11 Posts

Mistfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rewards and rules summary/aid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Nicolas
msg tools
Hello,

I just read all the threads related to rules, because as everyone I have been a little lost during my first party

And I still have a question about the hero reward:
According to the rules, there is one random hero reward per hero added to the reward deck (page 4 in Prepare Rewards)
And page 11 in Taking Reward Cards, it is said:
Quote:
for a player to be able to take a Reward car, that Rewar card must share at least 1 keyword with the Gear Proficiencies of their Hero Charter.

Does this means that a Hero specific reward can be taken by another Hero if this Hero as a gear proficiency comptatible?
For exemple, the card "Axe of Fiery Sparks" belonging to Fengray as the following keywords "Axe, Bladed, Blunt, Flame, Gear, Lightning, Reward, Weapon.", and Venda as the following gear proficiencies "Axe, Hammer, Mace, Sword, Armour, Shield, Potion, Trinket."
Does it mean that Venda could take the "Axe of Fiery sparks" as a reward, as she is sharing the keyword axe, or is it only usable by Fengray?

Also, I have started to write a more complete "Player Aid" describing every phase, some basic rules (that I tend to forget) and some erratas.
Please feel free to feedback or comments if anything is wrong or missing.

Mistfall – Player Aid

1. Reinforcement phase

→ If there is no active encounter
Reinforcement set to 0
If perilous or overrun area, draw an encounter

→ If there is an active encounter
Move reinforcement marker as specified by the encounter card (if 0 → reset reinforcement track to 0)
Add <reinforcement track> # of enemies matching encounter card specificity
If not enough enemies: reshuffle enemy decks and increase time track by 2
Reset reinforcement track to 0

2. Travel phase (optional)

General rules:
Players can pay up to 4 resolves to scout adjacent areas (1 per area)
Players can pay <# of players> resolves to relocate the party to any area (safe, perilous, overrun or unrevealed) linked to active location by a contiguous line of adjacent, revealed safe locations

Party relocation:
→ If there is an active encounter
Party can retreat to a safe adjacent area, following retreat penalty (remove active encounter and all enemies if doing so)

Party can relocate to any adjacent location or stay on this safe location (resting)

Entering new unrevealed location:
Always start as perilous - add a wound on the location tile
Draw an encounter sharing at least one keyword with the active location
Start drawing enemies as specified by the encounter card (appropriate deck / sharing keyword)
If not enough enemies: reshuffle enemy decks and increase time track by 2
Follow active location special setup if any.

3. Pursuit phase

General rules:
Enemies moving from Hero to Quest area are placed in the rightmost position
Enemies won’t pursue hero having 0 focus
When an enemy is moving into a H area, divide his focus by 2 (round down)

Start moving enemies from Q area to hero having the higher focus value, until there is no enemy left in Q area, or all the Hero are at 0 focus.

4. Hero phase

General rules:
Players choose in which order to activate heroes.
Players can purchase advanced feats any time during this phase. Cards purchased are placed in the hand and can be played directly.

Active player can:
Resolve 1 Regular action
Resolve any numbers of fast or reflex actions
Purchase any number of advanced feats

At the end of their turn, player draw cards back up to their draw limit.

5. Defense phase

General rules:
Each enemy in a Hero area must activate once, in an order selected by the player.

Activate all the enemies
Resolve the effects of all conditions in place
Discard a maximum of one condition per enemy or hero

6. Encounter phase

Encounter check:
→ If end conditions are not satisfied: end encounter phase now

→ If end conditions are met:
Disperse all enemies
Improve location status by removing one wound
Draw 2 rewards from reward deck (if depleted add 1 resolve to the pool for each card the players are not able to draw)
Each reward can be taken into player hand (must share 1 keyword with Hero proficiency) or placed at the bottom of the reward deck in exchange of their resolve value.
Reset enemy focus
Discard the encounter card

→ No encounter and no enemy in play and location is safe, then Players can rest:
Each player restores a number of cards equal to their Restoration value + the restoration value of the active location
Draw cards to draw limit
Restoring a card = move from burial to discard or from discard to bottom of deck

7. Time phase

Draw Time card
Move marker cube on Time track
Resolve card event
Resolve Time track event if any

8. Special / Notes

- Hero having an empty area automatically gain +1 range to their actions
- Hero must respect equipment restriction into their area
- Hero taking wound must move one card from their hand or discard pile to the burial pile (one per wound)
- Enemy vulnerability: if the keyword of the source matches the enemy vulnerability, then the enemy is taking vulnerability number of wound (ignoring their defense)
- Eliminated enemy generates a number of resolve equal to their value.
- Conditions:
Burning: Deals one damage at the end of defense phase (cannot be canceled)
Poison: Deals one damage at the end of defense phase (cannot be canceled)
Daze: Reduce inflicted damage by 1 for each daze token
Weakness: Reduce the number of draw card by 1 (whatever the number of weakness token) - As a reflex player can remove all weakness conditions from an enemy to ignore 1 special ability of that enemy.

9. Erratas

Venomtongue: Fast action should not place poison token
Ardenai Dagger: should be identical to Crow’s dagger card
ArcaneWeave Bow: correct keywords “Arcane. Bow. Gear. Piercing. Ranged. Weapon.”
Cleaver of Havoc: Flame keyword instead Venomous
Utility Belt: Reflex should be “discard this card” instead of “discard this card or place it on top of your deck” and add a new paragraph: “Special: If this card is in your discard pile, move it to the top of your deck after you draw cards at the end of your Hero Turn”
Force Runestone: “Special: Cards attached to Force Runestone…”
Crow’s ability: get a resolve even when dispersing enemy at the end of an encounter or when moving from one location to another.
Abomination Quest: Quest setup, should read “Desacrated Shrine” instead of “Desacrated Temple”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nico3fr wrote:
Hello,

I just read all the threads related to rules, because as everyone I have been a little lost during my first party

And I still have a question about the hero reward:
According to the rules, there is one random hero reward per hero added to the reward deck (page 4 in Prepare Rewards)
And page 11 in Taking Reward Cards, it is said:
Quote:
for a player to be able to take a Reward car, that Rewar card must share at least 1 keyword with the Gear Proficiencies of their Hero Charter.

Does this means that a Hero specific reward can be taken by another Hero if this Hero as a gear proficiency comptatible?
For exemple, the card "Axe of Fiery Sparks" belonging to Fengray as the following keywords "Axe, Bladed, Blunt, Flame, Gear, Lightning, Reward, Weapon.", and Venda as the following gear proficiencies "Axe, Hammer, Mace, Sword, Armour, Shield, Potion, Trinket."
Does it mean that Venda could take the "Axe of Fiery sparks" as a reward, as she is sharing the keyword axe, or is it only usable by Fengray?

The Players get to choose who gets the reward. The Rewards are shared between players who may choose which hero will get it or discard for printed resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
I like this

However, there are two phases I feel can be split into two.

The travel phase deal both with party relocation and the setup of new encounters. If I'm not mistaken, you start a new encounter here if you already completed an encounter in an overrun location.

The Encounter phase both deals with the aftermath and resting. These could (as I see it) be dealt with individually. It should be possible to just do the aftermath, and after that, if the location is safe and there are no enemies, perform the restoration and draw back up to the draw limit. (I've seen this draw limit in the aftermath several places, but the rules place it at the resting - not sure which is correct, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Nicolas
msg tools
demo wrote:
I like this

However, there are two phases I feel can be split into two.

The travel phase deal both with party relocation and the setup of new encounters. If I'm not mistaken, you start a new encounter here if you already completed an encounter in an overrun location.

The Encounter phase both deals with the aftermath and resting. These could (as I see it) be dealt with individually. It should be possible to just do the aftermath, and after that, if the location is safe and there are no enemies, perform the restoration and draw back up to the draw limit. (I've seen this draw limit in the aftermath several places, but the rules place it at the resting - not sure which is correct, though)

For your first point, I disagree, if the location was overrun, then the new encounter will start during the "1. reinforcement phase" and not during the travel phase:
Nico3fr wrote:
Reinforcement set to 0
If perilous or overrun area, draw an encounter

For your second point, maybe this is not very clear, but for me the Resting part only applied if as specified:
Nico3fr wrote:
No encounter and no enemy in play: Players can rest

I'll also add "and location is safe"

The "Resting:" part is just here to describe what happen while resting

Concerning this:
demo wrote:
(I've seen this draw limit in the aftermath several places, but the rules place it at the resting - not sure which is correct, though)

I think that it is correct to draw cards while resting. And resting may happen during encounter aftermath (if the conditions are met, meaning, no enemy, no encounter and location is safe)

I'll edit my first message to clarify "Encounter phase"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
Nico3fr wrote:
For your first point, I disagree, if the location was overrun, then the new encounter will start during the "1. reinforcement phase" and not during the travel phase:

I can't find the part about drawing new encounters during the reinforment phase in the rules. I may have missed it though, care to point me to the right place?

I'm trying to find some way to make the "branching factor" less, e.g. having Rest as a separate step after the encounter aftermath makes it slightly easier to deal with. It's less coupled.

You're right. If the location is safe AND there are no active encounters AND there are no enemies. Not sure if the location can be safe and have an active encounter at the same time is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
I'm just trying to "merge" the two rest conditions. Right now there is something like:

if (safe && no enemies && no encounter) then
rest
else if (encounter done) then
disperse
draw rewards
rest
end
discard encounter
end

It feels easier if this was:

if (encounter end) then
disperse
draw rewards
discard encounter
end

rest
end

However, I'm still not 100% certain that this is completely equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Nicolas
msg tools
Understood and agreed, this seems to be the same. I'll update

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
In the same vein, I'm trying to get across the same point about entering a new location - and staying at the same location that is not safe. Again, not quite sure the merging is possible. Nice work anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demo wrote:
Nico3fr wrote:

I can't find the part about drawing new encounters during the reinforment phase in the rules. I may have missed it though, care to point me to the right place?

Just reading the rules once more and I have the same doubt, do you draw an Encounter card when staying (not relocating) to a Perilous Location which was previously Overrun? As the Encounter Check seems to be part of the Party Relocation process it seems you don't draw while not relocating (although I agree that makes no sense, but that's how the rules are written).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:

Just reading the rules once more and I have the same doubt, do you draw an Encounter card when staying (not relocating) to a Perilous Location which was previously Overrun?

you play every phase, if conditions are not met you just move on to the next one (that's why you can play cards during hero phase even if there are no monsters).

for traveling:

- travel phase
-- party relocation (optional)
-- entering new location
-- encounter check
-- drawing encounters
-- encounter setup

encounter check states:
- Check if there is an Active Encounter.
-- If there is an Active Encounter in play, do not draw a new Encounter this turn.
-- If there is no Active Encounter, check the Location Status. If the Location is Safe (indicated by no Wound tokens on the Location), do not draw a new Encounter this turn.
-- If there is no Active Encounter and the Location is either Perilous or Overrun (indicated by 1 or 2 Wound tokens respectively), immediately draw a new Encounter.

even if you don't move you still do an encounter check, since it's not newly revealed it keeps it's status (for example if you relocated earlier). when you're on the tile you check for an encounter, and depending on the location's state - perilous or overrun - you draw an encounter card. perilous and overrun are basically the same thing, it just takes longer to make the location safe if it's overrun (you first remove 1 token, then in the next encounter check the location is still perilous so you draw another encounter).

or, in short: "if the location is not safe, draw an encounter".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You only keep track of location status, not location history, so "perilous" and "perilous but previously overrun" are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.