GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How many games did you demo or play at GenCon 2015? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, this was the first GenCon for everyone in my group. We all had a blast, playing and demo-ing games in the play test area, the game library and the gaming hall.

I counted 22 games that I either played or demoed over the 3 days we were at the convention, and ended up buyign about 5 games. Not knowing what to expect, I don't think I was as efficient in trying out games as I could have been.

How many did you play? How many did you buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
Okay, this was the first GenCon for everyone in my group. We all had a blast, playing and demo-ing games in the play test area, the game library and the gaming hall.

I counted 22 games that I either played or demoed over the 3 days we were at the convention, and ended up buyign about 5 games. Not knowing what to expect, I don't think I was as efficient in trying out games as I could have been.

I played about a dozen demos, which is unusually low for me. I played about two dozen games that were not demos. How many did I buy? Best not to answer that.

Pete (knows his wife is not on BGG but isn't taking any chances)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
glouie wrote:

I counted 22 games that I either played or demoed over the 3 days we were at the convention, and ended up buying about 5 games. Not knowing what to expect, I don't think I was as efficient in trying out games as I could have been.

I played about a dozen demos, which is unusually low for me. I played about two dozen games that were not demos. How many did I buy? Best not to answer that.

Pete (knows his wife is not on BGG but isn't taking any chances)

Thats pretty good amount of demo's, considering the crowds in the exhibit hall, especially on Saturday.

Of the 5 games I bought, 3 were purchased by my wife, who doesnt usually buy games, and 1 (Nothing Personal) was bought at her insistence. I walked away with 6 more games from Math Trades..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I played about 9 or 10 games, and watched another handful being tested (as to not have to wait around all the dang time!)

I bought a decent number of games, but I'd say maybe 4 or 5 were ones I demoed.

It may not seem like what you did was really that "efficient" - but it honestly was. Demoing something requires you to have some sort of interest in it in the first place, so you would have had to not do your curiosity justice for "efficiency"s sake. Getting 22 different games demoed is pretty dang good, especially if you feel you perused everything you wanted to at the vendor hall.

Next year, when you go through the geeklists and other resources to figure out what's available, you'll have a better sense of what you're looking for and interested in trying out, and which ones you can just pass over unless you have the time.

I say that as someone who just did their second year, and felt kind of similar to you after the first year (although for my first year I bought TOO many games, many only having 1 play under their belts after the whole year.) I felt my experience this year was much more 'refined' - although I still missed out on a few things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played or demo'd 25 unique games. Total plays was close to 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
I think I played about 9 or 10 games, and watched another handful being tested (as to not have to wait around all the dang time!)

I bought a decent number of games, but I'd say maybe 4 or 5 were ones I demoed.

It may not seem like what you did was really that "efficient" - but it honestly was. Demoing something requires you to have some sort of interest in it in the first place, so you would have had to not do your curiosity justice for "efficiency"s sake. Getting 22 different games demoed is pretty dang good, especially if you feel you perused everything you wanted to at the vendor hall.

Next year, when you go through the geeklists and other resources to figure out what's available, you'll have a better sense of what you're looking for and interested in trying out, and which ones you can just pass over unless you have the time.

I say that as someone who just did their second year, and felt kind of similar to you after the first year (although for my first year I bought TOO many games, many only having 1 play under their belts after the whole year.) I felt my experience this year was much more 'refined' - although I still missed out on a few things.

Yeah, I'm not complaining.. My whole group had a great time, my wife even said she would go back next year.

The exhibit hall was a great way to demo games, and checkout accessries (dice, dice towers, dice bags, t-shirts, miniatures, etc...) but the lines for the demo's were crazy. So it was fun, and I'm definitely glad I spent time in there, but I prefered hanging out in the gaming hall. It seemed that as long as there were spots open, most of the publishers had not problem with people just sitting down without tickets and playing the games and would even teach the games...

For me, the GenCon Game Library was a bit of a bust.. It was crowded, hot and loud... so even though there was a huge selection of games, it was near impossible to learn new games because the noise level made it hard to teach and discuss the rules.. We did play some fun games there, it just wasn't the experience that I expected.

If we go next year, I think we'll probably bypass the Game Library (or only go there one night) and instead find a place to play the new games we buy (maybe in the hotel lobby). The other thing I would consider is using the Geek Chic gaming library in the mall. The selection wasn't huge, but they had really cool gaming tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chadwick
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 4 complete games in the Exhibit Hall, and partially played another 4 games.

I also played 12 games in scheduled events... 6 more in the library... and 4 in the hotel/traveling back home.

I'll have to go back and check, but it felt like I was demoing less games (and watching other people play more) this year in the Exhibit Hall compared to the last time I went to Gen Con in 2013.

I probably would have sat down for more than 8 games in the Exhibit Hall this year if more demos were being offered for the games I was interested in. Most of the publishers I went to just had the games on display and gave a brief run-through... Plus, the lines/waits for just the chance to sit down for a demo seemed much longer this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like compiling stats about myself!

I recorded 48 play during the course of Gen Con in 35 unique games. That does not include the two RPG sessions I ran or the two video game events I did.

I played/demoed 12 games in the exhibition hall. Twelve of my recorded play came from ticketed events I participated in. The rest of the games played was in the form of open gaming with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played or demoed 23 games in total. I preordered 2 of the games I demoed and plan to back another when it hit's Kickstarter in October. One of my friends bought 2 of the games that we demoed. I picked up one game I backed on Kickstarter, bought 4 additional games that I did not demo, and picked up the AEG Big Game Night swag bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.