GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The end of the world is coming... which games do you.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's game night at your friendly local game store and you've settled in for a night of fun games. But then your friend, the astrophysicist, sprints into the store and informs you that the world is ending! You have a few precious seconds to grab some games and run outside where he's got a rocket ship waiting to whisk you into space and the safe harbor of his space station.

You know that the clock is ticking... any game you don't bring with you will be lost to humanity when the Earth explodes. So obviously there's an important decision to be made here!

That's right. It's up to you to pick a game off the game shelf, and dash it to the ground, dancing on top of it's broken pieces in a celebration that this game will never again plague humanity. Sure you could pick a few games you want to take with you instead... but where's the fun in that? No... it's much better to take your revenge on that game that did you wrong! So which game would you love to erase from existence?

(This is my demented inversion of all the perpetually recurring "What game would you take to a deserted island?" threads.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose Pachisi... but if he wasn't offering salvation I might choose to play it instead because then the time I have left on this Earth would truly feel like forever.

Pete (hates on that game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookie Fu, Grandmaster Chi Battles...That was the last time I ever made a blind purchase again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders, Dominion, Carcassonne and Splendor. Think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic

Loathe this game. Not that its not good, but it stresses me out and I'm winless through numerous plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion. If that game survives, humanity doesn't deserve to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Busen Memo. Spacestations sound lonely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snakes and Ladders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunch Money
But I might be worried that a card might stick to my foot, being saved with me on the space station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
The most disapointing game that ever was

Also, I would have to think twice about taking a boardgame in space.
Other good question : what game can you play in microgravity?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill load Lifeboats on a Lifeboat and shoot it into the sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
It's game night at your friendly local game store and you've settled in for a night of fun games. But then your friend, the astrophysicist, sprints into the store and informs you that the world is ending! You have a few precious seconds to grab some games and run outside where he's got a rocket ship waiting to whisk you into space and the safe harbor of his space station.

You know that the clock is ticking... any game you don't bring with you will be lost to humanity when the Earth explodes. So obviously there's an important decision to be made here!

That's right. It's up to you to pick a game off the game shelf, and dash it to the ground, dancing on top of it's broken pieces in a celebration that this game will never again plague humanity. Sure you could pick a few games you want to take with you instead... but where's the fun in that? No... it's much better to take your revenge on that game that did you wrong! So which game would you love to erase from existence?

(This is my demented inversion of all the perpetually recurring "What game would you take to a deserted island?" threads.)

Phase 10. But I would actually take it with me, so that I could - later, at my leisure - burn it one...card...at...a...time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do we know this astrophysicist hasn't engineered the whole thing in effort to launch you elsewhere in this rocket ship so that he can take all of your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell if people are trying to start a debate/argument with some of these answers or if they genuinely hate some quality games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid_Dragon wrote:
How do we know this astrophysicist hasn't engineered the whole thing in effort to launch you elsewhere in this rocket ship so that he can take all of your games?
Because we trust Edmund implicitly ever since he took a bullet for us in Bosnia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot, I only play games to escape hum drum boredom of life....Now I'm going to Space!

Is it a long trip?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No game. Run to the spaceship and make sure I get a seat before they're all full well the rest of you dummys grab your games.

Also I'd call my mom and cry and hope that she somehow doesn't die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Spy Treasure Hunt Game

Piece of crap "game" with a magnetic shovel that can't be used as a regular shovel OR as a magnetic spatula 'cause the d@mn embedded magnet is so weak.

I feel all the more validated in my choice here as it doesn't even have a BGG entry!!!

So, making absolutely sure that it is erased from existence by this fortuitous natural apocalypse before someone has a chance to bring it to the attention of the surely-to-be-saved essential resource that is the BGG database makes my answer here all the more critical and...

wait...

This reply is going into the database?!?!

Oh, crap!!!

What have I done????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
I can't tell if people are trying to start a debate/argument with some of these answers or if they genuinely hate some quality games.

Everyone is allowed to passionately loathe even the games that someone else considers "quality". I never try to start a debate with my criticism for Agricola, for example, but can dispassionately and validly rate it the 1.1 I do give it. One man's fish is another man's poisson and all that. Whatever game makes you happy, I always say. Carry on gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:

I genuinely loathe both Agricola and Dominion.

It's not about quality though. I don't think they're "bad" games, just "bad for me".

I can either recognise that they're good at what they're trying to do. It's just that I have no interest in what they have to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple - High Frontier - this way we may actually be able to learn something, land somewhere, and start a new civilization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scattergories. We want to keep group harmony in space, not kill each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.