduce you to some of the Heroes in Battle for Biternia. In these posts, I'm going to talk about a Hero, their role in the game, and the challenges I faced in designing and balancing them.

Let's start with

Ceralin, the Fighter

Ceralin is a pure tank. She doesn't deal tons of damage, but she's very hard to kill. With some of the strongest defenses in the game, she's a powerful early draft pick when choosing your team. Put her in a lane with a high-damage character like the Assassin or with a support like the Cleric, and you've got a tough combo to beat.

Every Hero has a Hero Card that displays their Name, Class, Base Hit Points, and their unique Trait. Ceralin's Base HP of 10 is higher than most, but her Trait is what truly gives her the defensive edge. It grants her a +1 bonus to Defense against all Physical attacks. All of the attacks on Basic Cards are Physical. Any Hero can use Basic Cards, while only about half have access to Magical attacks. On top of that, Tower attacks are Physical. That means Ceralin gets her bonus against the majority of attacks in the game.

Now, let's have a look at her Power Cards:

Charge is simple but very effective. The attack value is formidable, equal to a Strike (the most powerful Basic attack). On top of that, the Defense value of 2 keeps Ceralin well-protected. The movement, however, is what really makes Charge shine. Mobility is very powerful in Battle for Biternia, especially during the Action Phase. I usually choose Charge as my starting Power when I play Ceralin. Then, I position her between two lanes so that she can, well, Charge in to whichever needs her help the most.

Shield Bash doesn't do much damage, but it carries a Stun that isn't conditional upon hitting an enemy Hero with an attack. Stun is one of the most powerful effects in the game if used properly, as it denies the target their action for the round. It also discards their face-up card, leaving them defenseless. Shield Bash can be used to great effect to save an ally from a devastating attack or to create an opening for your other Heroes to strike.

Challenge is a bit more situational. It's an Interrupt, which means Ceralin can use it anytime, even during an opponent's action. While it's face-up, Ceralin forces enemies in her space to attack her, instead of other, more fragile targets. It can be wasted if your timing is off, but a well-placed Challenge can save several friendly Heroes, or even your Tower or Bit.

Triumph is Ceralin's Ultimate Power, which means she can only learn it once she reaches the maximum level of 4. It's well worth the wait, though. If Ceralin is alone in her space, it's still an Attack 4 with a very high Defense of 3. But that's kind of a waste. The power really shines when the whole gang is there. With everyone present, Ceralin gets to make four Attack 4's, which is enough to knock down a Tower in one go. If an enemy Hero has their defenses down, they're probably done. Triumph really encourages the player to bring the entire team together for one big push in the late game.

Design and Challenges:

Ceralin hasn't really changed much from her first incarnation. She's always had the same trait and powers, more or less. I did replace her old Ultimate with Triumph, which works much better with her "plays well with others" theme.

Although her core concept has been in place since the beginning, Ceralin has been a challenge to balance in more subtle ways. I've had to refine her constantly, making sure she is tough enough to be an effective tank, but not so tough as to be unstoppable. She has to be disruptive enough to be relevant, but not so damaging as to outshine squishier characters. I'm really happy with where she is now. I hope you'll have as much fun playing her as I do!

Be sure to check back in about a week, when I'll introduce you to Kerrick, the Wizard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now, another profile of one of the Heroes of Battle for Biternia:

Kerrick, the Wizard

Kerrick is possibly the most versatile character in Battle for Biternia. He deals relatively high damage, often at range or in an area-of-effect. To compensate for this, he has very low base Hit Points. His real strength, however, lies in his Trait. I'll talk about that below.

Kerrick is a bit of a glass cannon - his 8 base HP is the second-lowest in the game. His Trait, though, is incredibly useful. In a game where every Hero's attacks are pre-planned, being able to swap out your cards on the fly can let you make some amazing plays. You can assign Kerrick a Basic Card and then switch in one of his powers if the time is right, or you can swap in a Dash or Defend to get him out of impending trouble if the Movement Phase didn't turn out like you hoped. I'll mention some of my favorite tricks down below.

Kerrick's Powers:

Pulse is Kerrick's bread-and-butter Power. Area Attacks hit all enemies in the same space as the attacker, even enemies with Stealth. Used at the right time, Pulse can dish out 10 or 15 damage total to the enemy team. But even if there's only one enemy near you, Attack 5 is respectable. Pulse is a Magic Attack, as well. That means it gets past cards that protect from Physical damage, like Ceralin's Toughness Trait.
I usually pick Pulse as my starting Power when I play Kerrick.

If I'm feeling a little more tricky, I might start with Blink instead. As an Interrupt, it lets Kerrick get out of trouble after an Attack targets him. If he's no longer in range after he moves, the Attack won't hit him. On top of that, Blink sports a hearty 2 Defense and a modest Area Attack 2 as a bonus. One of my favorite tricks is to assign Blink to Kerrick during the Orders Phase, then use his Spellbook Trait to swap it out if I don't need to use it to dodge a hit.

Prism Bolt is a Ranged Attack, which means it can hit an enemy in an adjacent space. That alone is worth the price of admission, but the on-hit Confusion effect makes this a really effective ability. When a Hero is Confused, their player assigns them a random card off the top of their deck, rather than a card from their hand. This can really mess up an opponent's plans. The "Hit" condition means that the Attack must deal damage for the Confusion to apply, but with an Attack of 4, not much short of a Defend can stop it.

Meteo (not Meteor) is the biggest Area Attack in the game. Not only does it hit all enemies in Kerrick's space, it also hits all enemies in every adjacent space. It's entirely possible to hit the entire enemy team, along with a couple of towers. It is a Channeled ability, which means it doesn't go off until the end of the turn. If Kerrick gets Stunned or otherwise loses the card before then, the effects won't happen. However, that's a minor drawback for such a powerful spell.

Design and Challenges:
Kerrick was a tough Hero to get right. From the beginning, I wanted him to be a toolbox character, capable of tossing out all kinds of effects. Pulse and Prism Bolt stayed fairly constant since he was created, but I went through a few versions of Blink before finding one that I liked.

I also struggled with Meteo before landing on the current "super-AoE" that it is now. The Barbarian's ultimate is a very high-powered Area Attack, so I didn't want to just do that again for Kerrick. I tried making it an AoE that hits immediately and again on the next turn, but that didn't quite fit the theme. The enlarged Area that I settled on felt really unique and has the "cool factor" that the others lacked. Oh, and the name. Final Fantasy IV was one of my favorite games growing up, and the character limit meant that "Meteor," the game's most powerful spell, had to be shortened to "Meteo." I decided to pay a little tribute.

The real difficulty, though, was Spellbook. I tried Trait after Trait, from increasing hand size to manipulating the top of the Action Deck, but every power was either too strong, too weak, or too hard to remember. Eventually, the swap out version rose to the top. I love the versatile playstyle it gives Kerrick, making him distinct from every other Hero in the game.

Next Time: the Assassin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I promised you all a profile of the Assassin this week. Instead I'm going to tell you all about the great time I had running demos with the other guys from Stone Circle Games at MAGfest 2016.

After a long drive up from North Carolina, after getting up far too early, I walked into the Gaylord Resort in National Harbor, MD. This is the home of the Music and Gaming Festival, better known as MAGfest. This would be my second year at the festival. Last year, the Stone Circle Games guys and I ran demos of Horrible Hex. It was a lot of fun, and we got some attention for the game during its Kickstarter run.

Battle for Biternia, though, was the perfect game to bring. MAGfest is primarily a video game convention, but it has a substantial board game area as well. A board game based on a video game genre was bound to attract attention. We had no idea how much!

For the first day, we were set up in a hallway with decent foot traffic, but by Friday, we had made our way out onto the balcony overlooking the main entrance to the convention area. That's where we were in the picture above. We didn't have a moment's peace while we were set up, and that's a wonderful thing. My fellow game designers can attest how great the feeling is when other people are having fun playing your game.

By Saturday, things were so hectic that we had to start setting appointments for groups to come play. We're so grateful to everyone who came to try out Battle for Biternia. Not only did we get some amazing exposure, but we were also able to make some refinements to the game as well. The sheer number of games we played let us stress test the mechanics and helped us find a lot of interesting edge cases that needed rulings.

This also marked the maiden voyage of four-player mode, which turned out to be a rousing success! In this variant, players compete in teams of two, with each player controlling two Heroes (rather than the usual four). The game does tend to run longer, but an entirely new dynamic of strategy and collaboration was added. Many players commented that this version felt more like a MOBA, since you're working with a teammate to formulate a plan. We adjusted a few other things to deal with some dominant strategies that emerged, and by the end of the weekend, Battle for Biternia emerged a much stronger game.

I can recall one nail-biting moment when Aaron, one of my colleagues, had nearly destroyed his opponent's Bit, only to be repulsed and pushed back to his Tower. The fate of the game hinged on a single attack. He considered a target, then changed his mind at the last moment. Had he not reconsidered his action, the opponent would have won.

We even had some cosplayers from another popular MOBA give the game a go. All in all, MAGfest was a fantastic experience. If you came by and played the game, thank you! If you didn't get the chance to, you can try it out now by printing off the files in the first post of this thread. We would love to hear what you think!

And next week, for real this time, the Assassin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's been a little while since I did one of these. Sorry about the delay - sometimes life gets in the way.

But now, it's finally time to take a look at the Assassin!

First, you probably noticed is that this trained killer doesn't have a name. We're considering offering naming rights (WITHIN REASON) as backer rewards when we launch the Battle for Biternia Kickstarter campaign. So for now, I'll just be referring to her as "the Assassin."

She's not particularly sturdy, with only 9 base Hit Points. For a melee character, that's a difficult hindrance to overcome. However, the Assassin has some tricks to keep her in the fight. Her trait, Know Your Enemy, can make her a deadly threat to any enemy Hero, but it takes a little setting up first. Whenever the Assassin ends a round in the same space as an enemy Hero, she can study their weak points, represented by giving them a Death Mark token. Not only does this boost her attack against that Hero, many of her powers get vastly stronger if the target has a Death Mark. Speaking of which, let's take a look at them.

Fade Away is the Assassin's utility power. It works like a Dash, letting her move during the Action Phase, and it gives her Stealth. A Hero with Stealth can't be targeted by attacks or other abilities, although effects that don't target (e.g. Area Attacks) will still hit them. This power lets the Assassin slip into the shadows, keeping her safe from attacks while she builds up her Death Marks, or letting her escape from a sticky situation. Only she and Boreas, the Hunter have access to Stealth. I usually pick Fade Away as my starting power when playing the Assassin, since it lets me get set up to use her other powers early on.

On its own, Backstab is just a slightly better Strike, but its true power emerges when your target has a Death Mark. This is the Assassin's main damage ability, allowing her to make one of the strongest multi-attacks in the game (apart from Ultimates). It looks like two Attack 4's, but remember that the Assassin gets +1 Attack if she has a Death Mark on the target. So it's really a pair of Attack 5's. One of my favorite tactics is to sneak into a space with Fade Away on Round 1, giving my target a Death Mark. Then, I level her up and gain Backstab, using it on Round 2 to finish off my enemy.

Stun effects are some of the strongest powers in the game, and Garrote is no exception. It's basically a Parry if the target doesn't have a Death Mark, but if they do, they're taking an Attack of 4 and then getting stunned. This is especially useful if you think the enemy is planning a big attack with that Hero, or if you need to set up an ally to make a devastating strike. There's not much to say about Garrote, really. It's just a solid power, and it has stayed in its current form through almost all of the Assassin's development.

I'm sure you all saw this one coming, unlike the Assassin's hapless victim. She just wouldn't be a proper Assassin without an insta-kill ultimate. Lime most Assassin powers, there is some legwork involved first, but taking down a full-health enemy in one shot can swing an entire game, if you time it right. Even the threat of Deathstroke is enough to make enemies give the Assassin a wide berth.

Design and Challenges:

The Assassin began life as the Rogue, in the earliest versions of Battle for Biternia. She has been one of the most challenging characters to get right. I could never quite find a set of powers that fit the Rogue archetype, so I decided to switch over to the Assassin and focus on the stealth and sneak attack playstyle. Early on, the Assassin was significantly under the power curve. It was always my intention that she should be a high skill cap character, but she was just too hard to use well. After a few waves of buffs, she has become the sneaky death-dealer that you see here. Not only is she now competitive with the other Heroes, she's one of the most satisfying to use well. I hope you all enjoy the look on your opponent's face as they struggle to deal with your elusive Assassin.

I'm heading to Unpub 6 with some of the guys from Stone Circle Games next weekend, so be sure to stop by and get in a game of Battle for Biternia if you're there. We hope to see you!

Next update: Unpub 6 Report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Demoing continues on the Easter Seaboard!

The latest prototype from the Game Crafter has been going over very well, Fontes' art really shines now!

We've also been getting some good feedback on the new hero and tower/bit tracking boards. They make looking across the table and seeing your opponent's HP much easier.

Here's a shot from WashingCon 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon, thanks for the update!

I know I've been MIA for a while on this thread. These last couple of hectic months have seen me heading from convention to convention and planning a wedding on top of that. Still, I'm excited to let everyone know what's new with Battle for Biternia and to start updating the WIP thread again.

Conventions
Unpub 6 was an amazing time; it was exhilarating to see so many people excited to play Battle for Biternia. We got so much feedback, especially on our stretch goal Heroes, and we have since been able to balance them more closely with the core Heroes.

I also took Battle for Biternia with me to Origins, GenCon, and Dragon*Con. At all three, players had a great time with the game. It's always a great experience to introduce a new group of players.

What's Next
At Stone Circle Games, we're still working hard to get everything ready to launch the Battle for Biternia campaign on Kickstarter. That means continuing to playtest and refine the game, as well as the rulebook. We're expecting to receive a batch of reviewer prototypes and demo copies from the Game Crafter. I'll be sure to post pictures when we do.

Thanks to everyone who has tried Battle for Biternia. I can't wait until we can launch our campaign and make the game available to everyone. Check back to this thread soon for more updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Time Has Come!

Battle for Biternia launches tomorrow, Tuesday, April 18, at 12:00 noon Eastern!

Be sure to check it out and help us finally make this game a reality.
www.biternia.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks so much to everyone who backed the game! We came so close to success, but you haven't seen the last of Battle for Biternia. We're making plans for a relaunch, incorporating the feedback we've been provided, but we need more. If you have any ideas on what we can do to improve our chances next time, please let us know.

You can see our previous campaign's website here: http://kck.st/2rbAIRR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Circle Games

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
publisher
mb
Hey everyone, if you are going to GenCon and would like to try out Battle for Biternia we have a few slots still available to play on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. (https://www.facebook.com/events/1352207621564925/?ti=as)

We also have the Tabletopia version available (https://t.co/JlyQfVbvVL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.