Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Had heard great things about it, and I love the artwork--but the amount of reading is intense.

Nothing bores people more than passing around a phonebook-sized book from player to player to flip through and read a paragraph or two every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Demonslayer: Siege of Mt. Kunlun I bought this recently and only played it solo a few times. Consistent art and pretty nice boards and player aids makes it a pretty attractive package. Gameplay becomes a bit tedious, it drags somewhat and the game being a deckbuilder it also becomes "samey" to some extent.
A few expansions would really do wonders for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miskatonic School for Girls and Genegrafter. Both Kickstarter projects backed in part because the art looked great.
But they're both dreadful games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Had heard great things about it, and I love the artwork--but the amount of reading is intense.

Nothing bores people more than passing around a phonebook-sized book from player to player to flip through and read a paragraph or two every turn.

Really? We love it for that, as it keeps multiple players engage at a time and we have fun reading the paragraphs out dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm

I love Larry Elmore. I'd rather play Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

Obviously a lot of people disagree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12 Realms.

Ugh. hate it so much. Fell for it somewhere between the pretty artwork and Rahdo's talent of making every game sound so good (due to his enthusiasm).

I must say that their paint job was very poor too. so much sadness from so little of a "game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Key to the Kingdom has a magnificently adventurous board, but most would scoff at its roll & move mechanics and simplistic premise. I'm actually higher on the game than most for a few unrelated reasons, but even I can't call it a good game. But that board, man, that board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Evil Baby Orphanage... I enjoy the art direction immensely, but the game, blegh, boring, tedious, and takes way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Key to the Kingdom has a magnificently adventurous board, but most would scoff at its roll & move mechanics and simplistic premise. I'm actually higher on the game than most for a few unrelated reasons, but even I can't call it a good game. But that board, man, that board...

So true. I held onto that game for years, thinking that eventually I'd come up with a good game to play with that board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chez Dork

The artwork and the jokes are great. The game really isn't. (And I say that as someone who is fine with Chez Geek).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallorn wrote:
Evil Baby Orphanage... I enjoy the art direction immensely, but the game, blegh, boring, tedious, and takes way too long.

+1. I came in here to post this game. Gorgeous artwork, dire gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that situation, too.
When Oddball Aeronauts 2 came to Kickstarter I fell in love for the artwork and of course I wasn't smart enough to check on the first one. This wednesday I played it for the first time...and the only time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people find Pastiche boring (not me, though), but I guess that "art" there can't be beaten, can it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island

I don't play it often but I want to just because I think the artwork on this game is beautiful. But the gameplay is so flat. Whenever I read people talking about the game I can't understand how they like it. The "strategy" is the same strategy as rolling a set of dice to see if you win. Flip as many tiles as you can each turn and hope you don't lose too many. Every time I've lost I've felt like the whole reason I lost was poor luck on treasures or on island tiles sinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido. Nice looking game, but boy is it boring and predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World
Not exactly great artwork, but it was colorful and attractive to a brand new board gamer when I got it. And I really liked the idea of modular components to build your selected race+characteristic.

More players is definitely better to create the tension of everyone vying for limited territories, but it really fails as a 2-player game with very little interaction. Even when you meet up against your opponent's areas, it's usually just back and forth taking over the same areas where you meet. Really boring. Maybe if the 2-player board was even half the size, it might work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
Small World
Not exactly great artwork, but it was colorful and attractive to a brand new board gamer when I got it. And I really liked the idea of modular components to build your selected race+characteristic.

More players is definitely better to create the tension of everyone vying for limited territories, but it really fails as a 2-player game with very little interaction. Even when you meet up against your opponent's areas, it's usually just back and forth taking over the same areas where you meet. Really boring. Maybe if the 2-player board was even half the size, it might work better.

It's a shame you feel that way. I love SW and think 2p is where the magic happens. There is quite some strategy there in when to go for territory and when to kill off as many of your opponent's tokens. Most of my SW games are 2p, and they're never lacking interaction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It you can interpret "cool minis" as "great artwork"...sigh...so many of them...why can't anyone seem to make GOOD games with minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
It you can interpret "cool minis" as "great artwork"...sigh...so many of them...why can't anyone seem to make GOOD games with minis?

I think up until a couple of years ago, you had only a handful of examples to buck this trend (Space Hulk comes to mind). This has begun to change lately, though. A few games actually have seemed to have had to prove their worth because people were skeptical that there was a good game in the package along with the beautiful minis.

This and the cosmopolitan mixing of mechanics of Euro and thematic game mechanics has made this a cool time to be a gamer, despite the fact that I keep hearing that the Renaissance is over and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I think up until a couple of years ago, you had only a handful of examples to buck this trend (Space Hulk comes to mind).

Ooh. Yes, Space Hulk is definitely a good exception!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
secoAce wrote:
Small World

It's a shame you feel that way. I love SW and think 2p is where the magic happens. There is quite some strategy there in when to go for territory and when to kill off as many of your opponent's tokens. Most of my SW games are 2p, and they're never lacking interaction :)

Indeed, this lack of interaction is more of a player choice in this case. My wife and I have very aggressive games of small world 2p. Albeit we have better 2p games so don't hit that one quite as much. As with most games, the interaction is in how often you choose to interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb

Giants

I love the components and look of the game. Played it once at BGG.CON and was < meh. I almost want to buy the game so I can derive new rules to make it into a better game.

...but that will never happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Ringgeister

The crummy game and pieces are so unworthy of the beautiful board..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.