GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,481 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Felicia Day's ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daren Tan
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does Felicia's ability triggers for crossroad cards drawn only for the player controlling her, or it happens anytime a card matching the criteria is drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daren wrote:
Does Felicia's ability triggers for crossroad cards drawn only for the player controlling her, or it happens anytime a card matching the criteria is drawn?

I do not really understand the question.

Felicia is considered to have the name of every other survivor.
This means that if a crossroad card is drawn for the turn of the player controlling Felicia it also triggers (because of Felicias special ability) if it specifically mentions another survivor by name and the additional triggers also hold of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the situation that Daren is talking about:

Player A controls Felicia. When it's Player A's turn, the player to the right looks at a Crossroads card and waits for it to trigger. If the Crossroads card refers to Mike Cho and Mike is not in play, the card will still trigger because of Felicia's special ability.

Daren's question is whether or not other players -- those not controlling Felicia -- still have their Crossroads cards trigger for survivors not in play, or if that only works on Felicia's controller's turn.

The answer is that it doesn't matter who controls Felicia. She is considered to have the name of every survivor not in play. All the time. On everyone's turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
The answer is that it doesn't matter who controls Felicia. She is considered to have the name of every survivor not in play. All the time. On everyone's turns.

Now I got the question. Thanks for the clarification
Yes, she is always everybody laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daren Tan
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Another tainted victory last night sigh ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if a cards trigger is "If Mike Cho is not in play, ...." And he is not, but Felicia IS in play... The card still won't trigger correct? Because since Felicia is in play, technically Mike is "in play" even though his actual card is still in the survivor deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
So, if a cards trigger is "If Mike Cho is not in play, ...." And he is not, but Felicia IS in play... The card still won't trigger correct? Because since Felicia is in play, technically Mike is "in play" even though his actual card is still in the survivor deck.

That's actually I was unsure about, because her card says "for the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads cards...", but technically this would count as using Felicia to NOT trigger a crossroad.

Thematically, if Mike Cho is not in the game, people can bump into the real Mike Cho, even if Felicia is acting like him at the camp. But, mechanically her ability can go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
soakman wrote:

That's actually I was unsure about, because her card says "for the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads cards...", but technically this would count as using Felicia to NOT trigger a crossroad.

Thematically, if Mike Cho is not in the game, people can bump into the real Mike Cho, even if Felicia is acting like him at the camp. But, mechanically her ability can go either way.

I like the close-reading about "triggering" crossroads. Her presence, then, should not negate a trigger.

Thematically, that's what I was thinking. It doesn't really make sense to NOT be able to run into a character simply because Felicia is in play. I wil probably rule that they still trigger, but I'm still not 100% on this because I haven't seen all the crossroads, and I actually don't want to spoil them for myself.

I'm sure this answer is out there somewhere, but I was hoping someone had it at hand. I just recently acquired Felicia and haven't played with her yet, so I was just trying to get some ducks in a row beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felicia is considered to have the name of every survivor currently not in play. So, if Mike Cho is not in play, she is considered to be named Mike Cho. So if a Crossroads card says is triggers if Mike Cho is not in play, I don't think it would trigger if Felicia were around.

It's true that it says, "for the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads card...," but I believe that kind of phrase has an implied meaning of "for the purpose of triggering (or not triggering) and resolving (or not resolving) crossroads cards..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Felicia is considered to have the name of every survivor currently not in play. So, if Mike Cho is not in play, she is considered to be named Mike Cho. So if a Crossroads card says is triggers if Mike Cho is not in play, I don't think it would trigger if Felicia were around.

It's true that it says, "for the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads card...," but I believe that kind of phrase has an implied meaning of "for the purpose of triggering (or not triggering) and resolving (or not resolving) crossroads cards..."

I hate making theme arguments, but essentially what your implied rule means is that because Felicia is acting like Mike Cho, it is impossible for the colony to bump into Mike in the wild. And the question is why? Unless you accept this dark theory she murdered everyone in town and is now pretending to be them Psycho-style. Unless of course one shows up with a survivor event card. Awkward reunion...

Her card seems based on her acting skill. Sure, she can speak and read Chinese, build barricades like a pro, worry about 'her kid at school', cause she essentially playing roles (~crazy~), but why should the real people she is emulating suddenly poof?

Outside of that, Felicia seems built to assist in getting more crossroads into a game, since it has been criticized how some crossroads are hard to trigger. So although it is true the wording is vague, I think the implied intent of her is obvious.

EDIT: And if you allow Felicia to imply she can be used to "(not trigger)", could I imply I could waste a medicine to (not heal) a character, or play three survivors but choose to (not) get a new character and two helpless survivors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think I worded that a little strangely. What I meant was that, I think that the phrase "For the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads cards,..." was unnecessary on Felicia's card. I think it could have easily just said, "ANYWHERE: In addition to her own name, Felicia is considered to have the name of every survivor not currently in play."

I think the reason they added that other phrase was just to clarify why people having other peoples' names would matter at all. Also, some people might say, "Hey, it says here that Felicia is Mike Cho. So I'm going have her use Mike Cho's abilities."

If they were going to include a clarifying phrase, I would rather have it say, "ANYWHERE: When a survivor's name is referenced on a crossroads card, and if that survivor is not in play, Felicia is considered to have that survivor's name."

And just to make this whole point moot actually, I took a look at the Mike Cho crossroads card and it says, "... and Mike Cho is still in the survivor deck..." So it's not triggering on him not being in play, it's triggering on him being in the survivor deck, which I believe is true whether or not Felicia is in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Yeah, I think I worded that a little strangely. What I meant was that, I think that the phrase "For the purpose of triggering and resolving crossroads cards,..." was unnecessary on Felicia's card.

If I agreed with your interpretation of the card, I would agree with your re-wording of her card. But I don't agree with your interpretation of her card I'm not really seeing how you can jump to that interpret when the card's current wording does not support that, and there is no other source to confirm the wording is misleading.

So, despite the example of Mike Cho being moot, there is still the issue (in case of expansions, fan-made stuff, etc.), if a card was triggered by someone not being in play, would Felicia's card's text stop it, based on the actual wording of the card. As I said in my previous post, I think the intent of her card is to encourage more crossroads to trigger (hence why it specifically says "for the purpose of triggering...), so I don't she needs to be re-worded. Yeah, people may think cause she's also named "Mike Cho" she gets his power and everyone else in the deck, but that interpretation would make her so OP I doubt many people would assume her name unlocks all powers.

Of course, if Sparky wants to come by and clarify the card, that would help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I agree that I'm making my interpretation up.

But I just love rules that are simple. The simpler, the better. I think it would be a better game design decision if Felicia's ability just meant that she has the name of all non-present survivors all the time, for whatever reason.

Instead, if the intent is that she only has their names if it causes crossroads cards to trigger and not if it causes them not to trigger... that's just not as elegant to me.

And I guess I'm just hoping that the game designers had intended it according to my interpretation, but that they just didn't word the card very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad BeVier
msg tools
randomlife wrote:

Player A controls Felicia. When it's Player A's turn, the player to the right looks at a Crossroads card and waits for it to trigger. If the Crossroads card refers to Mike Cho and Mike is not in play, the card will still trigger because of Felicia's special ability.

Daren's question is whether or not other players -- those not controlling Felicia -- still have their Crossroads cards trigger for survivors not in play, or if that only works on Felicia's controller's turn.

However, Mike Cho's crossroads card reads "If...Mike Cho is in the survivor deck." Felicia's ability doesn't stop Mike Cho's card from being in the deck, she just also has his name while he is in the deck. If a card instructs you to search the deck for a card and put it in play, that card still comes from the deck (if it's there) and is put into play. Bear in mind, if you use the 'graveyard' location in the Long Night expansion, her ability might not apply to characters who have already died.

Felicia's ability only really applies to crossroad cards which read "if the player controls 'X'," or "if 'X' is in play," where 'X' is actually not in play. She doesn't have any impact/nor is impacted by "if 'X' is in the survivor deck." And her ability doesn't activate unless she is herself in play, so NO, she isn't targeted by affects which cause a search the deck for a player by name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaigetsuHitoOMattazu wrote:
randomlife wrote:

However, Mike Cho's crossroads card reads "If...Mike Cho is in the survivor deck." Felicia's ability doesn't stop Mike Cho's card from being in the deck, she just also has his name while he is in the deck. If a card instructs you to search the deck for a card and put it in play, that card still comes from the deck (if it's there) and is put into play. Bear in mind, if you use the 'graveyard' location in the Long Night expansion, her ability might not apply to characters who have already died.

Felicia's ability only really applies to crossroad cards which read "if the player controls 'X'," or "if 'X' is in play," where 'X' is actually not in play. She doesn't have any impact/nor is impacted by "if 'X' is in the survivor deck." And her ability doesn't activate unless she is herself in play, so NO, she isn't targeted by affects which cause a search the deck for a player by name.

Right, I think we all agree with that so far. But the unanswered question is whether or not Felicia's ability has any impact on a card that says, "if X is not in play." I don't think there are currently any cards that say that, so this is just speculative of future expansions.

I actually think it would be kind of cool (and simpler) if her ability does apply to that situation. I'm imagining two characters that have some kind of relationship where one of them has an "ability" that says something like, "If Maria is not in play, Charlie cannot leave the Colony." Like, he's too scared to go anywhere without her being around. But if Felicia is in play, it calms Charlie down because she's pretending to be Maria and he believes her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.