Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi All,

I just bought this game and played the first case last night.
Great fun!

But I had heard from some reviews that there are typos here and there and I thought I'd read (or saw in a review video somewhere) that one of the cases is unsolvable due to errors.

Is that correct?
Does anyone know which case this is?
And are there any other cases I should be careful with?

If there's no way to inform me without spoiling details of the case then I would rather not know.

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case three has some translation errors that make it, not really unsolvable, but a bit annoying in the end, since the solution is not that logical.

The rest are perfectly solvable, and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also one other instance where someone gives you an eye witness account of someone going eastward to a location that according to the map is westward. I think it's in Case 9.

Also, there is a case where you would have had a valuable lead in the newspaper, but it got cut as they scaled down from three pages to two.

Case 3 is a trainwreck, but it can't be blamed on any one typo. Don't feel bad if you do poorly on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Can we just skip case 3 and move on, or is it important to the subsequent cases that we slog through #3 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely can skip it. There are some cases where a future newspaper mentions a character from your case, which could serve as a very mild spoiler, but I do not think that will apply to case 3.

Make sure that you remember not to ignore newspaper 3 if you skip to Case 4. It's still in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Can we just skip case 3 and move on, or is it important to the subsequent cases that we slog through #3 ?

Here is a recent thread asking just that question. I don't feel confidant enough to summarize it or give an answer myself (I am rationing the cases).

Have fun! It's a great game despite some frustrating elements about which there is a good deal of consensus here in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

That's great. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Case three has some translation errors

As a reminder: The case numbers changed between the original (1981) and new (Ystari) editions, so it's better to refer to the cases by name. In this case "translation errors" makes it pretty clear which edition is being referred to.

At least in the old version, there are definitely cases where Holmes couldn't possibly have solved it the way he did, because the clues he supposedly used didn't contain facts (or even hints) that he relied on. As others have suggested: Enjoy the game, and don't fret about whether or not you are beating Holmes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never took it as Holmes' literal path to the solution. There are always intuitive leaps that are borderline superhuman. But I thought that was the thematic point. It never bothers me, and in fact is kind of amusing when you read Holmes' account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.